Home Other Games
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Planetside 2 - The Thread - Ding Dong Vanu Edition

Lambda217Lambda217 Registered, Moderator Posts: 534
edited January 2013 in Other Games #1
planetside2banner.jpg

Planetside 2 is set in the space future, where everyone decided to go to a different planet, found out it was terrible, and got into a big fight. It's an MMOFPS, so unlike conventional shooters where you shoot all the dudes in the room and the announcer voice comes on and says "Well done" and the American voice calls you a "Teamkilling faggot", all the shit's going down at once. There's three whole unique and massive continents, and it's up to you and your faction to sweep across them, capturing every base in your path.

There's a fuckton of different ways to wage war in Planetside. You can roll your tank across the plains of Amerish, demolishing all in your path, take to the skies above Esamir in a fighter VTOL, or have a tense close-quarter FPS shootout in a Bio Lab somewhere. And, since this is all happening at once, the battles can intersect in any manner of ways. Like the time I rolled over a tense close-quarter FPS shootout with my tank, and then a fighter VTOL crashed into me.

As you support your faction by killing dudes, you'll gain cert points you can use to upgrade your equipment. Each infantry class, from the stealthy spooky sniping Infiltrator to the badass powered armor MAX suit has a variety of different upgrades, weapons, and weapon upgrades to ensure maximum carnage on the battlefield.

The Factions

There's three factions vying for control of the planet, each with their own fighting style and doctrine, and you can choose your side.

Empires_TR.png
The Terran Republic are a bunch of Hitlers who use rapidly-firing but weak guns to ineffectively suppress any free thought or rebellion under their terrible rule.
Also known as: "Elmos","Fascists","Zergs"

Empires_NC.png
The New Conglomerate are a plucky band of heroes who valiantly battle against the Terrans with railguns and other magnetic weaponry to ensure freedom and democracy for all citizens.
Also known as: "Warriors","Badasses","Bomb-Ass Space Fighters"

Empires_VS.png
The Vanu Sovereignty are a bunch of bellends who cram technology into their heads and use ugly purple-colored space lasers to murder innocent people.
Also known as: "Barnies","Toasters","Fashion Disasters"

2214809-planetside2ncmax.jpg
planetside-2-reaver.jpg
planetside-2-1.jpg

Also, it's free, so why are you not getting it?

(yeah, there was a thread with Planetside 2 in the title, but it was for key giveaways so whatevs)

"I want you to show this world what it means to fear the sky."

Comments

• NinjrKillrNinjrKillr Registered Posts: 175
    I just came.... and started the download. Although, I'm leaving for two weeks tomorrow so I'll play then I guess.

"We fear that which we cannot see... we respect that which we cannot see... thus the blade will be wielded."

Urahara_Bleach_Signature_by_Harty73.png
  • AmaroqAmaroq Registered, Administrator Posts: 450
    I'm sorry, but if you're not Vanu, you're probably some whiny anarchist or Hitler.

Also, our guns are ridiculously accurate and have zero bullet-drop. NC weapons are kind of terrible and ineffective unless you're just spamming as many bullets as possible. No thought, only zerg.

GET WITH THE FUCKING VANU SON. THERE'S A REASON WHY WE PRETTY MUCH ALWAYS CONQUER INDAR AND ESAMIR.
  • KanzukeKanzuke Registered, Moderator Posts: 181
    I actually installed this game yesterday on my shiny (shit) new parallel'd Windows 8. Played it for the first time today.

Fell out of the sky with half a frame per second, stood still enough to get to the point where my FPS came out of decimals, got shot and died.

I haven't played it since. I think I may need to give the OS more than a gigabyte of ram.

EDIT: I'm trying it again now, giving it exactly half of my computers processing power/ram
    I still feel like the player model shouldn't look like this:

lcTYi.png
    (Click for full)

Lambda217: oh oh i am kanzuke and i love my little pony and now i'll make all the brandonphysics myself cause i know fuckin everything because now i'll make a big pony fighter drone squad and a big fuckin portal ship and i am a fuckin idiot
  • Ded10cDed10c Registered Posts: 136
    Kanzuke wrote:
    I actually installed this game yesterday on my shiny (shit) new parallel'd Windows 8. Played it for the first time today.

Fell out of the sky with half a frame per second, stood still enough to get to the point where my FPS came out of decimals, got shot and died.

I haven't played it since. I think I may need to give the OS more than a gigabyte of ram.

EDIT: I'm trying it again now, giving it exactly half of my computers processing power/ram
    I still feel like the player model shouldn't look like this:

lcTYi.png
    (Click for full)

Turn the graphics settings as low as you can, Planetside 2 doesn't properly utilise GPU or multicore processors.
  • evil haggisevil haggis Registered Posts: 22
    hi guys, if you havent noticed i havent been causeing my not-really-offencive mischief on the boards due to the fact i was having "login trouble". but anyways strait to my point. im sure that some of you who actually got planetside 2 have noticed "outfits" but this part is really to the unlikely amount of people who dont know about it, Outfits are simply like Clan tags that can help you keep track off people that are in the same outfit and in the same (i think) server, anyways strait to my main point. i suggest someone (or me) could start one or maybe a couple of outfits in diffrent servers so that everyone can get into combat with friends. but this is really only a suggestion so feel free to mock the haggis
    if you like me... you,r disgusting
  • Lambda217Lambda217 Registered, Moderator Posts: 534
    NC all day erry day

