Home Suggestions
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Lua chip?

StarkkzStarkkz Registered Posts: 17
edited April 2014 in Suggestions #1
Has it already been suggested? I know that E2 is just fine, but Lua is faster than E2 and we could probably get to do more tasks in a second than with just E2 itself. I'm not asking to make a Lua chip from scratch, but probably the spacebuild servers could use something like Starfall or Moongate chips, just saying that it could be better to do more tasks without it being lagging the server to death.

Comments

• LtBrandonLtBrandon Registered, Administrator Posts: 507
    Starkkz wrote:
    Has it already been suggested? I know that E2 is just fine, but Lua is faster than E2 and we could probably get to do more tasks in a second than with just E2 itself. I'm not asking to make a Lua chip from scratch, but probably the spacebuild servers could use something like Starfall or Moongate chips, just saying that it could be better to do more tasks without it being lagging the server to death.
    They aren't compatible with our addons, not quite sure why. E2 works fine so I'm not going to go about maintaining a separate copy of the addons you've suggested.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Lλmbdλ: donations for coding the space future of diaspora :>

Get your extra long EVE trial here!
  • woothiewoothie Registered Posts: 44
    LtBrandon wrote:
    Starkkz wrote:
    They aren't compatible with our addons, not quite sure why. E2 works fine so I'm not going to go about maintaining a separate copy of the addons you've suggested.

What about LemonGate?
    http://www.wiremod.com/forum/wiremod-ad ... hread.html
    Divran wrote:
    Lemongate is better than E2.

E2 compiles down to a massive tree of function calls. Function calls are especially slow in Lua. Lemongate compiles into pure Lua.
    It also supports things like functions as variables (aka lambda functions) and events. When something happens in E2 (such as when a player writes something in chat), the entire code needs to be executed. In Lemongate, it just runs an event instead.
    Source: the thread I linked to...

This uh, might just turn right back to why Starfall doesn't work with our addons, but I'd love if we could give it a shot on Server 2 (since noone ever goes there anyways (apart from Razor)) or a test server.
    Oh, and also this: http://www.poweredbylemons.com

• SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    I would not be against trying Lemongate.
  • DataSchmuckDataSchmuck Registered, Moderator Posts: 147
    woothie wrote:
    but I'd love if we could give it a shot on Server 2 (since noone ever goes there anyways (apart from Razor))

i3K9g9X.jpg

Server 2 fills up almost daily.

What you meant to say, was no one important ever goes there. In which case, you are correct.
    woothie wrote:
    but I'd love if we could give it a shot on Server 2 (since noone ever goes there anyways (apart from Razor))

i3K9g9X.jpg

What you meant to say, was no one important ever goes there. In which case, you are correct.

... O-oh.
    Well gee, thanks for that. Now I feel terrible. I blame timezones and lack of background research v:

But do we have the resources for/already have a test server?

woothie wrote:
    woothie wrote:

i3K9g9X.jpg

... O-oh.
    Well gee, thanks for that. Now I feel terrible. I blame timezones and lack of background research v:

But do we have the resources for/already have a test server?
    We don't need a test server, if we did we would have one.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

So can we add LemonGate to the server? I would love to try my hand on something more lua-like than E2.

Bump

Lemongate got a giant NO after I looked at it for a while, and Starfall, while slightly better, would need some heavy changes before I'd put it on the server.

For the moment we're not going to be getting a lua chip(also lemongate isn't even lua).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file