Home Tech Support
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Suit longevity, smart linking your seat?

NormallyClosedSwitchNormallyClosedSwitch Registered Posts: 137
edited June 2011 in Tech Support #1
Ok, The suit lasting only like 2mins, is that really necessary?

I understand the point being a survival encouragement point of view, but let<s face it, it<s not really realistic, and above all, VERY annoying. Unless it<s been fixed recently, LS core arn<t working very well. I<m always relying on a suit cuz LS core ain<t providing LS properly.

And why have u took out the thing about smart linking your seat to a res cache to provide oxy, coolant and energy? The fact is, that if you have a suit able to control the ressources input and give it to you, you can in fact just plug a hose into your suit from your cache to provide you extended ressources.

Between the 2min suit, the LS core not doing his job and the removal of smart linking your seat, it<s not really funny to choke every 2min...

I<m kinda seeing a tendency to put certain mesures in place to create a "survival envirronement" setting. Try not to put too much constrains where the essencial success of the server, being building ship and fighting will become second task. You<r not the first to try to do it, just look at Rockstar when they<ve put food in GTA San andreas... did they kept the food thing in GTA4? of course not! and it wasn<t that much of a stress on the player, you would have to eat every couple of days but it was still too much.
"...wait, this IS rocket science!!!"

Comments

• SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    Which server was this on? As far as I know, the seats can still be linked on the Dev server under normal LS3Core. However, I cannot say the same for the Main server's Environments, as I have seen a multitude of problems with it (main reason why it was taken off the Dev server in the first place) and it may be related to this.
  • NormallyClosedSwitchNormallyClosedSwitch Registered Posts: 137
    On the main

Oh so it<s not permanent, good
    Please try it on the Dev server and let me know how it works out there.

Also, what's with the '<' replacing your apostrophes?
  • slayer123456493slayer123456493 Registered Posts: 25
    not sure if this will help but i was just on the dev server and it was working fine, i had linked a seat to a node and was able to fly around withour suit stuff depleting
  • Lambda217Lambda217 Registered, Moderator Posts: 534
    Matthew did mention in the Facepunch thread that he had updated Enviroments to work with seat linking.

"I want you to show this world what it means to fear the sky."
  • Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    Lambda217 wrote:
    Matthew did mention in the Facepunch thread that he had updated Enviroments to work with seat linking.

Did he? Because he went off on me a few months back when I brought it up saying it wasn't 'realistic enough'.
    Nielk1 wrote:
    Lambda217 wrote:

Did he? Because he went off on me a few months back when I brought it up saying it wasn't 'realistic enough'.
    People can change their minds if persuaded enough.

Sadly, he still has yet to win me over for that mod, it just interferes with too much. Sometime within the next month or so, if I don't see any real performance differences or reliable reports of such, I'll remove it from the main as well.
    Maybe we should just use SB4, etc. (I know it isn't done yet.)
  • DaraconDaracon Registered Posts: 41
    can we get a link in here for SB4 or maybe a new thread so it can be looked at and discussed
  • AmaroqAmaroq Registered, Administrator Posts: 450
    SB4 has been dead for months. Snake has either abandoned it for now, or is just bored of it all.

Either way, zero progress has happened in more than a quarter of a year.
    Damn.

Well, lets discuss what would be best in an underlying system and move on from there.

I liked the way LS3 had one 'gas compressor' entity that was given parameters when spawned thus deciding what type it was. It cuts down on class count.

I liked the way central resource nodes worked, but I miss the ability to do easy auto-linking. Seeking the closes constrained node might make auto-linking a possibility again. Another option would be to bring back the old style from LS2 but have the code always generate and run an optimized background model of nodes, but I don't love that one.
    Well, I don't know if it is possible to do it ourself without snakeSVx, but having low props entities models would be awesome.

I've made a post on snakeSVx forum but it havn't been posted yet since you have to be "validated" first.

I was thinking about about a diablo inventory like system where u setup your station on a 2d interface, where the actual prop(entity) would be a simple box or whatever, and every components would be informal only.

Then I was thinking, what about having e2 fonctions that would act as LS entities. Or have a chip that would gather a contraptions LS entities and wire and build a chip that would do everything your contraption do.

Anyway, I doubt we can do anything here but knock on SnakeSVx door but I'm just saying..

Low props version of EVERY CAF system entities would still be A LOT.
    Also, what's with the '<' replacing your apostrophes?

Shooorehhh
    I'm always switching from french to US keyboard and It takes me a second or 2 to remember where the proper ' is so I sometime just press the french ' position(<)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file