Home Suggestions
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Boycott the prop limit and environment changes

KatelynKatelyn Registered, Administrator Posts: 171
edited April 2011 in Suggestions #1
Environment sucks, and 80 is too low of a prop limit. Change them both back.

Comments

• renchamprenchamp Registered Posts: 1
    I agree, this sucks!
  • Alex4921Alex4921 Registered Posts: 139
    Personally I don't mind enviroments but as for the prop limit,it is fairly low and sure,props can lag but kate just PROVED that all you need to lag is 1 prop,she just managed to hit server to about 1.5sv with a single PHX plate so prop limit means very little
    The quieter you are,the more you are able to hear.
  • The1The1 Registered Posts: 4
    edited April 2011 #4
    IMO. Prop limit is ok maby a bit low... as for the atmospheres... ok YES there buggy... but less laggy... what should be done is.. if swapping back to Faggy McLag LS3 only temporarily till the other1s' bugs are all fixed...

all im really saying is...
    the prop limit is too low for anyone to do what they really want...
    but eventually when LS has been worked out and is working again... the better non laggy LS3...
    prop limit should probably go back up again
  • AmaroqAmaroq Registered, Administrator Posts: 450
    I might change Environments back. And the prop limit will change when the other Devs actually bother to work with me to fix the weapons, and stop spam.

As of right now, I can't give people the benefit of the doubt with props. They build huge, laggy things all the time, regardless of what I tell them, or try to help them with.

And another thing, specifically towards Alex: Just because something can cause an event, doesn't mean that other things can't cause it as well. I could lag up a server with an E2, easily. But that doesn't mean that lots of props can't ALSO cause it.
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    Fuhrball, if you're going to make game-changing modifications like this, you NEED to run it by the rest of us on the Dev team. Changing the prop count will do very little to help reduce lag, despite what you may think. The only thing that causes server strain from props is the physics collisions, which with parenting is lowered to almost nil. All props really are in essence are solid chunks of mass that fall when awake.

What DOES lag are the tons of weapons, LS, E2 scripts, and so forth that go INTO the props. I've seen just as much server strain caused by a fighter as a capital ship. Also, I do believe that the Gyropod could use some updates to how it runs the physics, because as I recall, it needlessly applies force to child objects, which wouldn't do much of anything to the parent's orientation and momentum.

An 80 prop limit is too damned low for anything, really. If you want to reduce lag, figure out how to limit the weapons and LS on a ship. I realize that it is a huge task, but we're actually all in on that, instead of whatever this was.

I'm going to change it back to 150 for now, if you'd actually like to DISCUSS it with the Dev team, you can do so and tell us of its merits.

EDIT: Something I find hilarious; even though the change was unwarranted, you once again neglected to do it on the Dev server, changing the main server directly.

In regards to Environments, I have not been in to see what it actually was, so I have no opinion on it.
    I had to do something at the time. People were spamming the hell out of everything, ents and not. The server was dying and crashing every 20 minutes. The moment I changed the prop limit back, however, was the moment it managed to actually stay alive.

And I WANT to limit them. But I can't DO them by myself. I don't KNOW how the damn core system works, and Dubby is either wanking off by her lonesome to help out, or doesn't care to, you're (Steeveeo) busy with schooling, and I don't know what's going on with everyone else.

Putting the prop limit on the dev server doesn't do much. Virtually (key word) none of the regulars go there, and I would never get an opinion or proper statistics out of anyone who does. Unless you're talking about the Environments, which I doubt, in which case, I spent at least 4 hours testing everything and making fixes on there for that time.
  • Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    I am nothing but appauled at everyone who voted for it to be changed back. The prop limit was changed because the server was unstable and Environments was added for the same reason. Guess what, the server is more stable. Before, on average, it crashed every 15 min. Now it has uptimes of over an hour. This is not about a police change, this is about fixing an issue. It might be changed back on its own as issues are solved. But I take it none of you know what a crutch is do you? At the very least the prop limit change is TEMPORARY.

