Home Suggestions
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Pulse laser?

xX Lord Anubis XxxX Lord Anubis Xx Registered Posts: 170
edited April 2012 in Suggestions #1
So I was thinking.... We already have lasers that fire continuously until overheating or shutdown, why not have lasers that just fire a pulse? Just an idea. I think it would look kinda cool.
Every Human Being has some capacity for evil. It's just that some Humans have a greater capacity for evil than others.

Comments

• locko1997locko1997 Registered Posts: 2
    nice idea :B
  • RagetankRagetank Registered Posts: 34
    +1
    Follow my Company on MODDB Thank you!
    http://www.moddb.com/company/ragetank-industries
  • AmaroqAmaroq Registered, Administrator Posts: 450
    We do. It's called Asgard Beam.
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    I've always wanted the beam weapons to act more like the ion beam cannons from Homeworld, rather than long Damage-Over-Time weapons. Seems more viable in combat.
  • KanzukeKanzuke Registered, Moderator Posts: 181
    Should function like a beam, as in no fixed velocity and moves in straight line, but a much shorter or no spin time and the laser cuts off after a second or so. A bit like the phaser but hitscan like the beams and actually with any sort of useful range.

I approve of this idea.

Lets get Brandon to make it, so then it can fire backwards!

Lambda217: oh oh i am kanzuke and i love my little pony and now i'll make all the brandonphysics myself cause i know fuckin everything because now i'll make a big pony fighter drone squad and a big fuckin portal ship and i am a fuckin idiot
  • Lambda217Lambda217 Registered, Moderator Posts: 534
    As they'd just be traces, it would be less laggy than pulse cannons. Are we going to be doing any forced inaccuracy to avoid the undodgablity issue?

"I want you to show this world what it means to fear the sky."
  • xX Lord Anubis XxxX Lord Anubis Xx Registered Posts: 170
    Anyone remember the Laser arty/Pulse lasers from EVE Online? That's where I got the idea. If it could function like that then we can have a nice beam weapon that isn't derpy like the normal beams.

Normal beams are all ubalanced, cruiser beams overload in 20 second whereas Capital beams take 10 minutes-infinity x to overload.

EDIT:
    Amaroq wrote:
    We do. It's called Asgard Beam.

Well, Asgards (The normal asgards, not those ridiculous instakill las0rz of death Dune made) are mainly used for taking down SG shields. I was thinking that because it was a pulse, it would be really effective against Cores, but also good enough against shields that it would be better than normal beams, but wouldn't instakill SG shields like Asgards do.
    Every Human Being has some capacity for evil. It's just that some Humans have a greater capacity for evil than others.
  • Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    Interestingly, real lasers would be a rapidly pulsing but otherwise solid beam doing more and more damage if it kept hitting the same spot (not counting shields of course).
  • xX Lord Anubis XxxX Lord Anubis Xx Registered Posts: 170
    Nielk1 wrote:
    Interestingly, real lasers would be a rapidly pulsing but otherwise solid beam doing more and more damage if it kept hitting the same spot (not counting shields of course).

Yes, I realize that, but still. Lets be honest, I don't really think that many people would care about realism.
  • Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    Nielk1 wrote:

Yes, I realize that, but still. Lets be honest, I don't really think that many people would care about realism.

Oh I know. I am mostly considering it for a side project I hope to start some time soon.
  • NinjrKillrNinjrKillr Registered Posts: 175
    +5 for realism, silly Noobis, realism > unrealism. Why you no pay attention to most new games? They're all getting more realistic, therefore Realism > Unrealism.

"We fear that which we cannot see... we respect that which we cannot see... thus the blade will be wielded."

Urahara_Bleach_Signature_by_Harty73.png
  • AmaroqAmaroq Registered, Administrator Posts: 450
    NinjrKillr wrote:
    +5 for realism, silly Noobis, realism > unrealism. Why you no pay attention to most new games? They're all getting more realistic, therefore Realism > Unrealism.

Says the guy with a Bleach character in his signature.
  • LtBrandonLtBrandon Registered, Administrator Posts: 507
    Amaroq wrote:
    NinjrKillr wrote:

Says the guy with a Bleach character in his signature.
    ..That made me laugh a lot more than it should have. Can we go back on topic now kthx? Before I have to nom this thread?
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Lλmbdλ: donations for coding the space future of diaspora :>

Get your extra long EVE trial here!
  • Lambda217Lambda217 Registered, Moderator Posts: 534
    pulse lasers very good put on the frigates, put on the cruisers, make the boom and not a lag

"I want you to show this world what it means to fear the sky."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file