Home Suggestions
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Zardians Humongous Post of improvements, whine and such

ZardianZardian Registered Posts: 88
edited March 2011 in Suggestions #1
Okay.

Seriously, guys, what on earth are you doing?
I mean no offence but im going to offend you anyway so whatever:
first:
What on earth is with the fuel system? as cool a system as it may be it creates a ton more neccessary LS entities which lag like hell.
Its often literally too laggy to build by any decent efficiency because of the huge blobs of LS auto fueler systems, and the "benefits" of the system, limitation to speed and.... derp, dont really seem worth it. On a sidenote for the system, LS refinery, dude, what-the-hell:
since when does Metal+Energy = Oxygen, im surprised lua didnt tell you to f off when you coded that bit in. sorry, but really.
one more thing: really could make it so that u dont NEED fuel to go at a decent pace, just an usefull bonus

second:
Coremod, weapons, balance issues:
atm the pride and joy of the server, the coremod and custom weapons, are in a rather ridiculous state, no offence dubby,
theyr cool stuff, but theres several big issues with them:

-the lovely everything solution, yes i must whine about it more: mjölnirs, the whole idea of big weapons is they work on big thins, not small ones, or we end up with this little thing that solves any pilots any problem with a few shots.
[Dubby] : They were nerfed once you brought it to my attention a few days ago. Their energy requirements tripled, damage reduced, and made largely ineffective against shield bubbles.

-dmg/hp ratio, seriously, the guns do quite a ton of damage and fightes between bloody capital ships last seconds, minutes tops.
[Dubby] : Core health was already tripled. You don't need to ask for it twice.

-the utter lack of lasers and blasters, well yeah okay theres some blasters but seriously, you guys must remember the days of tons of blasters shots flying from battleship to another, a bit laggy yes, but so is the fuel system, and it was far more awesome, please give us a blaster or two.

third:
Life support, morons, overusage of stuff:
so yeah, anyone and everyone whos been in the srv with other for a while has seen this, and MOST DONE IT THEMSELVES, BAD GUYS, BAD
im talking about the little side issues of mr.kickass weapon mentioned above, the total overloading of every ship with a ton of over-its-class stuff, example, a fuckign fighter with 2 medium fusions, comeon, use your brains.
this either needs ppl to take their brains and start using them, or the more annoying option, a contretic limit, possibly based on core stats or the like, tho it may lead into even worse overloading (invis props to overcharge core stats or the like)

fourth:
Provoke combat, not an issue, but could be done to make the srv more fun:
this has been an issue from the beginning of the goddamn gamemode, ppl afking and doing nothing really, combat could be provoked by:
-making the fuel system so you only get fuel from roids, no LS blobs, makes ppl go into space, and ban autominers >.<
-salvaging system im going to talk about below
-killboard? :D (just something to prevent handing out kills to others)

fifth:
salvaging system, awesomeness, fun, coolness, restarting the faction system:
okay so we could make improved core mods for faction members, different stuff for different factions, nothing insane but better modules and stuff.
accompanying above: a salvaging system, capability to loot LS resources and core mods from a dead ship: details below:
-make cores drop a "wreck" from which stuff can be salvaged
-make an inventory of sorts, some cheap normal modules unlimited but limited amount of powerfull faction mods or the like
-perhaps a "salvager" module for salvaging :) copying eve worked well on the coremod
-when salvaging a wreck you could get said items into a cargo bay entity of sorts from which u could for obvious reasons take them out when you want to so you wont get coremods pop into ur ship in combat
-maybe NPC rats into space, a bit hard yeah, but imagine the gameplay value, it would be so kewl and you know it

Thats that for now. i will post more whine as i come up with it, yes i mocked you please dont ban me thanks.
ps. Steev stop ignoring me, i want to whine to you personally ^^
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
the eternal pain in our beloved superadmins asses. Does stuff.

Comments

• ZardianZardian Registered Posts: 88
    addition to the list: peliminary test with weapon damages and cores lead to a conclusion:
    spartan torpedoes need an immediate absotule total nerfhammering, they killed an evildisc corp core with 1 (SINGLE) hit
    that was ~400k armor
    ONE TORPEDO, capital weps could be nerfed all a bit, spartans humongously
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • SomaSoma Registered, Administrator Posts: 2
    After reading through your post and thinking on it a bit, your right.
    (i love lists)(- = Problem) (* = Salution)
    -Too much LS
    *Perhaps it can be condensed(Fuel systems into one)
    -Spartans do too much dammage(but are needed and loved because they arent alot of missile weapon versions)
    *lolnerf.jpeg
    -Inventory etc
    *this has been discussed in the past
    *seems like a good idea
    *do-able
    -Killboard
    *seems too likely to cause abuse(my personal oppenion) unless it can be regulated and moderated
    -Salvager
    *mabey an addition to the mining laser(you can use it for both)

Well... that just about does it.
    Dont think that any of this will get done by me, im a modeler and apparantly my oppeion isnt as important as one would think being on the dev team. Perhaps bring it to Steeveeo's or fuhrballs attention as the server belongs to them. oh wait...
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    To start off, I'm not ignoring you, I'm either doing homework, in class, or sleeping. Whining to me directly won't help anything, as I'll probably just forget about it, and constant yammering at me would just make me ignore you anyway.

