Home General
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Take back the cores!

Alex4921Alex4921 Registered Posts: 139
edited May 2011 in General #1
Well i have been meaning to write this for a while however due to lack of time and pretty pictures to demonstrate i had to write it now...

TLDR IS AT THE END FOR LAZY/GRUMPY PEOPLE

Firstly lets start off by clarifying what i am on about which is of course the Nerfing of the cores mentioned in this small yet horribly game wrecking changelog post:
Grumpy wrote:
[(UN)BALANCE] The Core hp multipliers reduced back to 1, hull to 1.5

To start off with lets just get a little picture of the ship i had used previously to the core nerf:
BF36A675F3020E50B49CF55204DFA6184C72DDF5
Quite a nice looking little frigate yes?
Well before the nerf it was fairly decent,could stand up to quite a bit of firepower for some time however after the nerf this happened:
A0E2F22DDFD2E33C4CFDBFD9FFCD67D4FF5BFE43
Incase you cant see that and cant be bothered to click it let me clarify with these stats:
Hull:8610
Armor:4100
Shield:19,852
In short this ship had been reduce from a fairly decent frigate to a flying pile of rust that couldn't stand up to a few blasts of a MKII pulse laser which of course resulted in bigger ships being built.

[INTERRUPTION]:

Zardian will no doubt say "ZOMG YOU NEED TO AVOID SHOTS AS SMALL SHIPS!!!" but before he does lets introduce you to a friend of mine:
C0B511239876EF58BDC7728C99644F81CBA78143
Say hello to Mr Beam turret,a PERFECTLY VALID and REALISTIC strategy(Ever seen a naval ship that had to swing the ship round to fire,or do you see them with rotating turrets that aim themselves?) however with this single item you render all but the stupidest of frigate or fighter useless.
Notice I said All but the stupidest frigate as some of you will cry ZOMG REMA HAS A TIE FIGHTER,IT DODGES BEAM TURRETS!(Validated by Mouldy_Taco) then let me just say these things;
  • His fighter uses an Expression2 to bypass the MAX gyropod speed limit(Even with PN fuel)
  • His fighter does a scrawny amount of damage compared to anything else remotely bigger(That frigate i showed earlier does about 10x his damage)
  • He has to refuel it every few minutes
Now if thats how you want battles,with pathetically small ships doing pathetic amounts of damage while having to zoom about at 0.5C then that's fine(Dont blame me for the time dilation) however i hope you have the reflexes of the fastest cheetah as even Rema said "Its so hard zipping about dodging asteroid and shit while trying to aim that thing remotely in the right direction"
[/INTERRUPTION]

So lets get back to the previous point of bigger ships needing to be built in order to stand up to a remote amount of firepower and to that point let me introduce the USS Dickwad:
AA254BBC8F9F7D03C19919B70E19831C76CBA674
As you can see from this picture,the ship is fairly big with a large amount of internal space and before Zard's almighty fuckup this ship could really hold its own in battle where it was like a tank,but was not unstoppable with good strategy or teamwork HOWEVER after his core fuckup the stats are as follows:
6DDC19A10AD6954AE99BBB6980EE0E48B14EC1B5
Hull:3210
Armor:15,240
Shield:50,310
Wow you say,thats a fairly decent stat but what you dont know(Or perhaps have forgotten) is that a Big Bertha does 50K damage(But IMO it does quite a bit more as I have seen it take out 100K shield ships and thats not to mention the other stats) so this ship is again simply a 1 shot wonder with a bertha or just a few seconds(10~) with a MKII Pulse cannon and again in a real battle that is truly pathetic so what i have decided to do is this:
D9A23A2CC9F78D665DB951686122ADFCCE7BE17B
That is what is called a DS system or a Dual Shield system,basically if one falls the other one takes over and this drastically improves the lifespan of my ship to about 1/2 the power it had before this ridiculous nerf however an unfortunate side effect of this is that SG shields lag quite badly but oh dear whats that i hear,asgard beam lasers rip them right open as they(Along with EVERY WEAPON) have not been scaled down with the cores so what Zard could have done instead is simply made all the weapons 4x more powerful to achieve the same effect!

