Home Development
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Career System

AmaroqAmaroq Registered, Administrator Posts: 450
edited August 2012 in Development #1
So, I've decided to create a career system that is already on the way to being made. It's still heavily in development, so don't expect it to be done too soon, but I figured that public knowledge of this system will help it grow and proper critique for it will be good.

I might post the whole thing here in proper text, but for now, here's a link to the Document that overviews it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Qse ... pwBh4/edit

Feel free to give ideas, though there is no guarantee I will use them all.

Along with that, you can comment on the document freely, so feel free to do so there, or here.

Comments

• Lambda217Lambda217 Registered, Moderator Posts: 534
    Readers take note, Lambda gets 85% credit for coming up with Navigation as a skill.

also we should totally turn the Mining tree into "Industry" so we can add Salvage as a skill

also add skills that take a week to train for the ultimate EVE Spreadsheets experience

"I want you to show this world what it means to fear the sky."
  • blood alterblood alter Registered Posts: 2
    this will be added right? i hope it gets done soon.
    I want it to be added so I can be formally recognized as a Commander.

That, and the whole "proper ship crew" potential.

• AmaroqAmaroq Registered, Administrator Posts: 450
    I was tempted to really start making the Career base code for Gmod 13, since it's basically ready to start. After that, we just gotta implement stuff in the cores, as well as add the extra features that'll affect Mining and Gyros.
  • woothiewoothie Registered Posts: 44
    Am I the only one that has seem to notice we have two unused resources from the mining addon; Ice and Rubble? I'm not sure if rubble is aquirable, but I know ice is. Any thoughts on this, devs?
    Posting this here because adding this to the new career system would be nice.

• xX Lord Anubis XxxX Lord Anubis Xx Registered Posts: 170
    woothie wrote:
    Am I the only one that has seem to notice we have two unused resources from the mining addon; Ice and Rubble? I'm not sure if rubble is aquirable, but I know ice is. Any thoughts on this, devs?
    Rubble is the worthless shit in asteroids that makes up most of the floating fucker, and Ice are those white asteroids (Frozen water).
    Sorry for my language my computer is broken and I just needed to cuss at something.
    Every Human Being has some capacity for evil. It's just that some Humans have a greater capacity for evil than others.
  • AmaroqAmaroq Registered, Administrator Posts: 450
    woothie wrote:

Pretty much what Anubis said. Rubble is completely useless material that makes up some of the rock, that your laser has to sift through to get to the good stuff.

Ice is just frozen water. You mine the ice, you get water for it.
  • xX Lord Anubis XxxX Lord Anubis Xx Registered Posts: 170
    Amaroq wrote:
    woothie wrote:

Pretty much what Anubis said. Rubble is completely useless material that makes up some of the rock, that your laser has to sift through to get to the good stuff.

Ice is just frozen water. You mine the ice, you get water for it.
    I think we should find a use for it tho. What element(s) could make up space rubble? We could have a rubble sifter that has no multiplier and uses a lot of energy and takes a long time to make rubble into useful things, like hydrogen, oxygen etc (or more ore. I think it would be cool to make this useless thing have some use.
    Every Human Being has some capacity for evil. It's just that some Humans have a greater capacity for evil than others.
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    I think we should find a use for it tho. What element(s) could make up space rubble? We could have a rubble sifter that has no multiplier and uses a lot of energy and takes a long time to make rubble into useful things, like hydrogen, oxygen etc (or more ore. I think it would be cool to make this useless thing have some use.
    Rubble was implemented as a measure of some realism to the mining mechanic. A typical asteroid is not 100% useful materials, and the mining lasers could be thought of as melting down and processing the entire rock, rather than just aiming at veins and missing deep-core stuff (hence why asteroids disappear after being mined). As such, a mining laser's output could be thought of as the mass processed from the asteroid, rather than the straight input from the laser itself.

If we had known anything about particle effects and such back when we programmed the thing, the asteroids probably would have broken apart through the mining process to convey this idea.

Also, if I remember right, the ore processing plant entity already outputs random gasses along with Metal; that is unless this has been changed since I last touched GMod, of course. If this is the case, "Ore" can be thought of as just the parts of the 'roid containing valuable materials (gasses, Metal, PN, what have you), where everything else ("Rubble") is just ejected into space.
    Load rubble into rapid-fire cannon, sand enemy ships to death.

Lambda217 wrote:
    Load rubble into rapid-fire cannon, sand enemy ships to death.
    Could probably do that. Call the weapon the Blunderbuss. Target prop slowly turns to a scratched up white material.
  • NinjrKillrNinjrKillr Registered Posts: 175
    Lambda isn't kidding, he wants that gun now. :D

"We fear that which we cannot see... we respect that which we cannot see... thus the blade will be wielded."

Urahara_Bleach_Signature_by_Harty73.png
    It would make a good anti-fighter counterpart for the Dubstep Cannon.

Lambda217 wrote:
    It would make a good anti-fighter counterpart for the Dubstep Cannon.
    Ah, the good ol' One Two - Wub Spew combo?
    Better than mjolnirs anyday.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file