Home Suggestions
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Spawn World Exodus

Alex4921Alex4921 Registered Posts: 139
edited May 2011 in Suggestions #1
Well i have just spent quite an interesting afternoon on the dev server where some bright spark managed to move the atmosphere entirely offworld however instead of resulting in everybody leaving it instead resulted in everybody moving offworld to make bases on various planets which i myself think was a great change from everyone spawn camping and the occasional spaceship battle so here is my proposal

There would be a small timer under/next to the map timer titled "Exodus" which would be around half an hour and each half an hour the spawn planet dies within 1-2 minutes(Perhaps it heats up,perhaps it loses Oxygen I don't know but making it randomized would be nice) and that would require people to move off-world into planetary bases or into space for the next half hour while the earths atmosphere is toxic.

However you will see a problem there in that people will spawn on a dead world so here is the solution:
Use the Enviroments addon to define new mini atmospheres near the actual spawn point with quite a small radius(Just enough to build a suit dispenser or a teleporter or something small that allows them to leave the planet) so they can get their resources and move off to another persons base.

Quite an interesting idea from the dev server and tbh a Wholly unexpected side effect!
The quieter you are,the more you are able to hear.

Comments

• SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    This was tried before the fall of McBuilds. Forcing people off the spawn planet ended up being a HORRENDOUS idea. When it was put into play so long ago, many people left, or threatened to leave until it was put back to normal.

This kind of accidental gameplay is interesting, for sure. However, it makes sense only if the game is built around it. Enforcing it as a rule all the time is just contrived otherwise, and is extremely unfair to those who just want to build, code E2, and those who join late.
  • Alex4921Alex4921 Registered Posts: 139
    Steeveeo wrote:
    This was tried before the fall of McBuilds. Forcing people off the spawn planet ended up being a HORRENDOUS idea. When it was put into play so long ago, many people left, or threatened to leave until it was put back to normal.

This kind of accidental gameplay is interesting, for sure. However, it makes sense only if the game is built around it. Enforcing it as a rule all the time is just contrived otherwise, and is extremely unfair to those who just want to build, code E2, and those who join late.
    Yeah i thought something like this may have been tried but that was a very interesting day on the dev server where everybody was trying to get by in space rather than just camping on earth constantly but its unfortunate that it can not be made an actual thing rather than a result of Moonwalker teleporting the atmosphere
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    I would be willing to allow an official event based on this now and then, but the users would need some warning, rather than saying that "this is how it works now, deal."
    Steeveeo wrote:
    I would be willing to allow an official event based on this now and then, but the users would need some warning, rather than saying that "this is how it works now, deal."
    Indeed
    Once-twice a week on weekends for an entire map change would be nice(20 mins at start of map,then spawn world dies and 20 mins is added to timer).
    If you dont want to code an Auto-Kill just make an atmosphere drainer to suck all the Oxygen out.
  • Lambda217Lambda217 Registered, Moderator Posts: 534
    Earth that was could no longer sustain our numbers, we were so many. We found a new solar system, dozens of planets and hundreds of moons. Each one terraformed, a process taking decades, to support human life, to be new Earths. The Central Planets formed the Alliance. Ruled by an interplanetary parliament, the Alliance was a beacon of civilization. The savage outer planets were not so enlightened and refused Alliance control. The war was devastating, but the Alliance's victory over the Independents ensured a safer universe. And now everyone can enjoy the comfort and enlightenment of true civilization.

"I want you to show this world what it means to fear the sky."
    Lambda217 wrote:
    Earth that was could no longer sustain our numbers, we were so many. We found a new solar system, dozens of planets and hundreds of moons. Each one terraformed, a process taking decades, to support human life, to be new Earths. The Central Planets formed the Alliance. Ruled by an interplanetary parliament, the Alliance was a beacon of civilization. The savage outer planets were not so enlightened and refused Alliance control. The war was devastating, but the Alliance's victory over the Independents ensured a safer universe. And now everyone can enjoy the comfort and enlightenment of true civilization.
    Firefly Derp derp derp derp herp serenity derp herp.
  • Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    Alex4921 wrote:
    Lambda217 wrote:

That is actually a really old and very corny Scifi Earth Exodus story. That *specific* quote being from Firefly.
    Nielk1 wrote:
    Alex4921 wrote:
    Lambda217 wrote:

That is actually a really old and very corny Scifi Earth Exodus story. That *specific* quote being from Firefly.
    Notice how the first word i said was "Firefly"
    And how the 3rd last was "Serenity" which is the name of the ship and movie.
  • Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    Alex4921 wrote:
    Nielk1 wrote:
    Alex4921 wrote:

Notice how the first word i said was "Firefly"
    And how the 3rd last was "Serenity" which is the name of the ship and movie.
    Yes, but god forbid someone concurs with you, you have to call them out on the fact... that... they agreed with you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file