IT WAS JUST CHANGED. How about you all climb out of your own asses and learn a little patience. If something is broken, it has to be fixed. To go back to the way it was would be WORSE than to attempt to fix it, but you all just want it perfect NOW. Well, you can't have it exactly how you want it when you want it. Not only is it in the end the decision of the staff how it turns out but there are limits in the laws of physics to contend with.

Or you can just continue to bitch both here and in game and I will view you narrowminded twits with ire.

Now if Fuhr didn't consult with the co-owner Steeveeo, that is a problem, but Steeveeo also doesn't know anything about the current massive issues the server is having and knowing this would ahve probably agreeded to testing certain changes. These would have however likely been deployed when in optimal final condition.

Personally, I don't like Environments. Did you get that, I DON'T LIKE IT. But I find this entire topic and the yelling in game appauling. Aside from the obvious issue that the co-owners didn't coordinate, this is just a bunch people bitching because it's broken. Guess what, it would STILL BE BROKEN if nothing was done, even more so. I don't give a shit who doesn't beleive me, I have server statistics to look at.

Now, the prop limit change WAS EFFECTIVE in making the server last for an hour+ rather than 15 min. Those who deny that are lying to themselves. The question is WHY. Did it make those who make garbage laggy contraptions leave, did it make people have to make new ships and thus not reach crtitical mass in a single dupe paste, or is something REALLY directly related?

The flat end all of it is there IS a problem, and it NEEDS to be fixed. And everyone needs to be supportive of the staff as they try to fix the issue and not try to shove a shoe-horn up collective asses just because they tried a few things to fix that problem that weren't liked.
  • KillerKiller Registered Posts: 69
    Nielk1 wrote:
    learn a little patience.
    What is patience? Now in another less trolling note okay yes everyone bitches and yes the statistics aren't lying when we can see the server is on longer but the fact is when in the past 10 years of your life have you seen people not bitch about [Insert topic here]? I mean really people bitch no matter what and you should take that into consideration but the fact is that due to the fact that either server is down or they don't want to play on it due to said issue they now have the option to bitch instead of be playing spacebuild/enviroments. Water falls, Fire burns, the world spins round and round.
    800_ap_obama_government_shutdown_110407.jpg?2 so as Fuhrs face here explains: "Chill the fuck out it will get fixed Im not amused with your bitching."
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    As of this moment you and are have been declared TROLLS guess we better go found our bridge and beware those goats!
    As for the average uptime being 15 minutes I would love some PROOF of that as in my experience the uptime was FAR in excess of that easily hitting 1 hour,niel was just mad as he couldn't join for a week due to his shitty computer,he fucking DEMANDED everyone removed everything so he can join.
  • KatelynKatelyn Registered, Administrator Posts: 171
    As far as statistics go, the poll here does wonders for that. Three want it to stay as it is, 4 want the prop count adjusted back to 150, and 5 want the prop count back to 150 and environments gone. I don't vote in my own polls, so if you want put me in the latter.
  • ZardianZardian Registered Posts: 88
    The problem is that [troll me now.] you dont think about the servers or even your own best.
    you cant make yourself cast away the titans awesome mustwin and turn sb into a kill whoring fps multiplayer, while its supposed to be for fun.
    feel free to rage me, i couldnt care less, nothing else than a concretic limit seemed to work so there, you made it happen.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    the eternal pain in our beloved superadmins asses. Does stuff.
    Well, Environments isn't going away. Sorry guys, it's not. It performs better on the server, a LOT better, has a great deal more useful features that we can take advantage of. Most of the current bugs are being worked on by the addon maker.
    They are being worked on, great, when will they be fixed? Do you even know?
    Most of the bugs are currently trivial. The only one that seems to be an issue is the atmosphere ent-moving one, which is, like I said, being worked on. Hell, it may even be as simple as an addition of a property. Which I could do myself.

And no, I don't know. I have patience, however. It's pretty awesome, I recommend it.
    Alex4921 wrote:
    As for the average uptime being 15 minutes I would love some PROOF of that as in my experience the uptime was FAR in excess of that easily hitting 1 hour,niel was just mad as he couldn't join for a week due to his shitty computer,he fucking DEMANDED everyone removed everything so he can join.