Finally i settled on a design i am going to use from after this nerf and this design is actually quite an old one but Zardian has forced it again into service:
2676118A2A6BD4C5801C477A09D2FE755A181535
Before the nerf this thing was really a titan in all sense of the word,it had a huge amount of shield,Armor and Hull(Along with a weak SG shield for effect but that didnt do much) so it took teamwork by other people to bring it down and that resulted in some truly spectacular battles(The last of which ended up with me flying kamikaze into another ship and destroying us all in a nice fireball including all the other little ships about attacking me)
Anyway back the point,i have had to dig this ship out mainly because of its ridiculous overuse of props,this was NOT an intentional feature of the design but in order to achieve the good looking ship I got there I had to clip props into each other ALOT:
5048602088D657303B9A84967FCB97D816728933
Yes that is part of my ship,and yes that is an engine clipped inside.
Finally all of these lovely props on my nice ship resulted in an average(For before nerf) titan core strength:
?
Hull:256,140
Armor:211,899
Shield:914,862
Now you may think WOW that is strong however that is a whopping 2-3 blasts with a bertha combined with gradual firepower from a few MKII's so all in all a battle with that would last a fairly decent length of time unlike the other ships which typically last about 30 seconds MAXIMUM i made this one hit a whopping 1 minute after the core fuckup.
Lets change back these cores to what they originally were before Zardian screwed them up!
Post your opinions below and vote on the poll.

TL:DR
What i am proposing is that we change back the cores to what they were for these reasons:
  • Reduces Prop spam as currently you need prop spam to get a high core(Even Taco is doing it with a ton of props PA'd into a nice circle)
  • Reduces lag as the use of SG shields is reduced
  • Increases the time of battles which makes for much more fun battles
  • Increased strategic thinking and teamwork in order to take down the larger ships(Katelyn's Titan was great fun in teams of about 2-3 and quite doable)
  • Fixed ships that don't require them to be ungainly huge in order to gain some sort of core
  • Usage of Fighters,frigates and light cruisers again as they become viable options in combat without bypassing the PN fuel speed limit or just doing a Rema and bypassing the speed limit all-together even with PN
Also don't be lazy and read the post,it has a lot of useful info and pretty pictures
Post your opinions below and vote on the poll.
The quieter you are,the more you are able to hear.

Comments

• AmaroqAmaroq Registered, Administrator Posts: 450
    I can agree with most of this.

The only thing I dislike is the longer battles thing, but that's mostly because it's typically just more time with 100+ lasers/beams/whatever flying everywhere. Weapon spam is still a pretty big issue that needs to be resolved.
  • Alex4921Alex4921 Registered Posts: 139
    Amaroq wrote:
    I can agree with most of this.

The only thing I dislike is the longer battles thing, but that's mostly because it's typically just more time with 100+ lasers/beams/whatever flying everywhere. Weapon spam is still a pretty big issue that needs to be resolved.
    Longer battles are more fun but I suppose with like 100 weapons it might get bad,especially if they are just 2 ships.
    However if its a fleet battle that amount of weapon fire would be acceptable IMO
  • Lambda217Lambda217 Registered, Moderator Posts: 534
    I'll vote yes because now people are resorting to using dual SG shields with Taco's energy system, which is effectively godmode against anything but asgards. Beam turrets are still going to be raping anything but ships big enough to take constant unavoidable damage however.

"I want you to show this world what it means to fear the sky."
  • D4RK354B3RD4RK354B3R Registered Posts: 18
    The whole idea of nerfing the cores was to "reset" everything and work from the start to rebalance everything.
    The problem is that, as far as I know, only the cores were reset and the weapons have yet to be rebalanced at all.

Pulse Cannons still dominate most battles (and somehow for having the highest DPS, they take only energy).
    Missiles aren't really used anymore, so the most common weapons have become Beams, Mjolnirs, Laser Blasters, and Pulse Cannons.
    And drones, oddly.

I think that the only way to really resolve the balance problems is to tie the damned weapons in to the core already.
  • ZardianZardian Registered Posts: 88
    i didnt even read ur entire steampiling thread, the cores dont last for shit because of YOU.
    YOU STACK THOSE WEAPONS AND MAKE YOURSELVES FAIL.

as for beams and other thingys avoiding speedtanking, im looking into them, thanks and have a good day, youve made ur point and can stop spamming the matter, it wont affect shit.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    the eternal pain in our beloved superadmins asses. Does stuff.
    Zardian wrote:
    i didnt even read ur entire steampiling thread, the cores dont last for shit because of YOU.

as for beams and other thingys avoiding speedtanking, im looking into them, thanks and have a good day, youve made ur point and can stop spamming the matter, it wont affect shit.
    You cant just change everything if nobody wants it to happen.
    You aren't god.
    You also cant just say "Fuck you,im not listening to the community" because in effect that is exactly what you just did.
    Zardian wrote:

If you're saying that spamming weapons is the cause of the cores dying quickly, I have one pulse gun and it pretty much shredded a cruiser in 5 seconds.

i think i just did, assuming for some reason you=community.
    listen, the cores were this strong compared to weapons back in mcbuilds, it worked fine so drop the rage for a second and THINK!
    why is that?
    thats right, its the weapon spam, MK II pulse cannon is a fucking battleship main weapon for fuck sakes, its something you are supposed to barely power on a battleship, not spam 4 of on a frigate.

oh yeah sg shields, shall we set a static limit of 1 then or would you please use ur brains and not abuse their potential strenght?
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Zardian wrote:
    disregard poll, yell at OP

