Home General
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Why is it hated so?

ludsoeludsoe Registered Posts: 4
edited July 2013 in General #1
Registered a account to ask one thing. Why do you guys hate Environments?

Comments

• KanzukeKanzuke Registered, Moderator Posts: 181
    Well, my personal gripe was with the method for creating artificial atmospheres, it could only be done inside props, so if you made your ship out of boring small/med/modbridge corridors you were fine, but the creative builders who built from vanilla props for example couldn't get an artificial climate.
    I also disliked how it replaced everyone's player model with a space suit, and how that space suit model was incredibly glitchy. See below:

C36FF6EDC1F544EED8F8BE5048423C7BA1F3D009

86A0C258344EEE2D4AE2812963F4FE69105AAEDF
    This one may not be entirely related, but this only happened while environments was on. So I'm going to blame it

Click for full image

Lambda217: oh oh i am kanzuke and i love my little pony and now i'll make all the brandonphysics myself cause i know fuckin everything because now i'll make a big pony fighter drone squad and a big fuckin portal ship and i am a fuckin idiot
  • ludsoeludsoe Registered Posts: 4
    The suits can be disabled. Also i can talk with the developer about some sort of ranged suit filling device. If those are the only problems things can be fixed.
  • LtBrandonLtBrandon Registered, Administrator Posts: 507
    ludsoe wrote:
    The suits can be disabled. Also i can talk with the developer about some sort of ranged suit filling device. If those are the only problems things can be fixed.
    There were numerous problems that occurred almost at random while environments was installed, unless its changed a great deal most of the issues will probably still happen. Switching from spacebuild 3 to environments is a rather large task on our server, as a lot of our content relies heavily on things that are rather different in environments, such as environment variables and entity names. Personally I found its client-side interfaces rather intrusive and annoying while it was installed, and, from memory, while it was active our player count lowered for a while. Honestly the only good thing I remember about our environments test run was Cmdr Matthew turning into Satan because of a bug in the suits.

Rather than ask us only why we dislike it, you should probably have pointed out reasons it is better than normal sb3 in any way.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Lλmbdλ: donations for coding the space future of diaspora :>

Get your extra long EVE trial here!
  • ludsoeludsoe Registered Posts: 4
    Well after thinking, and running my own server with environments installed. (Not having problems with it at all) I think the problems were on your side. Not to mention that the client side huds, are interchangeable.
  • NinjrKillrNinjrKillr Registered Posts: 175
    ludsoe wrote:
    Well after thinking, and running my own server with environments installed. (Not having problems with it at all) I think the problems were on your side. Not to mention that the client side huds, are interchangeable.

Well, yeah. Brandon just said that ;). A lot of our custom content (of which we have a lot) is tightly intertwined with SpaceBuild itself, and so to switch to Environments we would need to go through a fuckload of files and rewrite a lot. Besides that, though - I approve of Brandon's request to have you list out what you see as the potential benefits to us actually switching over.

"We fear that which we cannot see... we respect that which we cannot see... thus the blade will be wielded."

Urahara_Bleach_Signature_by_Harty73.png
  • LtBrandonLtBrandon Registered, Administrator Posts: 507
    NinjrKillr wrote:
    ludsoe wrote:

Well, yeah. Brandon just said that ;). A lot of our custom content (of which we have a lot) is tightly intertwined with SpaceBuild itself, and so to switch to Environments we would need to go through a fuckload of files and rewrite a lot. Besides that, though - I approve of Brandon's request to have you list out what you see as the potential benefits to us actually switching over.
    Why are we necroing this poor thread? It was resting in pieces until a bit ago D;
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Lλmbdλ: donations for coding the space future of diaspora :>

Get your extra long EVE trial here!
  • NinjrKillrNinjrKillr Registered Posts: 175
    LtBrandon wrote:
    Why are we necroing this poor thread? It was resting in pieces until a bit ago D;

Because he came back and saw responses? I'unno. Didn't realise it was a necro, I only responded because it had new posts.

"We fear that which we cannot see... we respect that which we cannot see... thus the blade will be wielded."

Urahara_Bleach_Signature_by_Harty73.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file