I do agree that the fuel system could be optimized, but it was way laggy before the system was implemented. I find it funny that any combination of fuel tanks on a ship pretty much ends up at the same amount of storage, so it seems as though it could be stored in the gyro itself. However, the PN-Tanks would still exist on non-gyro contraptions, so resource stations have a place to store it, should the revamp ever happen.

The LS Refinery was a carry-over from before Metal and Carbon were introduced (it used Ore). Frankly, it amuses me as well and will probably end up being removed, if not changed to make more sense (I don't really care about it, if someone on the Dev team wants to revamp it, fine).

Space Combat has always been unbalanced, even well before the McBuilds collapse, you should know this. Spartans, along with a few other weapons, need to be completely recreated to work with the current system without lagging, but that is Dubby's territory. I think we should wait on introducing new weapons until we sort out the imbalances. Noting how broken Spartan torpedoes are at current, we may disable them until they're rewritten.

As for the forcing of combat, Diaspora consists of build servers that just so happen to have a Space Combat system. Once we get some sort of Donation system up and running, and a sufficient number of donations, we can purchase a third server and deem it a pure Combat server.

Any sort of salvage mod (I've already had several ideas on this before) is far in the future. It's doable, but we need to solidify the workings of the stuff we have now before adding huge game-changers like that. Also, the Dev team has had talks about moving away from EvE style cores and going for Class-Based cores (fighter, frigate, station, whatever). I don't know when this will happen, but I want to make it happen. NPC ships in space would be nigh-impossible to do, considering how cramped spacebuild is currently, and the fact that none of the highly active Devs have any idea how to write an AI.

For ship over-classing, see any other thread or conversation about hooking this stuff into the coremod. Try here. We usually reprimand anyone invis-stacking, but if the problem becomes rampant, we will add a check to only check visible props.
  • AmaroqAmaroq Registered, Administrator Posts: 450
    Zardian wrote:
    On a sidenote for the system, LS refinery, dude, what-the-hell:
    since when does Metal+Energy = Oxygen, im surprised lua didnt tell you to f off when you coded that bit in. sorry, but really.

Metal + Energy = Oxygen actually does work. Ever wonder why Magnesium, a metal, is so flammable? It can't be all that OXYGEN in the stuff. No sir, totally implausible.

Anything else that needed to be said, Steeveeo has already addressed. Just wanted to point that out.
  • KatelynKatelyn Registered, Administrator Posts: 171
    Uhhm. Magnesium is an element sir. Burning it IN oxygen creates magnesium oxide. Mg2 + O2 -> 2MgO. The reason magnesium is so reactive is that the outer electron shell is nearly empty. Not looking at the table I believe it has one or two valence electrons. I think it is in the second column so two.
  • Lambda217Lambda217 Registered, Moderator Posts: 534
    My ideal version of the fuel system would be no drills or refineries, only mining lasers, crystals, and asteroids, which give PN Fuel when lasered (crystals give more than asteroids). It would make people go into space, and cut down on lag from massive fuel producers.

"I want you to show this world what it means to fear the sky."
    Amaroq wrote:
    Ever wonder why Magnesium, a metal, is so flammable? It can't be all that OXYGEN in the stuff. No sir, totally implausible.

[citation needed]

Seriously though, what?
    ...Like I said in Chat, I am going to murder my Chem teacher, who apparently enjoys trolling his students, or is a complete moron. I would enjoy that sledgehammer.
    yes and my magical molecular realigner makes everything out of anything, comeon, its ridiculous and you know it.
    as for you steev, it allready is a problem, people mount frigate level gear into fighters and so on and checking for invis is no real solution.
    there needs to be a (flexible) but nevertheless concretic limit to what one can put on what or there will allwyas be another fancy exploit to avoid your quick fixes.
    Lambda217 wrote:
    My ideal version of the fuel system would be no drills or refineries, only mining lasers, crystals, and asteroids, which give PN Fuel when lasered (crystals give more than asteroids). It would make people go into space, and cut down on lag from massive fuel producers.

That doesn't make much sense. Rocks don't just have magical fuel in them. It needs to be refined somehow.

Also, if ALL you want is fuel, you would only need like, maybe 6 ents? People just blow it out of proportion, like EVERYTHING else.
  • KatelynKatelyn Registered, Administrator Posts: 171
    Titanium oxide litters the surface of the moon. By refining it you can extract the oxygen from it.
    Zardian wrote:
    yes and my magical molecular realigner makes everything out of anything, comeon, its ridiculous and you know it.
    as for you steev, it allready is a problem, people mount frigate level gear into fighters and so on and checking for invis is no real solution.
    there needs to be a (flexible) but nevertheless concretic limit to what one can put on what or there will allwyas be another fancy exploit to avoid your quick fixes.
    Go read that thread I linked, really. This would not be a "quick fix".
    no magic oxygen supplies, please
    edit: allso, the best solution would be to tie everything to the core system, in other words, add LS and weapon slots :)

edit2: i guess the other thread is kinda uselss so ill continue it here, if youre feeling like a moderator kitten o and remove it:
    just remembered this, while technically not a bug, the cores have insane PG, coding brainfart extra 0 possibly?
    Zardian. You're playing a game in which you can use a toolgun that can have an near-infinite amount of physics-manipulating devices built into it, as well as a gun that can lift ANYTHING, regardless of mass.

