Home Tech Support
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Weapon Issues that need to be resolved

Mouldy_TacoMouldy_Taco Registered, Moderator Posts: 133
edited June 2011 in Tech Support #1
I've been getting occasional feedback from players about weapons, and figured I should share them with the rest of the team.
I'm sure that most of these have been posted several times before, but at least now they'll all be consolidated into one thread.

Laser Blasters: Extremely high energy cost to damage ratio, around 5% the damage for equal amounts of power as compared to some other weapons.

Plasma Blasters: It appears that with multiple rounds in the air, as soon as the first one hits a target, the rest explode prematurely.

EVERYTHING: Props don't seem to take damage unless you are aiming towards it's origin (Is this something we have control over?)

Spartan and Homing torpedoes: These two weapons seem to have been rendered more or less useless due to both nerfing their damage/ROF and the subsequent buff to core health.

I will try to ask more people if they are having any problems, so I might update this post occasionally.
"If this works, it'll keep us from getting' caught. If it doesn't, it'll keep us from gettin' old," -- MacGyver

Comments

• JoeyJoey Registered Posts: 49
    About the Spartans, they got a huge nerf (maybe nerfed too much) because they were almost instantly killing anything, I think i'm pretty sure no one tested them afterwards. But before jumping to conclusions it would be nice to test their current DPS first at a not upgraded shield of the core before doing a random buff.

A little issue which got reported by Lambda before but without a response:
    The vector input on Homing torpedos are still broken and they ignore the given vector.
  • Mouldy_TacoMouldy_Taco Registered, Moderator Posts: 133
    Just did a test on the spartans damage. They did 50k to an unmodded core. Attach the enormous energy cost and the obscenely long cooldown to fire it again, and it becomes a completely useless weapon.
    "If this works, it'll keep us from getting' caught. If it doesn't, it'll keep us from gettin' old," -- MacGyver
  • the forcethe force Registered Posts: 36
    Just did a test on the spartans damage. They did 50k to an unmodded core. Attach the enormous energy cost and the obscenely long cooldown to fire it again, and it becomes a completely useless weapon.
    true
  • ZardianZardian Registered Posts: 88
    oh fine, ill go look at them and if i can persuade fuhr to let me work with the real srv more easily i could propably completely revamp weapon damages n shit
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    the eternal pain in our beloved superadmins asses. Does stuff.
  • JoeyJoey Registered Posts: 49
    Thanks Zardian, there are tons of issues with weapons.
  • Lambda217Lambda217 Registered, Moderator Posts: 534
    Don't forget the missing plasma blaster explosion materials, and how all the weapons on the server change color if someone gives one a color input. :<

"I want you to show this world what it means to fear the sky."
  • NormallyClosedSwitchNormallyClosedSwitch Registered Posts: 137
    Don't forget the missing plasma blaster explosion materials, and how all the weapons on the server change color if someone gives one a color input. :<

Yea! And now they r PINK because of ROSE!
    "...wait, this IS rocket science!!!"
  • Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    For some reason the colors are globally saved.
  • DuneDDuneD Registered Posts: 31
    In my opinion everything is so unbalanced idk why dubby isnt ragging all over the place lol. . Back in mcb I remember data's ship being able to take mine down and the volume of both, well lets just say he likes to build small and I like to build big, I mean wth did u guys do to the cores so they got so unbalanced, just to put an example, yesterday I was fighting a guy with a frigate, pretty decent ship with a pretty decent size, the poor guy didnt last more than 3seconds, and before zardian comes and tells me you just stack a shitload of weapons on your ship, let me reply by telling why not either limiting the damage, or even better limitting the entities that are being create so we get less damage and less lag, or even limitting the amount of weapons you can create, and about the cores.... first limit the enhacers to 3, so ppl dont stack 10 tech III plattting, and for god sake either revert any changes you guys did to the cores, or find a way so small ships get more bonus than big ones with the enhacers, because right now the gap is just stupid, its ok for a big ship to take down a small one but right now its just ridicolous, the small one doesnt have any chance, and as I stated before I like to build big, so im not really defending my point here.
    And that is why I have stayed the fuck away from the cores.
  • AmaroqAmaroq Registered, Administrator Posts: 450
    Honestly? I think all of the devs are just lazy as hell.

Personally, it's a mixture of that, and me not really caring about the weapons. I don't use them, nor do I like ship combat.

I've been trying to get the devs who actually KNOW how this stuff works to start working, but.. No luck yet.
  • KamekaziKamekazi Registered Posts: 36
    So begins my quest to screw with lua until I figure out how it works.
  • Lambda217Lambda217 Registered, Moderator Posts: 534
    DuneD wrote:
    yesterday I was fighting a guy with a frigate, pretty decent ship with a pretty decent size, the poor guy didnt last more than 3seconds

Your cruiser is self-balanced really well IMO, I believe the problem is that the SG drones render the speed advantage of frigates useless because they have a insane amount of speed D:
    We really need to get the Ship Weapon Limits sorted out, I've seen Stump's fighter that hits the pulse cannon limit, and it's common to see new people covering their ship in about 3 of every type of homing weapon. No-one wants their much-loved ship to be destroyed, but preventing this by trying to make it instantly destroy everything is not the right solution.
    I've been learning Lua, got everything pretty much covered but the networking. I've been considering applying for Dev status, but I don't want to end up replacing every entity class with a Pulse Cannon or something. D:

"I want you to show this world what it means to fear the sky."
    If I was more attentive to development we would have shared server time AND web dupe management...

I really should work on something for school too, but I keep getting distracted by Minecraft.
  • DuneDDuneD Registered Posts: 31
    Yeah we always wanted to do that, having shared hours and dupes, but in order to do that you need a sql database and probably a third server just to handle the data.
    Really both are quite simple. I already set up the DEV server's time keeping to attempt basic RMI URL calls with a remote server. It is running in 'autistic mode' atm since I never set up the other side of the transaction.

The dupes, external management of them at least, is as easy as a php based FTP utilizing steam openID login. Sharing is a bit more anoying there, not sure how to do that. But if you can manage your dupes on both servers from a clean interface, it might not be a worry.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file