Home Development
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Mapping

Mr.Niceguy976Mr.Niceguy976 Registered Posts: 33
edited April 2011 in Development #1
If anyone were to, say, create a good Spacebuild map, would it be put on the server? Forlorn either needs an update or a new map :D
MrNiceguy9765.jpg
geo.php

Comments

• SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    As long as it runs, of course. :P
  • Mr.Niceguy976Mr.Niceguy976 Registered Posts: 33
    In that event, since I've lost all progress on my previous 2 spacebuild maps i've poured days of my life into-

What do you guys want in a Spacebuild 3 map to make it as likable or better than Forlorn? :D
    MrNiceguy9765.jpg
    geo.php
  • KillerKiller Registered Posts: 69
    Lag bunker (like forlorn XD) hidden bases asstriods with water and a sun that either kills you when you enter it OR when you enter it it teleports you to some random place :D
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    As of this moment you and are have been declared TROLLS guess we better go found our bridge and beware those goats!
  • the forcethe force Registered Posts: 36
    edited March 2011 #5
    i could see very bad things if it tele you *flys big ship into sun*

also if you make one make it so you can see space from the planets (like new worlds)
    that way people can see space battles from earth and i think it just looks better
    could just make it player tele (couldnt you?) but yeah I suppose your right
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    As of this moment you and are have been declared TROLLS guess we better go found our bridge and beware those goats!
  • the forcethe force Registered Posts: 36
    that idk but i have ran a jeep into a tele once and it ddint turn out so good.... but i like the killing you idea better
    I think the tele thing is a good idea! It'll teleport to a crazy ass room. For the sake of sanity, I want to reuse Kamekazi's models for planets, but reskinned so it's original. KTHX

Any more ideas? i like them :D
    MrNiceguy9765.jpg
    geo.php
    A silo (giant moving door's circular) you know for cinematicly launching a satellite and maybe for the random room you can paint the walls with an animation (prop shouldn't put pronz there but hay I never said anything) and uhh buttons? dunno maybe you can add afk rooms like in austria beta where it has a protective shield OH make it so all props and ents are deleted in the spawn room (if your doing it separate) that way if someone decides to minge there they cant (a just in case) uhhh what else what else.... well thats all I got for now give me a few hours to think up more XD
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    Killer wrote:
    OH make it so all props and ents are deleted in the spawn room (if your doing it separate) that way if someone decides to minge there they cant (a just in case)
    Bad idea to do that. Ragdolls in those spawn cullers crash the server.
  • NormallyClosedSwitchNormallyClosedSwitch Registered Posts: 137
    -enclosed area with water in it or very close, like, inside a node range AND grass if it's needed to drill ore.

-Dont try to make fancy stuff like a teleport of props.

Keep in mind your doing a map for gmod spacebuild, meaning, we can noclip outside building(lag bunker) so close it TOTALLY. You don't need planet with Tons of shit in it, keep it simple.

Beside that, don't forget to make ressources in those lag bunkers and design it so we can hook up a pump outside to our ship once ready, keeping every LS stuff inside the lag bunker

And, Lotsa lag bunker! I mean, we often see 10 player online, so, 10 lag bunker, hudge bunker. Or some hudge, some smaller...

LAG BUNKERS TOO!
    "...wait, this IS rocket science!!!"
  • AmaroqAmaroq Registered, Administrator Posts: 450
    -enclosed area with water in it or very close, like, inside a node range AND grass if it's needed to drill ore.

-Dont try to make fancy stuff like a teleport of props.

Keep in mind your doing a map for gmod spacebuild, meaning, we can noclip outside building(lag bunker) so close it TOTALLY. You don't need planet with Tons of shit in it, keep it simple.

Beside that, don't forget to make ressources in those lag bunkers and design it so we can hook up a pump outside to our ship once ready, keeping every LS stuff inside the lag bunker

And, Lotsa lag bunker! I mean, we often see 10 player online, so, 10 lag bunker, hudge bunker. Or some hudge, some smaller...

LAG BUNKERS TOO!

...Um. I have no idea what you're trying to say here, other than stuff about lag bunkers.

Only one would be needed, to be honest. They're for building stuff without having to render or receive packets from outside sources. Won't help much with LS.
    Steeveeo wrote:
    Killer wrote:
    OH make it so all props and ents are deleted in the spawn room (if your doing it separate) that way if someone decides to minge there they cant (a just in case)
    Bad idea to do that. Ragdolls in those spawn cullers crash the server.
    This I did not know. No new ideas, YET!
    For resources-

Forlorn's lag bunker shares air resources with the planet it's within, the spawn planet. :3

If the lag bunker is a cube, I could make it have its own atmosphere! Having a cube lag bunker would look wierd, wouldn't it? And it would have to be inside a huge object.

Would you guys mind if the lag bunker is inside the star and cube, or inside of a planet and more along the lines of the dimensions of Forlorn's lag bunker?

Map Idea!

I want to base the map off of a real star system. How about Gliese 581? It's pretty interesting- Wikipedia, TIME Article
    MrNiceguy9765.jpg
    geo.php
  • Paper ClipPaper Clip Registered, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 87
    A few suggestions as well :)

1. Use a cool looking space skybox, those maps look so cool!
    2. Like other people have said, try not to make too much fancy moving stuff or anything that will increase the entity count of the server. We already have such a huge problem with overflows when loading maps.
    3. The planets spheres on gm_galactic look great. I would recommend doing something similar to what he did.
    I've tried to do a custom skybox before, and it worked.

But it looked crappy b/c the stars that shined or were bigger than a freckle gave the skybox and the illusion of space away!

So if you (or anybody) could post a link to a large, large space image I could cut into a skybox, it COULD be in the map! :D
    MrNiceguy9765.jpg
    geo.php
  • AmaroqAmaroq Registered, Administrator Posts: 450
    Personally, I'd suggest a 2048 x 2048 texture size. Especially for Space. 1024 x 1024 would be okay as well, Gooniverse, Vacuum, and Twinsuns have that.

Interesting space skyboxes are a bitch, though. A star box is easy, but.. Nebula's and whatnot, all the sexy stuff.. Hard to blend.
    I'd say! Trying to find a nebula with a black backdrop is quite hard (this makes it easier to lower its alpha and blend it on top of a starry picture).

If you can find a picture of a nebula with black behind it as well as a nice large star picture, you'll be in the credits picture!
    MrNiceguy9765.jpg
    geo.php
    I am sorry to say, but I am currently unable to use my PC. So this has been put on halt for a couple weeks.

Plus I can't be on the server at all. But I will be on the forums occasionally!

I'm saying this so everybody knows im not dead again. :P
    MrNiceguy9765.jpg
    geo.php

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file