Home General
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

FeedTheBeast

Ded10cDed10c Registered Posts: 136
edited December 2012 in General #1
A quick heads-up that FeedTheBeast, the (legal) Tekkit replacement, has been released.

http://feed-the-beast.com/#FTBHero_wrapper

Comments

• SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    Sadly, installing that pretty much means throwing out what we currently have and starting a completely fresh world. If I don't hear any opposition to that and support of getting a better version of Tekkit, then I will take down the current server, post the world, and then run FTB.
  • KanzukeKanzuke Registered, Moderator Posts: 181
    Steeveeo wrote:
    Sadly, installing that pretty much means throwing out what we currently have and starting a completely fresh world. If I don't hear any opposition to that and support of getting a better version of Tekkit, then I will take down the current server, post the world, and then run FTB.

I'd be up for playing on a new FTB world, not that the word of a minecrafter who logged onto the Diaspora Server once should mean much

Lambda217: oh oh i am kanzuke and i love my little pony and now i'll make all the brandonphysics myself cause i know fuckin everything because now i'll make a big pony fighter drone squad and a big fuckin portal ship and i am a fuckin idiot
    Kanzuke wrote:
    I'd be up for playing on a new FTB world, not that the word of a minecrafter who logged onto the Diaspora Server once should mean much
    Well, it's usually more than I hear from the regular players, oddly enough.
  • Ded10cDed10c Registered Posts: 136
    Support.
  • NinjrKillrNinjrKillr Registered Posts: 175
    Better version of Tekkit? Starting again? Yes please! :D

"We fear that which we cannot see... we respect that which we cannot see... thus the blade will be wielded."

Urahara_Bleach_Signature_by_Harty73.png
  • LtBrandonLtBrandon Registered, Administrator Posts: 507
    If it means I can set my factory to "WHAT THE FUCK" mode and produce nukes for ending myself, then sure go for it.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Lλmbdλ: donations for coding the space future of diaspora :>

Get your extra long EVE trial here!
  • A Knight Of NiA Knight Of Ni Registered Posts: 9
    I just downloaded it and tried it... Dear god, IC gets a whole load of new items I haven't even begun to fathom what they do or how, theres a whole load of things for iridium and solars are even more op than before, it is frightening how much there is, but watch out, some items when you look at the recipe crashes you.
    I can't seem to find a nice merged wiki for all of the mods, so I think we're going to have to wiki surf to understand everything again.

"We fear that which we cannot see... we respect that which we cannot see... thus the blade will be wielded."

NinjrKillr wrote:
    I can't seem to find a nice merged wiki for all of the mods, so I think we're going to have to wiki surf to understand everything again.
    Noting that Tekkit's wiki was only slightly useful, nothing has really changed.

Looks like nobody is really against this so far, so we'll probably start the switch sometime soon. However, I am also heading back down to my folks' for Thanksgiving and will be back on the 30th. I would like to have direct access to the server to smooth out the kinks rather than having to do everything via VPN, FTP, and command line.

Also, I will look into finally releasing the lockdown on the servers after I'm done setting up FTB Modpack. Would be nice having some fresh faces in the game. First, though, I have to properly setup some anti-grief before we can do that.
    Wouldn't it be more fun to try and work FtB out without using the internet? Limit ourselves to only what the mod gives us? Sounds like more of a challenge :P
    Have a group challenge to do it without any wikis and without NEI? Seems fun, and it should make stuff slightly more difficult :)

I wasn't going to say don't use NEI, but I suppose it's an option.
    My house is now a giant, smoking, radioactive crater.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

• xX Lord Anubis XxxX Lord Anubis Xx Registered Posts: 170
    A chance to begin again?

Fuck yeah bro.
    Anyone get the Fallout New Vegas Dead Money reference?
    Every Human Being has some capacity for evil. It's just that some Humans have a greater capacity for evil than others.
  • Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    I would like to see us try a more structured construction, where we work together to form a city before we chose to spread out and make our own giant compounds.
    Nielk1 wrote:
    I would like to see us try a more structured construction, where we work together to form a city before we chose to spread out and make our own giant compounds.
    I'm all for this, actually. It would make things more fun, the co-operation between people. However, it could all be ruined by one person spending a few straight days playing and ending up with end-game stuff for the whole group.

However, *shrug*, if not everyone wants to do it - I'll join up with those that do, still.

Since we would be concerned with purposing buildings, creating the infrastructure, etc, I think we should be safe from going too fast unless someone doesn't actually want to build a city.
    Since that's what we intended to do with Tekkit anyway, we might as well do it now while we have an excuse :P

I've heard people say FtB doesn't include EE3, but it does. I've also heard it doesn't include Redpower, also incorrect. This should help. It's not perfect; it was pulled together by crossreferencing the two lists, so some things may have been included elsewhere.