Zardian wrote:
    listen, the cores were this strong compared to weapons back in mcbuilds, it worked fine so drop the rage for a second and THINK!
    why is that?
    thats right, its the weapon spam, MK II pulse cannon is a fucking battleship main weapon for fuck sakes, its something you are supposed to barely power on a battleship, not spam 4 of on a frigate.

oh yeah sg shields, shall we set a static limit of 1 then or would you please use ur brains and not abuse their potential strenght?
    Dude you are the one raging,lets get a few things straight
    1:MKII's are not difficult to power at all
    2:The limit is 2 so spamming 4 on a frigate is impossible
    3:To get any remotely interesting battles now you have to use more than 1 SG shield thanks to your stupid core nerf.

I'm not the one whos mad.
    Also I am not the community,everyone looking at this thread and voting in it is except you,you seem to be on another planet(No pun intended) where there has obviously been no functioning communications array to the community for weeks.

Stop raging and let other people post their opinion on this before you waltz in and say HERR DURR FUCK YOU IM GOING TO KEEP BREAKING EVERYTHING!
    Alex4921 wrote:
    Longer battles are more fun but I suppose with like 100 weapons it might get bad,especially if they are just 2 ships.
    However if its a fleet battle that amount of weapon fire would be acceptable IMO

You missed what I meant. I don't care about the gameplay, in what I'm saying right now. Weapon spam is a problem because of LAG reasons, not gameplay mechanics. Though, to be honest, it's probably both.
    Also, people in this thread: Please stop raging at each other. If someone else starts doing it, raging back isn't going to help. All they'll do is become defensive, and not hear what you have to say.
    Amaroq wrote:
    Alex4921 wrote:

You missed what I meant. I don't care about the gameplay, in what I'm saying right now. Weapon spam is a problem because of LAG reasons, not gameplay mechanics. Though, to be honest, it's probably both.

Lag from projectiles is quite a problem. Most space battles resemble fireworks displays, and apparently "cruiser" now means "pulse cannon limit".

Lambda217 wrote:
    Amaroq wrote:
    Alex4921 wrote:

Lag from projectiles is quite a problem. Most space battles resemble fireworks displays, and apparently "cruiser" now means "pulse cannon limit".
    Which to be fair is only 2 and not the previously stated 4.
    Also as for lag the only weapons i find to seriously lag would be MJ's,Drones and fighter lasers(God how i hate drones,so many of them,so little damage,so much ent lag)

Also some irony for you,here is zard moaning about something:
    Grumpy wrote:
    -dmg/hp ratio, seriously, the guns do quite a ton of damage and fightes between bloody capital ships last seconds, minutes tops.
    [Dubby] : Core health was already tripled. You don't need to ask for it twice.
    Notice how he claimed the core health was TOO LOW now he actually took it all back off?
  • KamekaziKamekazi Registered Posts: 36
    I agree that the 1x multiplier cores are too small, and lead to massive ships and lag, and 4x may be a bit too much. I vote that they be set somewhere above 2 and below 4.
    I set the core mult to 2.5 . It's not as much as before, but it's also a fairly decent buff. I have been monitoring the servers, and will see which one causes more problems.

Take this as a hint: If you don't spam weapons, or try to spray as many projectiles at your targets as you possible can, the core buff will stay. I would highly suggest sticking to this.
    i dont know where the hell you managed to dig that up from but that was when i mistaked spartan torps insane dmg to apply to all weapons.
    get ur facts straight and stop haunting me, fuhrs going to give ur core hp mania back and im about done with you.
  • KamekaziKamekazi Registered Posts: 36
    I have noticed that the pulse mkII cannons lag quite a bit as well. perhaps limit to 1 instead of 2, or a reduction of fire rate. Just a thought.
  • Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    Everybody basically thinks of cores as 'get the biggest HULL/ARMOR/SHIELD and WINNNN'.

I propose that while we attempt to fix it in its current form, we also plan around implementing a more complex system. Technicly now, TMK, we have Kinetic and Energy weapons. I sugest we make the selection more expansive in type and properties and do the same to the cores. Hopefully we can also make something out of my Personality Sphere ideas and make the system much more fun and entertaining.

Basically, why is it just numbers and DPS? Why don't we have classes of damage, classes of resistance, etc, etc? The simplest way to explain this would be the old Pokemon Elemental system. Or hell even Runescape's Triangle were Armor is good vs Range is good vs Mage is good vs Armor would be better. We need SOMETHING to make it an entirely different matter.
    Cores will become the MMO of Gmod. We need Constitution, Endurance, Presence, Strength, Dexterity, Recovery! And Dodges. Ooooohhh, do we need Dodge chance. Ninjas will be had.
    Amaroq wrote:
    Cores will become the MMO of Gmod. We need Constitution, Endurance, Presence, Strength, Dexterity, Recovery! And Dodges. Ooooohhh, do we need Dodge chance. Ninjas will be had.