This is not a realistic game. It's a fun one. Stop tripping over trivial crap like that. We're working on fixing stuff pretty appropriately, but could you keep the constant sarcasm to a minimum? I assure you, it goes almost completely unappreciated.
    Zardian wrote:
    no magic oxygen supplies, please
    edit: allso, the best solution would be to tie everything to the core system, in other words, add LS and weapon slots :)

edit2: i guess the other thread is kinda uselss so ill continue it here, if youre feeling like a moderator kitten o and remove it:
    just remembered this, while technically not a bug, the cores have insane PG, coding brainfart extra 0 possibly?
    I'm not sure why it is such, but I have noticed the huge PG as well. Will notify Dubby.

Also, I have already discussed the whole Component slot thing in that thread I linked, go there and read.
    hmm, read once deciding i cannot avoid your unrelenting attempts to push me into that textwall, but yeah, i think the idea of one slot for weapons and LS is a good one.
    sure there may be some rage regarding uncored stuff but i think most ppl would accept cores being a requirement.
    as for atleast stations, you could allow slow / stationary things to have over their size LS storages, regarding colony ships, well, if balanced well enough the same trick might work, ill give it some thought :/

sorry fuhr but sarcasm is the only type of humor i find worth my time.
    (i do not mean that sarcasticly, i just really find the traditional humor somewhat bland, each with their own)

edit: addition to the list, sbep guns like sword gatling dont require energy, pass sg sheilds and do conciderable core damage, nerf please
  • JollyRodgerJollyRodger Registered Posts: 33
    Have the accuracy of a thrown baseball at any mentionalable range and only do considerable damge to a target if you put it infornt of a prop and begin blistering that prop at point blank range lol.
    Have the accuracy of a thrown baseball at any mentionalable range and only do considerable damge to a target if you put it infornt of a prop and begin blistering that prop at point blank range lol.
    That sentence lacks a subject, please clarify.
    gcombat minigun...no accuracy beyond 50 squares shotgun spread, impossible to do significant damage with if target cannont be held for an extended period of time...number of deaths before a whine and nurf thread created...3. result- nurf
    Mojo balls current post nurf 75k power to fire..deflected by even the most efficent shields..whines regarding losses poured in..weapon nurfed to oblivion nearly.
    Spartan torpedos..nurfed to damage that causes their 15million pricetag per shot to be pointless..if not for the spartan bug would be an inneffective killer.

core size increased by 300 percent.
    longer battles..people still desire faster kills..stacking effects more entitys per ship and more ships using capital sized weapons.
    and on and on and on and on..
    its an endless cycle.
    perhaps test systems with people who use them daily instead of focusing on people who die to them daily..I can name 3 weapons that need a very serious nurf that people dont even consider using on their ships.
    my whine has been filed.
    I can name 3 weapons that need a very serious nurf that people dont even consider using on their ships.
    So list them.
    would prefer to do in a test to demonstrate rather than just throwing names out and not having demonstrable values.
    would be willing to setup examples today (sunday) if your interested in a real time test.
  • JoeyJoey Registered Posts: 49
    Gonna add to this thread:

Autocannons drain WAY too much energy, I ran out of 2 medium energy storages (which is normal for a small fighter) in around 7-10 seconds. I'd say make it drain less energy and more metal.
  • TikiWikiTikiWiki Registered Posts: 5
    Joey wrote:
    Autocannons drain WAY too much energy, I ran out of 2 medium energy storages (which is normal for a small fighter) in around 7-10 seconds. I'd say make it drain less energy and more metal.

I second this notion. This is one of the only reasons that i would rig my fighter with a medium fusion core. That and the now impossible to manage with fast ships energy cost for the gyropods.
  • NormallyClosedSwitchNormallyClosedSwitch Registered Posts: 137
    LET'S BURN HIM!!
    "...wait, this IS rocket science!!!"
    are you referring to me or who exactly? ;)
    allso ill look into this, as i have now been made a DEV ^-^
    feel free to post any little issues (even tiny balance related stuff like blasters being slightly a bit op) here or directly to me in steam until my nerves pop, thank you.
    TikiWiki wrote:
    I second this notion. This is one of the only reasons that i would rig my fighter with a medium fusion core. That and the now impossible to manage with fast ships energy cost for the gyropods.

Dude. Fuel. It's not exactly difficult to get. XDD

However, on the current topic, less energy for the autocannons sounds like a good idea.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file