Home Other Games
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Tribes: Ascend

Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
edited April 2012 in Other Games #1
So, apparently I've had a beta key for this damn thing forever and only just now activated it. I got a referral link that I think lets other people get the beta too, though by now it may already be in open beta. In any case, I am going to give out the link because I feel a high speed FPS like this needs a bunch of players and apparently I get a benefit for referrals. Who knows, maybe you do too.

My Referral Link

Comments

• SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    Got my account from TotalBiscuit's referral earlier this week, but the requirements are greater than my laptop, so I'm waiting until I get home.
  • Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    Yea in his video he said something about unlocking "everything" because of all the referrals.
    I've finally been able to give it a try (turns out that my laptop can run it for a bit, but starts to lag up after a while), and have gotten about to level 6 in that time. I think it's got a ton of potential, it's really fun, and has that healthy dose of high-paced action that games have been missing for the past decade now. However, I know it can be forgiven for it being in Beta still, but there are things that need fixing.

Mainly, the things that need fixing are the obvious ones, like class imbalances and inefficiencies causing slow-downs. Surprisingly, the beta is actually rather bug-free, at least nothing obvious (maybe some shots not doing damage here and there, but that may be my imagination). No, what I think needs the most balancing aside from those, is the pricing of unlocks.

Now, if anyone has played League of Legends, you know that they have a Free-To-Play system where you can unlock helpful things like new champions and runes with currency acquired through in-game play, and you can pay real money to speed it all up or buy skins for your champions. Tribes: Ascend has a near-identical model, but the problem is that everything, except classes and upgrades, are way overpriced. For in-game XP, you get around 1000-2000 a match (if you're doing well), and most of the unlockable weapons in the game cost 100,000 XP! Playing 50+ hours to get a single unlock is quite a slog.

The caveat here is that, if you think that you would like to skip said slog and go right to the weapons, you can pay with "Tribes Gold," the paid-for currency of the game, but that's quite overpriced as well. Last I checked, it's about $1 USD per 100 Gold, and those 100,000 XP weapon unlocks cost 780 Gold apiece. Skins themselves cost somewhere near $25 USD as well, meaning that you could buy half a full-price game for a single unlock.

I mostly agree with what is said in TotalBiscuit's "Cloak and Dagger Update" coverage video, which mentions the above and more:
    Admin Hijack!
    This thread is now about Tribes names. Mine's Steeveeo (like always).
  • Ded10cDed10c Registered Posts: 136
    AHadley, I think. Or maybe AHadley23.
  • Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    Nielk1
  • NinjrKillrNinjrKillr Registered Posts: 175
    'Ninjrkillr, as per normal, but I have yet to try the game yet. Will do so now.

"We fear that which we cannot see... we respect that which we cannot see... thus the blade will be wielded."

Urahara_Bleach_Signature_by_Harty73.png
  • LtBrandonLtBrandon Registered, Administrator Posts: 507
    Steeveeo wrote:
    Admin Hijack!
    This thread is now about Tribes names. Mine's Steeveeo (like always).

I c wat u did thar.

Lt.Brandon or LtBrandon should be one of those, if not then I dunno.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Lλmbdλ: donations for coding the space future of diaspora :>

Get your extra long EVE trial here!
  • hadleyrhadleyr Registered Posts: 51
    Mine's hadleyr, as per usual.
    [minecrafthead]hadleyr[/minecrafthead] -h.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file