• AmaroqAmaroq Registered, Administrator Posts: 450
    Lambda217 wrote:
    NC all day erry day

But they're so boring. Also, they have inferior weapons and only tend to succeed when they can zerg hard enough to fill the air with bullets.
    Amaroq wrote:
    But they're so boring. Also, they have inferior weapons and only tend to succeed when they can zerg hard enough to fill the air with bullets.

like that one time I wiped out a squad of 8 barnies cause they tried to jam my scattergun with their corpses

1: this doesent help me with a yes/no ansewer

and 2....Terrans are the spray and prayers, NC guns tend to OP to other faction weapons, and Vanu...dont get me started with how many times i tried to sneak around and had plasma shot up ass
    Why not have a Diaspora group for each faction?
    AHadley wrote:

Cause that would be a sensible idea

vanu still suck

• LtBrandonLtBrandon Registered, Administrator Posts: 507
    AHadley wrote:
    I was considering yelling at everyone to make that happen last night :lol:
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Lλmbdλ: donations for coding the space future of diaspora :>

Get your extra long EVE trial here!
    What's with the rabid faction loyalty? I mean, it's not as though you're limited to one character each. One for each faction.

I play TR if I want MMS, NC if I want bulletspam, and VS when I want to go quake on somebody's arse.
    AHadley wrote:
    What's with the rabid faction loyalty? I mean, it's not as though you're limited to one character each. One for each faction.

I play TR if I want MMS, NC if I want bulletspam, and VS when I want to go quake on somebody's arse.

cause you gotta have loyalty and comradeship with your space brothers

Or you could just have three sets of spacebros :P
    AHadley wrote:
    Or you could just have three sets of spacebros :P

How can you be spacebros when you're shooting your friends in the dick a third of the time?

• LtBrandonLtBrandon Registered, Administrator Posts: 507
    I merged the groups topic into this one as it seemed that it should go here.

On the topic of groups fuhrball, one of fuhrball's friends, and I have an outfit on the SolTech server on the VS faction called "The Seal Cub Clubbin' Club" or SCCC. If anyone on other factions in SolTech wants to make an outfit for diaspora let me know cause I prefer the NC infiltrator over the VS or TR :lol:
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Lλmbdλ: donations for coding the space future of diaspora :>

Get your extra long EVE trial here!
  • Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    I made a TR player on Waterson and didn't do much else.

The Terran Republic's theme is the best.
    i will make an outfit on the server i am in, it is an EU server called mallory and it will be for NC. and you,r welcome for the suggestion :D
    everyone join brandon's bomb-ass group

we're the most tactical special-ops heavy assault team ever

we drive around all day erryday in a sunderer ruining shit and not giving a fuck

our only disadvantage is that we're vanu

AHadley wrote:
    VS when I want to go quake on somebody's arse.

Do I take it you've never had the joy of playing Quake, Lambda? :P
    AHadley wrote:
    Do I take it you've never had the joy of playing Quake, Lambda? :P

space future lasers < space future guns

case in point, the lasher

You remind me of all he hitscan hate in Tribes.
    People who go to soltech server , you mist this

?id=117880393
    Except, y'know, that happens on all servers from time to time. Any well organised Platoon can make this happen. Got one with a platoon of Flashes? Platoon of Fighters? No? It all happens, on all servers.

d708051d_im-just-saiyan.jpeg

"We fear that which we cannot see... we respect that which we cannot see... thus the blade will be wielded."

• Mouldy_TacoMouldy_Taco Registered, Moderator Posts: 133
    Yea, but you have to realise that the only strategy vanu can accomplish is mass vehicle zergs and magrider firing lines on hills miles away from any actual fight. So this is pretty standard.
    "If this works, it'll keep us from getting' caught. If it doesn't, it'll keep us from gettin' old," -- MacGyver
    In the right circumstances all three factions can accomplish any tactic they choose to implement.
    NinjrKillr wrote:
    Except, y'know, that happens on all servers from time to time. Any well organised Platoon can make this happen. Got one with a platoon of Flashes? Platoon of Fighters? No? It all happens, on all servers.

d708051d_im-just-saiyan.jpeg

that wasent really the Epic part, we only took 1 place and then...everybody including myself decided to drive all of the tanks down a hill which lead to the ocean, sooo we all got clusterfucked XD

and i have got to get involved in a Flash Platoon

(and also i need someone from the SCCC to invite me to the outfit so that i can take part in these "Spec ops" raids)
    so lads, what are your favorite classes

mine is the Heavy Assault. they are heavy enough to step on the enemies and squish them flat, and they also have giant space guns

i also like the Combat Medic for they can reanimate the dead

Lambda217 wrote:
    so lads, what are your favorite classes
    mine is the Heavy Assault. they are heavy enough to step on the enemies and squish them flat, and they also have giant space guns
    i also like the Combat Medic for they can reanimate the dead
    I've been favoring Medic and Engie. Medic when I'm on the ground, Engie when I'm driving vehicles. Majority of my certs have gone into Medic on my Australian server.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file