Home Suggestions
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Salvaging

Lambda217Lambda217 Registered, Moderator Posts: 534
edited July 2012 in Suggestions #1
Massacring defenceless asteroids with lasers in return for a bounty prize of space minerals from the Space Government is all fun and good if you happen to like being shot and pocket calculators, but there's more career opportunities than mining in the vast vastness of sb_gooniverse. Space combat, despite the tender tears of Fuhrball, is the name of the game in Diaspora space, with a countless stream of Extremely Creative and Unique ships being designed, built, filled with other people's E2s from the forums, and sent out into space to be blown to smitherroons in the eternal conflict to discover who can hit the Source entity limit as many times as possible before GMod 13 raises it.

But just what happens to the unlucky ships lost to the endless barrages of whatever the heck Pulse Cannons actually shoot? Sometimes you'll see the inexplicably whole but dead husk of the victim ship flying out of the core explosion, but sadly the remains quickly vanish into non-existence with a quiet farting sound in about ten seconds. I theorize that the detonating core causes the ships to return to Hell, but there's uses even for dead ships considering the 'effort' that goes into them!

In the EVE Onlines, the second motto of Salvagers, after "Ha ha look at those mining dickheads get owned", is "Business is war, and business is good". My proposal is simple: firstly, make wrecks of ships remain for a long while after the core is nuked, though only a few of the biggest props, as one of the best parts of blowing up other ships is watching the server breathe a sigh of relief. Second, make a recoloured mining laser that can fire beams of concentrated Gameplay Convenience at the wrecks and withdraw some finger-lickin' good minerals and possibly technology! It'll be a perfect career for the Diaspora to come, and be more interesting than mining until asteroids learn to hurl themselves at you in a grand sacrifice to defend the herd!

"I want you to show this world what it means to fear the sky."

Comments

• AmaroqAmaroq Registered, Administrator Posts: 450
    This is actually a pretty good idea. It wouldn't be too difficult to implement either. I've already thought up a way to make it work, and have it function with the current mining lasers (I'm too lazy to make a new ent, plus having 10 mining lasers on a ship is a bit excessive).
  • DataSchmuckDataSchmuck Registered, Moderator Posts: 147
    Please, stop this now, you are making it really hard to stay away.

My main source of income in Eve is salvaging.

Yaaaay, we'll have Data back! I'm gonna get to work on this right away, then.
  • Mouldy_TacoMouldy_Taco Registered, Moderator Posts: 133
    There will have to be a way prevent people from just spawning big props and mining them by themselves. I'm sure you've already considered this.
    "If this works, it'll keep us from getting' caught. If it doesn't, it'll keep us from gettin' old," -- MacGyver
    There will have to be a way prevent people from just spawning big props and mining them by themselves. I'm sure you've already considered this.

Of course! It'll just be it's own entity that will spawn when a ship is destroyed, and have that particular model. Easy fix.
  • Mouldy_TacoMouldy_Taco Registered, Moderator Posts: 133
    Sounds good, perhaps freeze the entities shortly after the explosion, say 10 seconds, and then delete them after 10-15 minutes (plenty of time to organize a salvage operation).

Also, @brandon... implement this into your whole thingymabobber factiony doodads so we can potentially use salvage material for something tangible.
    "If this works, it'll keep us from getting' caught. If it doesn't, it'll keep us from gettin' old," -- MacGyver
  • Lambda217Lambda217 Registered, Moderator Posts: 534

Brandon! Ragetank! We're gonna need a rip of the Noctis model and a entity of it, stat!

And remember the spinny bit!

"I want you to show this world what it means to fear the sky."
  • LtBrandonLtBrandon Registered, Administrator Posts: 507
    Sounds good, perhaps freeze the entities shortly after the explosion, say 10 seconds, and then delete them after 10-15 minutes (plenty of time to organize a salvage operation).

Also, @brandon... implement this into your whole thingymabobber factiony doodads so we can potentially use salvage material for something tangible.
    I was going to do salvaging with or without a suggestion, so yes that part will be happening.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Lλmbdλ: donations for coding the space future of diaspora :>

Get your extra long EVE trial here!
  • xX Lord Anubis XxxX Lord Anubis Xx Registered Posts: 170
    EDIT: whoopsies, necro

Ok FIRST OFF: I just want to make it very clear that if we make this server like Spaceage is will destroy it. Im not saying i dont like the idea, i think it would be very nice, but just dont go around making that crap they have there.

Now for me to "pitch in". How about we make a long running system (meaning you lazy ass devs can sit on your ass all day doing whatever the hell you do when you aren't coding lua, while paying little attention to the development to this) that allows for the little bits and pieces of technology recovered from Salvaging to be chunked together in a machine that makes a random piece of tehcnology (lets also say there are different bits of tech too, like weapons tech, shield tech, defense tech, ls tech etc) that would have small improvements over the standard tech that you can just spamspamspam all over your ship of gigantic failure. But this wouldn't be of much use if some jackass crashed the server every five minutes and you lost all your cool tech. So I propose a sort of inventory system (Interface would be just a simple derma, nothing fancehy) that would save any of these tech thingies (WAIT WAT, THINGIES IS A FUCKING WORD?!?!?!!) that you shoot with a Toolgun. I say the toolgun method because i know none of you developers want to create a tracking script that keeps track of every little thingy you have spawned. Then once you save your shit and some dipshit crashes the server, your cool tech will still be in your inventory, and you will be able to spawn it and put it on your ship made of moons and combine citadels. But you can only spawn one item in your inv once at a time, meaning once you spawn said tech it will be gone from your inventory until you add it back. And you could also add some rare "Multipliers" in the creation sequence that greatly improve your chances of getting a really nice tech thingy. And it would also be realistic that if any of this tech were on an enemy ship when you destroyed it would survive, at least partially, and you would be able to salvage it.

