Home Suggestions
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

My Thought on Admin Entities Not Being Removed

TangentDeltaTangentDelta Registered Posts: 54
edited June 2013 in Suggestions #1
The other night I came on the server to work on my ship, and found the server to be in quite a state of distress. The only other person on was Xenophobe, who was on the ice planet building something. I spawned down a ship, and flew into space, and found a huge cloud of bomber E2 drones spawned by Puff an hour earlier, causing quite a bit of entity traffic as they smashed into asteroids and stuff.

That same night, Coupez came on and was working on his somewhat large ship. When he left for whatever reason, he didn't remove his ship, and this caused quite a bit of FPS lag, and entity traffic as more people came on.

This morning, I came on and found that Kanzuke had left quite a bit of stuff around, including his "bunker protection" E2 that kills anyone but admins that go into the bunker on Gonniverse. It wasn't causing any unnecessary traffic, but the idea of someone claiming a piece of the spawn planet (which is already against the rules from what I've read) for themselves and just leaving their "protection" there really bothers me.

I'm not targeting anyone in particular, but I would like to see the admins take better care of their garbage that they leave behind. It's not normally much of a problem, but with server 2 down and the increased amount of players, when an admin leaves their massive ship behind, the lag is quite noticeable.

This is probably not the first time this problem has been brought up, but I would like to suggest a few possible solutions:
Admins should be more careful about leaving stuff behind.
Remove admin entities from the cleaning blacklist.
Allow players to vote for offline admin entities to be removed.

I know you admins like being the "gods" of the server, but please, don't ruin the playing experience for other players.

Comments

• KanzukeKanzuke Registered, Moderator Posts: 181
    I'm pretty sure Brandon had always wanted Admin Cleanups to be re-enabled, and I think they should. It's quite annoying to crash, and then have to restart the game just to make sure the stuff you left gets removed.

Lambda217: oh oh i am kanzuke and i love my little pony and now i'll make all the brandonphysics myself cause i know fuckin everything because now i'll make a big pony fighter drone squad and a big fuckin portal ship and i am a fuckin idiot
  • DataSchmuckDataSchmuck Registered, Moderator Posts: 147
    Why was it turned off in the first place? Admin stuff should be removed same as anyone else after a certain time.
  • xX Lord Anubis XxxX Lord Anubis Xx Registered Posts: 170
    Maybe make the admin cleanups happen a little later? like an extra 30 minutes or an hour. That way it still gets removed, but if they are having computer problems (Which is really the only time I leave the server without cleaning up) they have some time to get that fixed before they get back in. I have lost valuable creations in this fashion many times when I was a regular player. It's quite annoying.
    Every Human Being has some capacity for evil. It's just that some Humans have a greater capacity for evil than others.
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    If I were to go back to playing again, I would say that I would not mind having admin cleanup reenabled. However, I have a reason for keeping it off as well, as I myself like to set up utilities for the server from time to time, like my Spawnpoint Gear Board. Needing an admin to keep the utilities alive is a bit irritating, as they could be beneficial to the server, but if the admin wants to leave, then the stuff would clear. Perhaps turning admin-clean on, but making a tool that tags contraptions as exempt from the cleanup?

And Kanzuke, as I tell anyone else who does this: active area denial systems on the spawn, especially ones that kill intruders, are highly frowned upon. If you want absolute privacy as an admin, just godmode and go to space.
  • LtBrandonLtBrandon Registered, Administrator Posts: 507
    I had turned it on, but apparently it got turned off again. I'll re-enable it and take up steeveeo's suggestion for an auto clean exclusion tool.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Lλmbdλ: donations for coding the space future of diaspora :>

Get your extra long EVE trial here!
  • xX Lord Anubis XxxX Lord Anubis Xx Registered Posts: 170
    LtBrandon wrote:
    I had turned it on, but apparently it got turned off again. I'll re-enable it....
    What's the timer for cleanup just for future reference?
    Every Human Being has some capacity for evil. It's just that some Humans have a greater capacity for evil than others.
  • LtBrandonLtBrandon Registered, Administrator Posts: 507
    LtBrandon wrote:
    I had turned it on, but apparently it got turned off again. I'll re-enable it....
    What's the timer for cleanup just for future reference?
    Five minutes.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Lλmbdλ: donations for coding the space future of diaspora :>

Get your extra long EVE trial here!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file