Forestry
    Steve's Carts
    Portal Gun
    Extra Biomes XL
    Secret Rooms
    Thaumcraft
    Twilight Forest
    Greg's Lightning
    Mystcraft
    Equivalent Exchange 2
    upgraded to Equivalent Exchange 3
    Buildcraft
    upgraded to Buildcraft 3

Balkon's Weapon Mod
    Dimensional Anchors
    Nether Ores
    Wireless Redstone Chicken Bones Edition
    downgraded to Wireless Redstone
    Power Converters
    MAtmos
    Inventory Tweaks
    AHadley wrote:
    Since that's what we intended to do with Tekkit anyway, we might as well do it now while we have an excuse :P

I've heard people say FtB doesn't include EE3, but it does. I've also heard it doesn't include Redpower, also incorrect. This should help. It's not perfect; it was pulled together by crossreferencing the two lists, so some things may have been included elsewhere.

Forestry
    Steve's Carts
    Portal Gun
    Extra Biomes XL
    Secret Rooms
    Thaumcraft
    Twilight Forest
    Greg's Lightning
    Mystcraft
    Equivalent Exchange 2
    upgraded to Equivalent Exchange 3
    Buildcraft
    upgraded to Buildcraft 3

Balkon's Weapon Mod
    Dimensional Anchors
    Nether Ores
    Wireless Redstone Chicken Bones Edition
    downgraded to Wireless Redstone
    Power Converters
    MAtmos
    Inventory Tweaks
    I was just playing it an hour ago and there is not a single EE3 item in the current pack, EE3 is supposed to be there, but after checking the files it isn't anywhere.

I need to note EE3 has no collectors, condensers, and red-matter.
    Nielk1 wrote:
    I need to note EE3 has no collectors, condensers, and red-matter.
    Thank. Fucking. God. That's what killed Tekkit for me, I was able to get anything far too easily.

EE3 is indeed completely different to EE2. In fact, it might be an interesting project to attempt to combine both versions (though not necessarily for our own use).
    I am designing a custom server, but its got custom mods that are slow to make. Hopefully it can become a diaspora server at some point. Knowing a Forge Admin helps make things easy. :P
    Gunna delay switching to FTB for a bit longer. Seems that some of the key mods haven't yet been updated for the current version, so I'll give it another week for them to do so. December 7th, for those of you who love exact dates.
  • Mouldy_TacoMouldy_Taco Registered, Moderator Posts: 133
    I've been playing some multiplayer FTB, and I will advise you to distribute the Mystcraft age symbols to everyone on the server.

Otherwise, people will just make dozens and dozens of ages to learn the symbols themselves, which will put a huge strain on your hard drive.

If you would like, when you first bring up the server some of us could blitz through a couple dozen ages to unlock the majority of the symbols, then distribute them through a chest located at spawn using descriptive books.
    "If this works, it'll keep us from getting' caught. If it doesn't, it'll keep us from gettin' old," -- MacGyver
    I've been playing some multiplayer FTB, and I will advise you to distribute the Mystcraft age symbols to everyone on the server.

Otherwise, people will just make dozens and dozens of ages to learn the symbols themselves, which will put a huge strain on your hard drive.

If you would like, when you first bring up the server some of us could blitz through a couple dozen ages to unlock the majority of the symbols, then distribute them through a chest located at spawn using descriptive books.
    I'm playing a bit of FTB to get familiar with it, I'll take a look through some of these new mods when I get my base setup for it. What's with these "Ages" and "Symbols"?
    Mystcraft adds the capability to define your own ages in minecraft using symbols, and each symbol will apply a different property to an age.

Imagine the way the Overworld, Nether, and End are layed out on the server. Now imagine the capability for players to create their own worlds similar to the Overworld, but separate, requiring specific books in order to pass between. That's basically what an Age is, a player-defined world. You're able to pick and choose what biomes you want, size of biomes, sky color, daylight properties(constant daylight is an option), and special world properties like the addition of mineshafts, caves, dungeons, or strongholds. All of that is dependant on which symbols you have unlocked, however.

Failing to write an age properly will lead to instability, causing the age to slowly destroy itself, which is why you must be careful when exploring ages until you know they are stable.
    "If this works, it'll keep us from getting' caught. If it doesn't, it'll keep us from gettin' old," -- MacGyver
    Do ages persist or are they there for as long as the player has it open?
    I volunteer to be part of a team to explore this.
    Ages are permanent and can only be removed by deleting them off the hard drive manually, which is why it can be such a problem to have everyone on the server creating lots of them.

The benefit of making an age is that it is only accessible if you have a book that links to it, and those books have to be created by the player that owns the age. It's basically a way to escape griefing in the overworld to a world people can't follow you into.
This discussion has been closed.