I bet this sounds all really familliar and that's because it is. It's like a mix of TF2 items and Eve online stuff. And a sidenote to the crafting, you wouldn't be able to just throw 5 or 6 tech into a pool and make a super rare ultra pwn weapon of overpowering irresistableness, you would need around 50-60 tech bits to get anything really substantial. Anyway if you don't like TF2 items then that's too bad, the item system really isn't all that bad and I have to say I like it. It's just the F2P retards that destroy any fun in it.

I really hope at least 3 devs take this into consideration, because if you do go though with it you may have to be creating hundreds of ents, and it would take a very long time. Im not saying I would expect this done within a few weeks becuase that is impossible, maybe over the course of half a year this could be completed, I don't really care either way. I would just like to see something like this later on.

Anyway i hope y'all actually think about this idea and not just dismiss it because "NUBIS THOUGHT OF IT NUNUNUN WE CANT TRUST HIM BANBANBAN LUUUUUUUUUULZ". bai
    Every Human Being has some capacity for evil. It's just that some Humans have a greater capacity for evil than others.
  • NinjrKillrNinjrKillr Registered Posts: 175
    Ok FIRST OFF: I just want to make it very clear that if we make this server like Spaceage is will destroy it. Im not saying i dont like the idea, i think it would be very nice, but just dont go around making that crap they have there.
    Sure, if we directly copied Spaceage it would destroy the GMod side of the community - but I'm fairly certain there's no intent to DIRECTLY copy ANY of their stuff, at most we're taking a couple of ideas on how to do things.
    Now for me to "pitch in". How about we make a long running system (meaning you lazy ass devs can sit on your ass all day doing whatever the hell you do when you aren't coding lua, while paying little attention to the development to this) that allows for the little bits and pieces of technology recovered from Salvaging to be chunked together in a machine that makes a random piece of tehcnology (lets also say there are different bits of tech too, like weapons tech, shield tech, defense tech, ls tech etc) that would have small improvements over the standard tech that you can just spamspamspam all over your ship of gigantic failure. But this wouldn't be of much use if some jackass crashed the server every five minutes and you lost all your cool tech. So I propose a sort of inventory system (Interface would be just a simple derma, nothing fancehy) that would save any of these tech thingies (WAIT WAT, THINGIES IS A FUCKING WORD?!?!?!!) that you shoot with a Toolgun. I say the toolgun method because i know none of you developers want to create a tracking script that keeps track of every little thingy you have spawned. Then once you save your shit and some dipshit crashes the server, your cool tech will still be in your inventory, and you will be able to spawn it and put it on your ship made of moons and combine citadels. But you can only spawn one item in your inv once at a time, meaning once you spawn said tech it will be gone from your inventory until you add it back. And you could also add some rare "Multipliers" in the creation sequence that greatly improve your chances of getting a really nice tech thingy. And it would also be realistic that if any of this tech were on an enemy ship when you destroyed it would survive, at least partially, and you would be able to salvage it.
    So, let's avoid the jackass causing you to lose all your cool tech by crashing the server - unless it's spawned.......... Yeah, sure - that totally makes sense o.o Anyways - the problem with coding said system is the complexity. We would have to code each individual piece that can be combined, then the combination system - which of course has to have interactions between each of the pieces coded.

I mean, just skimming the top of the idea it looks really, really, rather hard.
    I bet this sounds all really familliar and that's because it is. It's like a mix of TF2 items and Eve online stuff. And a sidenote to the crafting, you wouldn't be able to just throw 5 or 6 tech into a pool and make a super rare ultra pwn weapon of overpowering irresistableness, you would need around 50-60 tech bits to get anything really substantial. Anyway if you don't like TF2 items then that's too bad, the item system really isn't all that bad and I have to say I like it. It's just the F2P retards that destroy any fun in it.
    Of course super rare ultra pwn weapon of overpowering irresistableness would cost a shittonne in said system. But, wait, what? The people who want to play a decent game and not have to fork out money constantly to get the newest orgasm firing gun are RETARDS? The only retards in the aforementioned situation are the stupid assed fuckwit developers (ala Valve) that allowed people to purchase weapons! I will therefore correct your statement to "It's just the Pay2Win retards that destroy any fun in it"
    I really hope at least 3 devs take this into consideration,
    IIRC, that's all we have, really. I'm fairly sure the rest on the MOTD aren't active in the slightest.
    because if you do go though with it you may have to be creating hundreds of ents, and it would take a very long time. Im not saying I would expect this done within a few weeks becuase that is impossible, maybe over the course of half a year this could be completed, I don't really care either way. I would just like to see something like this later on.
    If we create something like what you've said, it could potentially take FAR longer than doing everything normally... Just sayin', as before, coding a fully dynamic salvaging / weapon / technology system is far harder than coding a bunch of different weapons and pieces of technology.
    Anyway i hope y'all actually think about this idea and not just dismiss it because "NUBIS THOUGHT OF IT NUNUNUN WE CANT TRUST HIM BANBANBAN LUUUUUUUUUULZ". bai
    OMG OMG OMG BAN HHHHEEEEEEEMMMMMM. I'm not dismissing your idea with this post, by the way - I'm just pointing various things out.

"We fear that which we cannot see... we respect that which we cannot see... thus the blade will be wielded."

Urahara_Bleach_Signature_by_Harty73.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file