Home General
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Expected Downtime - Moving

SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
edited April 2012 in General #1
Hello all, in the next couple of weeks, the Minecraft server will be experiencing downtime due to a move I've been forced into. During this time, the IP behind the domain name will change, it may take some time for me to get Comcast transferred over to the new place, and anything else that needs sorting takes priority over getting the server back online.

Now for a bit of the backstory. As many of you know, I'm currently at DeVry University working on my degree in Game and Simulation Programming. It's a small campus, so there's no dormitories; due to this, I had to go with a company called Collegiate Housing Services in order to get student housing, as I have no income to speak of in order to get a place on my own. I must say, if any of you reading this heads off to university, needs housing, and has to option of going with CHS, stay as far away as possible, they're nothing but hassle. Firstly, they overcharge for their places, there were 4 of us in a 2-bed apartment, all paying $450 a month; $1800 for a 2-bed flat is horrid. Secondly, they WILL force you to move without proper warning; Washington law says that leasers need to provide a 30-day notice before any early-lease expiry, but as they lease from the apartments themselves, they do not see fit to provide such decency.

Now, back in February, all the current residents of CHS were called into a meeting on the campus and were notified that they were going to be buggering off in June, leaving all of us (most of which do not qualify for most apartments here) high and dry. Now, just a few days ago, I get notice that my roommate and I are being "Consolidated," meaning we have like 5 days to pack and move over to the new apartment (added kick in the teeth, it's $20 more expensive per-person than current). We talked with the corporate object and have gotten until the 10th of April to get everything moved, which is quite a bit better than what it was, but it's still quite frustrating.

Currently, I am moving in with a former roommate for a few weeks while we look for a better place to stay. It's a small, 1-bed studio that will now have 3 people in it, so it's going to be a bit cramped for awhile. Hopefully we'll be able to find a 3-bed somewhere nearby within the next couple of weeks. Regardless, it might be a while before the server is back up to capacity, but I will try to have it as soon as possible.

Comments

• Ded10cDed10c Registered Posts: 136
    I always thought we were hosted externally.
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    AHadley wrote:
    I always thought we were hosted externally.
    Nope, if you look on the Specs section of the Server Details thread, those are all consumer-grade components.
  • Ded10cDed10c Registered Posts: 136
    Fair enough.
  • hadleyrhadleyr Registered Posts: 51
    I don't mean to sound cynical, but does Washington have an equivalent to the Uk's Trading Standards Authority, because this sounds like a case for that kind of thing. But regardlessly, I hope found find a place soon, where the owners aren't a company of jerks.
    [minecrafthead]hadleyr[/minecrafthead] -h.
    hadleyr wrote:
    I don't mean to sound cynical, but does Washington have an equivalent to the Uk's Trading Standards Authority, because this sounds like a case for that kind of thing. But regardlessly, I hope found find a place soon, where the owners aren't a company of jerks.
    Which one's that?
    Trading Standards are a government department which has divisions in every UK region and are there to protect consumers from dodgy traders and companies which attempt to rip off customers or break certain laws.
    hadleyr wrote:
    Trading Standards are a government department which has divisions in every UK region and are there to protect consumers from dodgy traders and companies which attempt to rip off customers or break certain laws.
    Sounds like the Better Business Bureau to me, and it would be a matter of figuring out what laws they broke first.
    They should do that - or at least, that's what Trading Standards would do.
This discussion has been closed.