LMAO... I can;t tell if you are serious, sarcastically agreeing, or sarcastically disagreeing.
  • Mouldy_TacoMouldy_Taco Registered, Moderator Posts: 133
    Alex4921 wrote:
    [*]Reduces Prop spam as currently you need prop spam to get a high core(Even Taco is doing it with a ton of props PA'd into a nice circle)
    It is true that I am doing this, but not to buff the core of anything that does any shooting or flying, it's for a stationary planetary bomb I'm working on, in addition to the 9001 other projects I have sitting in my e2/dupe folders.
    Kamekazi wrote:
    I have noticed that the pulse mkII cannons lag quite a bit as well. perhaps limit to 1 instead of 2, or a reduction of fire rate. Just a thought.
    It's not too bad, only if they are shooting halfway across the map to reach a target.
    "If this works, it'll keep us from getting' caught. If it doesn't, it'll keep us from gettin' old," -- MacGyver
  • MikhailMikhail Registered Posts: 24
    shooting halfway across the map to reach a target.
    Maybe add a limit to their firing range, maybe to offset their massive damage output they can be extremely short range.
    monkeyk.jpg
    Mikhail wrote:
    Maybe add a limit to their firing range, maybe to offset their massive damage output they can be extremely short range.
    Not realistic having weapons terminate after a distance in space.
    Lacking a force to counteract their forward momentum they will just fly on and on forever as per Newtons laws of motion(Every action must have an equal yet opposite reaction)
  • MikhailMikhail Registered Posts: 24
    Alex4921 wrote:
    Mikhail wrote:
    Not realistic having weapons terminate after a distance in space.
    Lacking a force to counteract their forward momentum they will just fly on and on forever as per Newtons laws of motion(Every action must have an equal yet opposite reaction)
    but pulse cannons shoot pure balls of energy, it would make sense for that energy to dissipate after a distance.
    monkeyk.jpg
    While high density rounds like metal rockets or bullets would exist continuously in a vacuum (and I don't mean that as a pun) anything less dense would be torn apart by the forces of their internal pressure. In the case of an energy weapon, there are several possibilities. Lasers would loose efficiency to photon scattering over distance, plasmas would instantly expand to nothing. However, in a magnetic or electrical field which could indeed be formed at the time the plasma is formed by its very nature as an ion heavy matter state said projectile could exist for some time before the field would dissipate enough or the current flow disrupted to a large enough degree to reduce it to nothing. In all cases energy and thus power is lost over time. In the case of energy rounds, they would just fizzle to nothing at the maximum of their range.

Applying reduction of efficiency at range to energy weapons might make ppl spam them less. Special weapons that don't dissipate might be considered "sniper's" weapons and have a low re-fire rate.
    Nielk1 wrote:
    While high density rounds like metal rockets or bullets would exist continuously in a vacuum (and I don't mean that as a pun) anything less dense would be torn apart by the forces of space. In the case of an energy weapon, there are several possibilities. Lasers would loose efficiency to photon scattering over distance, plasmas would instantly expand to nothing. However, in a magnetic or electrical field which could indeed be formed at the time the plasma is formed by its very nature as an ion heavy matter state said projectile could exist for some time before the field would dissipate enough or the current flow disrupted to a large enough degree to reduce it to nothing. In all cases energy and thus power is lost over time. In the case of energy rounds, they would just fizzle to nothing at the maximum of their range.

Applying reduction of efficiency at range to energy weapons might make ppl spam them less. Special weapons that don't dissipate might be considered "sniper's" weapons and have a low re-fire rate.
    I always thought that the Pulse cannons fired a High velocity Charged Slug as having any type of energy weapon that fired at slower than light speed seemed impossible to me(Except Plasma weapons i have to admit).
    The entity name for them is indeed "railgun".

Lambda217 wrote:
    The entity name for them is indeed "railgun".

A railgun can fire one of two things. It can fire a metal projectile, or a plasma projectile. The trick with the plasma is you create some load, normally paper like, that you use to start the plasma (stick a match in a microwave for a sample, but please, only an old microwave, and I am not responsible for anything that occurs) and then by the conductive nature of plasma, just like a metal projectile, it will complete the circuit and form the massive magnetic field that makes railguns work.

Railguns are interesting because they work by forming a magnetic field behind the projectile using the projectile itself as part of the conductor to for said field. As the power input increases, the field gets stronger and wants to grow, pushing the projectile outward and making the circuit bigger, thus allowing more energy in and for the field to try to grow again. This is very unlike Gauss guns which use a series of coils to accelerate a ferrous projectile.
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    Realism means very little in Spacebuild, seriously. If it comes down to it, we will break realism in favor of balance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file