Home Suggestions
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Spawn Planet Compressors

OverloaderdaveOverloaderdave Registered Posts: 87
edited December 2012 in Suggestions #1
I kinda set the multiplier on a compressor to 1000... but I dont usually use compressors. anyway, the oxygen percent is stuck at 0 and poeple are still trying to compress o2 to keep alive- can you restart the server to fix the atmosphere?
mainly I did it to show all the new poeple how compressors kill the planet. because everyone was placing down like 10 compressors and just pumping air...

but yeah I screwed up reversing it; I put it loads of hydrogen but in the end I got oxy to 7%-and found someone compressing!

Comments

• LtBrandonLtBrandon Registered, Administrator Posts: 507
    I kinda set the multiplier on a compressor to 1000... but I dont usually use compressors. anyway, the oxygen percent is stuck at 0 and poeple are still trying to compress o2 to keep alive- can you restart the server to fix the atmosphere?
    ...Once oxygen is 0 you cannot compress more, this shit is why we do NOT use compressors unless we are terraforming. Use a blasted water splitter next time.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Lλmbdλ: donations for coding the space future of diaspora :>

Get your extra long EVE trial here!
  • Lambda217Lambda217 Registered, Moderator Posts: 534
    LtBrandon wrote:
    ...Once oxygen is 0 you cannot compress more, this shit is why we do NOT use compressors unless we are terraforming. Use a blasted water splitter next time.

Remind me why we don't have compressors filtered?

"I want you to show this world what it means to fear the sky."
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    Lambda217 wrote:
    LtBrandon wrote:

Remind me why we don't have compressors filtered?
    Better yet, why don't we just have a Spawn Planet Protector that resets the spawn atmosphere to its original state every few seconds?
  • Mouldy_TacoMouldy_Taco Registered, Moderator Posts: 133
    I would compare that to putting up rails on a bowling alley. The point of the gutter is to encourage you to throw the ball correctly, removing the penalty just makes people lazy.

I think a more realistic solution would be to set the compressor tool to a certain rank, and anyone below that rank that tries to use it will automatically switch to the heavy water electrolyzer tool.
    "If this works, it'll keep us from getting' caught. If it doesn't, it'll keep us from gettin' old," -- MacGyver
    I would compare that to putting up rails on a bowling alley. The point of the gutter is to encourage you to throw the ball correctly, removing the penalty just makes people lazy.

Except in this analogy, if someone throws into the gutter, oxygen is vented from the alley and everyone dies choking and loses ten points.

• Ded10cDed10c Registered Posts: 136
    Lambda217 wrote:

Except in this analogy, if someone throws into the gutter, oxygen is vented from the alley and everyone dies choking and loses ten points.

Great! More encouragement to throw the ball correctly! :D
    Just going to go and split this off. I feel that there's some discussion to be had on this subject, but the restart thread isn't quite the place to do it.

I'm going to add one bit to the side of a maintainer script: unless this has been made much, much easier since I last played, it's quite hard to drain the spawn planet of oxygen unless you've either: A) left some compressors running next to a very large storage for a very long time, or B) set the multiplier to 1000. If the situation is version A, then the player using them was probably just being forgetful; if it is B, however, that means that the player already knows how compressors work (at least on a rudimentary level), and is either brute-forcing it or actually being an Eco-terrorist.

Long story short: why punish players doing it right for a neophyte or mingebag doing it wrong?
  • OverloaderdaveOverloaderdave Registered Posts: 87
    the reason I did it was because loads of poeple were spamming oxy compressors everywhere, so I decided to show them the consequences ^^
    the reason I did it was because loads of poeple were spamming oxy compressors everywhere, so I decided to show them the consequences ^^

you are the space hero this server deserves

• DataSchmuckDataSchmuck Registered, Moderator Posts: 147
    It doesn't happen often enough to warrant any restrictions. Dave's case was to be educational, but he accidentally messed up. I think its fine to use a compressor on spawn as long as you regulate how much you take. And a few compressors with no multipliers will take a good while to drain a planet, the server will usually crash before it happens. Usually, if you know about multipliers, you know not to use them on spawn. And if not, telling people about the consequences will get them to stop. And if they don't, take screens or video and report them.
    this thread needs locking... badly. I just reported that I accidently took billions of oxygen out of atmosphere and got all this happening...
    this thread needs locking... badly. I just reported that I accidently took billions of oxygen out of atmosphere and got all this happening...
    It really doesn't. It may have started with you, but the discussion is not about that sole incident.
    How about we take a focused approach to this problem and just have anyone who sets the multiplier of a compressor on spawn to above five get teleported to the Chamber Of Crotch Punches?

• LtBrandonLtBrandon Registered, Administrator Posts: 507
    Lambda217 wrote:
    How about we take a focused approach to this problem and just have anyone who sets the multiplier of a compressor on spawn to above five get teleported to the Chamber Of Crotch Punches?
    If you want to go around to every spacebuild map and make a very long list of every spawn planet's coordinates, default air values, radius, and put it into a form lua can easily read, then be my guest. Doing something about gas compressors isn't particularly high on my todo list because there really isn't a reason to restrict them, people learn not to do it after hearing and seeing why they are a bad choice.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Lλmbdλ: donations for coding the space future of diaspora :>

Get your extra long EVE trial here!
    LtBrandon wrote:
    If you want to go around to every spacebuild map and make a very long list of every spawn planet's coordinates, default air values, radius, and put it into a form lua can easily read, then be my guest. Doing something about gas compressors isn't particularly high on my todo list because there really isn't a reason to restrict them, people learn not to do it after hearing and seeing why they are a bad choice.

You wouldn't even need a giant list of default values, you would only need either the coordinates or the entity name (IIRC) of the spawn planet's atmosphere for each map. On load, you could run a simple case switch or similar, and if the map has a set spawn atmosphere, record its stats for later use. If you were feeling particularly creative, you could make that list a file, and have some chat command hooks for admins to slowly build up the database or temporarily for any special events.

I never said it was a high priority, but it should be on the consideration list eventually.
    also, we need signs saying "nitrogen is useless!" because it is... suits just display using nitrogen but dont use any at all it does is make vacuum vanish. really, if you suck enough of that out you get vacuum, which lowers energy, in turn killing the planet
    then we just need to vent some hydrogen and energy to fill it back up. useful.
    also, we need signs saying "nitrogen is useless!" because it is... suits just display using nitrogen but dont use any at all it does is make vacuum vanish. really, if you suck enough of that out you get vacuum, which lowers energy, in turn killing the planet
    then we just need to vent some hydrogen and energy to fill it back up. useful.

I always thought you needed it for super hot planets.

nope, water is for that.
    energy gives you energy in bar,
    oxygen gives you air,
    water gives you coolant,
    nitrogen does nothing.

also now I can kill a compressor spammer via e2
    because of course I had to learn it!
  • NinjrKillrNinjrKillr Registered Posts: 175
    For terraforming a hot planet planet, I'm fairly certain you need Nitrogen. Water is used for maintaining artificial environments, not terraforming them.

Besides, mildly off-topic. I'll be looking into Steev's idea about refreshing the spawn planet's atmosphere periodically after my holiday. In the mean-time, no more of this rampant atmosphere stealing! :D

"We fear that which we cannot see... we respect that which we cannot see... thus the blade will be wielded."

Urahara_Bleach_Signature_by_Harty73.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file