Unequivocally incorrect. I demanded nothing more than for 'laggy bullshit to stop'. I didn;t say what it was, I didn;t say to remove everything, I just said that if the RCON graph has the damn server showing a red bar every few seconds, something is wrong. I have not been able to join well for the past 2 weeks. You have not heard anything from me up till now have you? It is ludacris to think that suddenly out of the blue I would be some sort of asshole.

In fact, When I was able to play this week, I found that everyone was treating ME like shit. Accusing me of straling their E2s, calling me a moron, calling into question every ounce of my experience. What gives you the right to attack me just because I have an incling of what is going on. RCON, RED BAR, BAD.

The server would go come up, I would try to join, I would timeout after 7 min (big woop, I can deal with that without any issue), I rejoin, I wait, the server goes down at about 15 min. The server is done for between 5 and 10 min. The server comes back. Everyone piles back on instantly. I join and it repeats. Server comes back, I *DONT* join and just sit in rcon and watch. Ther server runs for 15 min, and dies. The server stays offline for 20 min.

THAT IS A PROBLEM. I mean, Jesus Christ, half of you were there! Do you not even know how to read a f*cking clock? The server lasted for 90 degrees worth of long hand movement. Does that help or are degrees to f*cking complicated for you all if you cant get temporal locality.

Hell, other people were in rcon, did they even look at it? I had RCON open on my laptop, the game open on my left PC screen (playing windowed with noborder to allow stable loss of focus) amd steam chat on the right. I watched myself and others join and found the only issue with my connection was an unusual ammount of loss greater than 0.

HOWEVER, 50% of the time I did managed to join the server, I would buffer overflow before even exiting the spawn room. A spawn room that is occluded from all other content

You see, there is something you all need to know about me. Something critically important. I do not take bullshit. I don't care WHO it comes from or WHY. Not only do I not take it, but I give it back, first equally, and then at an exponential accumulation. If you don't want to deal with it, don't be a twit in the first place.

You all seriously make me wonder why I even BOTHER to try to play online. Truth be told I have not started a map in singleplayer in over a year aside from to test a lua. Anything I do manage to create I give to the server, to all of you. I sit in game and when I can I try to help people. What do I get in return? Acusations of theft, slander, attacks, and a ton of unintelligable garbage.

You want to know sometihng else shocking? I would prefer a prop limit of 200. TWO HUNDRED! I make f*cking orbital elevators for crying out loud (99% likely to be more lag free than yours)! Do I sit there and bitch when the prop limit is changed to a lower number? NO! I accept and understand it and I work within in.

AND IN ALL THE HILARITY. Look at the poll now. Now keeping it as it is is winning!? Who would have thunk that?
    Nielk1 wrote:
    Alex4921 wrote:
    <Text>
    Sorry,was a bit angry at that point.
    But yeah,you basically told us to remove everything larger than a fighter.
    Earlier today it WAS bad i agree,we did get a spate of fuckups with 15-20 min uptime but later on we got 5H+ in a single session,it just varies.
    When half the people on the forum want the limit back where it was then you still have a problem.

Edit: Also add the people that want just the prop limit to stay at 150 and it is over people that want it to stay.
    Alex4921 wrote:
    Nielk1 wrote:
    Alex4921 wrote:
    <Text>
    Sorry,was a bit angry at that point.
    But yeah,you basically told us to remove everything larger than a fighter.
    Earlier today it WAS bad i agree,we did get a spate of fuckups with 15-20 min uptime but later on we got 5H+ in a single session,it just varies.

I never, EVER, said that. I did however, when the server was freshly restarted from a crash (big surprise) ask that people WAIT to spawn their TITANS. And mostly got people int hat chat log saying others were spawning them when the server wide ENT count didn't even change. If people did start spawning their fail barges, I would buffer overflow as soon as I exited the spawn room. As would other players randomly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file