Home Other Games
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

The Universe Project

KanzukeKanzuke Registered, Moderator Posts: 181
edited January 2013 in Other Games #1
"The most ambitious video game project in history"

Star Citizens may be incredibly hype, and have a far greater chance of being made, but sweet Jesus this game.

Video explains it far better than I can, just watch it, it's incredibly ambitious, but has potential to be the greatest game this planet has seen.

Lambda217: oh oh i am kanzuke and i love my little pony and now i'll make all the brandonphysics myself cause i know fuckin everything because now i'll make a big pony fighter drone squad and a big fuckin portal ship and i am a fuckin idiot

Comments

• Lambda217Lambda217 Registered, Moderator Posts: 534
    I want to get super pumped for this, but considering they've only got a video about the game to supplement their crazy-high ambitions, I'm really not sure at all.

Still, thinking about spamming
    Halo Dude wrote:
    I kill you all and I enjoy it. I destroy you in your indolent billions - in your gluttony, in your self-righteousness, in your arrogance. I pound your cities into dust; turn back the clock on your civilization’s progress. What has taken you millennia to achieve I erase in seconds.
    Welcome back to the Stone Age, vermin. Welcome home.

in chat throughout an orbital bombardment caused my penises that weren't already erect from Star Citizens to spring up in joy.

"I want you to show this world what it means to fear the sky."
  • Ded10cDed10c Registered Posts: 136
    My one concern is that, once the universe has advanced, that's it. Once the dark age is over and you're on science fiction, there won't be any more dark age.
    AHadley wrote:
    My one concern is that, once the universe has advanced, that's it. Once the dark age is over and you're on science fiction, there won't be any more dark age.

Welp, like my post said, you could always manufacture another one.

• KanzukeKanzuke Registered, Moderator Posts: 181
    AHadley wrote:

Why would you want any more dark age? Space is where all the cool stuff is at.

Lambda217: oh oh i am kanzuke and i love my little pony and now i'll make all the brandonphysics myself cause i know fuckin everything because now i'll make a big pony fighter drone squad and a big fuckin portal ship and i am a fuckin idiot
  • xX Lord Anubis XxxX Lord Anubis Xx Registered Posts: 170
    Kanzuke wrote:
    AHadley wrote:

Why would you want any more dark age? Space is where all the cool stuff is at.
    this.
    Every Human Being has some capacity for evil. It's just that some Humans have a greater capacity for evil than others.
  • Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    Why does the beginning of this remind me of Minecraft...

This is impossible at the scale they want to do it. It is flat out impossible to create such a system and have people play it. Yes, you can make it, no, no one will bother. Why not just do these things in real life? People play games to have something different, not to have another copy of the same. Also, I doubt the technology will ever reach the point of proper space exploration, and if it does, most of the time will be spent forever locked into a tiny ship traveling a vast distance. Same with using a boat to get across the ocean, and so on, and so on. These things are simply no fun when presented realistically.
  • OverloaderdaveOverloaderdave Registered Posts: 87
    you would have combat, so you would make bigger ships to combat smaller ones more effectively (like a titan compared to a fighter); travel would be in the form of tiny fast ships but combat would be a weeny teeny bit bigger as you woudl have to store ammo and gun mechanisms...
    I guess nobody really grasps just how VAST AND EMPTY most of the goddamn universe is. Take a look out your nearest Atmosphere at night, most of the shit you see is black, and the few lights you see are unfathomably far away. To create even a detailed map of Sol and the surrounding systems realistically would probably use up all the hard drive space on the planet and more. Face it, this kind of thing is more fantasy and nobody will do it unless they have a shitload of time and money on their hands. It's not going to happen in this generation. I promise you.
    Every Human Being has some capacity for evil. It's just that some Humans have a greater capacity for evil than others.
    I guess nobody really grasps just how VAST AND EMPTY most of the goddamn universe is. Take a look out your nearest Atmosphere at night, most of the shit you see is black, and the few lights you see are unfathomably far away. To create even a detailed map of Sol and the surrounding systems realistically would probably use up all the hard drive space on the planet and more. Face it, this kind of thing is more fantasy and nobody will do it unless they have a shitload of time and money on their hands. It's not going to happen in this generation. I promise you.

EDIT: And when I say detailed map, I mean EVERYTHING that would be there, and real, uncompressed distances across vast swaths of nothingness. Sure, extradimensional and warped space based drives could exist, but even then it would take an extremely long time to get from, say earth to a system 300LY away.

EDIT: And when I say detailed map, I mean EVERYTHING that would be there, and real, uncompressed distances across vast swaths of nothingness. Sure, extradimensional and warped space based drives could exist, but even then it would take an extremely long time to get from, say earth to a system 300LY away.

I fail to see how vast empty space poses a problem, and the developers here aren't modelling our universe, we don't know enough about our one, the game universe is completely fictional, so planets, stars, even solar systems could be copied and pasted with just a few variables replaced. Spore managed a huge universe of unique planets on just 4 Gb of hard drive space, all the detial you are expecting just isn't necessary. And in terms of travel time, well, they might give us a bit of slack here and there in regards to the laws of physics, so interstellar travel may indeed be feasible.

• Ded10cDed10c Registered Posts: 136
    Frankly, we don't know enough about what they're going to do and how they're going to do it to be able to make guesses on whether it's possible or not.
    edited January 2013 #13
    I'm sure you'll all be shocked to learn that this game is actually making some progress. Mostly just concept elaboration and the team working on it has expanded a bit, but they have an FAQ up, which includes pictures for the base design of the game, and a whole bunch of text about their plan for it. They look like they seriously will be trying to make this happen.

concept_art1_isometric.jpg

Before they run a kickstarter (although hopefully they'll have something functional before they start asking for money) they are just doing an email signup to gauge interest, including referral benefits such as access to the Beta, Alpha and day-to-day updates on the games progress, so if you'd be so kind as to use me as your referral, I can hopefully relay the Daily updates if anything really becomes of this.

Referral Link

Standard Link

• A Knight Of NiA Knight Of Ni Registered Posts: 9
    The first person to get FTL drive is going to fly around and nuke all the planets getting near FTL or for fun.
    The first person to get FTL drive is going to fly around and nuke all the planets getting near FTL or for fun.

then he gets super cocky and goes to nuke a stone age planet

cave-man throws spear, spear lodges in ship reactor vents

ship explodes

rage

if he had FTL drive, he would be able to travel in time...
    so he could easily go back just before it hit and come from somewhere else :3
    e.g an invincible ship
  • DataSchmuckDataSchmuck Registered, Moderator Posts: 147
    how will he go back in time if hes dead?
    wont he know? he can go forward and see the wreck, so therefore go back when he gets there to have multiple of the SAME SHIP attacking at once

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file