Home Development
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

sb_gooniverse_v3e

AmaroqAmaroq Registered, Administrator Posts: 450
edited January 2016 in Development #1
So, I love Gooniverse. It's one of my favorite SB maps, ever. Massive area, interesting planets, very pretty.. But it has a laggy-PHX station, reflective water that runs terribly, isn't made for SB3..

Well, I decided to fix all that. I made Gooniverse V3 (Made a dumb syntax error in V2), which is essentially the same map, but a few pretty big differences:
  • The performance of the map is much, much better now. I fixed the laggy water and removed the buggy PHX station, so framerates should be about as stable as they are on Forlorn, probably a bit moreso.
  • It is remade for SB3, so it is now fully compatible. All the planets have proper names and resources, as well as a few other things.
  • It now has a Spawn Room, so no more RSO's on connect!
  • The cubemaps are greatly improved, so the reflections aren't as weird.
  • HDR support. Yeah, this isn't an amazing thing, but it looks pretty nice on most planets.
  • Smoothed out displacements, they aren't as sharp.
  • Changed water, should be prettier and effected by clientside settings.
  • Altered Coruscant's (City Planet) and Kobol's (Icy water planet) sky texture to be less retina-destroying.
  • Tiny little fixes/features to the map here and there, that were bothering me/needed.

Keep in mind, this isn't final. I'll probably add some new stuff later, if it's needed. But for now, this was literally all I could think of that needed fixing. If it looks like this is all we need after a bit, I'll finalize the compile and rename it to sb_gooniverse_final or something.

Foo02jW.jpg
7rr7X.jpg
1al8Mwk.jpg
SkM10.jpg
FbkXe.jpg
XqBlD.jpg
G2FWu.jpg

Download it here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =605147065

Comments

• xX Lord Anubis XxxX Lord Anubis Xx Registered Posts: 170
    RSO bunker please.
    Every Human Being has some capacity for evil. It's just that some Humans have a greater capacity for evil than others.
  • KanzukeKanzuke Registered, Moderator Posts: 181
    -Snip-

Clak gave me a direct link to the map for anyone who can't get it from the server

http://goo.gl/ltuyG

Lambda217: oh oh i am kanzuke and i love my little pony and now i'll make all the brandonphysics myself cause i know fuckin everything because now i'll make a big pony fighter drone squad and a big fuckin portal ship and i am a fuckin idiot
  • LtBrandonLtBrandon Registered, Administrator Posts: 507
    Amaroq wrote:
    So, I love Gooniverse. It's one of my favorite SB maps, ever. Massive area, interesting planets, very pretty.. But it has a laggy-PHX station, reflective water that runs terribly, isn't made for SB3..

Well, I decided to fix all that. I made Gooniverse V3 (Made a dumb syntax error in V2), which is essentially the same map, but a few pretty big differences:
    • The performance of the map is much, much better now. I fixed the laggy water and removed the buggy PHX station, so framerates should be about as stable as they are on Forlorn, probably a bit moreso.
    • It is remade for SB3, so it is now fully compatable. All the planets have proper names and resources, as well as a few other things.
    • It now has a Spawn Room, so no more RSO's on connect!
    • The cubemaps on the moon planet are greatly improved, so the reflections aren't as weird.
    • HDR support. Yeah, this isn't an amazing thing, but it looks pretty nice on most planets.
    • Tiny little fixes/features to the map here and there, that were bothering me/needed.

Keep in mind, this isn't final. I'll probably add some new stuff later, if it's needed. But for now, this was literally all I could think of that needed fixing. If it looks like this is all we need after a bit, I'll finalize the compile and rename it to sb_gooniverse_final or something.

Will be adding pictures soon!

Grab it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?ank22w2lyl9wlaw
    You made lots of horrid graphical glitches. I've never found the water to be laggy, I'd much prefer the old water back :\ My framerate is actually worse than it was before you changed things >_>

/me is not impressed and will continue to use the old map

I'll get screenshots of said derpy shit later.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Lλmbdλ: donations for coding the space future of diaspora :>

Get your extra long EVE trial here!
  • AmaroqAmaroq Registered, Administrator Posts: 450
    LtBrandon wrote:
    You made lots of horrid graphical glitches. I've never found the water to be laggy, I'd much prefer the old water back :\ My framerate is actually worse than it was before you changed things >_>

/me is not impressed and will continue to use the old map

I'll get screenshots of said derpy shit later.

You're going to have to point out exactly what you're talking about, because my framerate is nearly double what it was before. Most other people say the same.

Reflected/refracted water forces your client to render the scene, take a screenshot and render the scene underwater, then render the entire scene again for the reflection. The water it has now gets rid of all that, and simply renders what you see.

Along with that, no PHX station. That thing alone drained a bunch of resources.

Also, you're going to have to point out graphical glitches to me. I scoured the entire map many times and did not find a single one, after compiling. Another thing: It's on Fast Compile, and isn't the final one. Mostly because it's not finished, so there may be some graphical glitches.

Perhaps your client is a bit weirdly configured? Try turning off HDR, that might fix some issues. I've heard some clients can be weird with that enabled in Gmod.
  • Lambda217Lambda217 Registered, Moderator Posts: 534
    Incidentally, solar panels don't seem to be working on this map's spawn planet.

"I want you to show this world what it means to fear the sky."
    Made some minor updates. Added some more cubemaps and upped the resolution, should fix some of the weird visual bugs that were being seen on Spawn.
    Updated again. Smoothed out Displacements on most planets, re-added more expensive water (Figuring out how to disable it clientside, if need be), and altered the sky texture on Coruscant (City planet) to not be so bright.
    Added screenshots! (Finally)
  • druedandruedan Registered Posts: 42
    I can't get the map from the server and the link doesn't work...can somebody post a functional link please?
    The map being gooniverse v3b
  • Lambda217Lambda217 Registered, Moderator Posts: 534

"I want you to show this world what it means to fear the sky."
    Danka
    Download link please, can't get from server, etc, etc
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    Merged a bunch of druedan's posts. You do not need to spam the forums with threads every time you have a similar issue.
    Sorry.
    But about v3c...
    druedan wrote:
    But about v3c...

Try reading the OP.
    OKAY, SO!

After nearly three years of dicking around, I finally got back into map-making, or editing or whatever. Point is, I made a few long-asked-for changes, that being to re-prettify the water, put back in the ugly, nonsensical valley on the spawn mountains, and also alter one of the planet settings to be better suited for SB4.
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    Woo!

By the way, if you have any idea for any map interfaces for SB4 (like SB3 had stars and configurable resources per atmosphere), we could probably make it happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file