Home General
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Minecraft Skin Display [TEST IT HERE!]

Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
edited July 2012 in General #1
Split from Minecraft Server Details -Steeveeo

I have to say I am a bit worried you linked our skins directly. No one lift mine, its full custom!

Comments

• SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    Anyone who does just 30 seconds of research can figure out that the skin storage is not secure anyway. However, I still wish to ONLY have the faces, and the 10 diamond bounty for that kind of dynamic application or whatever is still up for grabs!
  • Ded10cDed10c Registered Posts: 136
    Mailed you a possible solution.
    AHadley wrote:
    Mailed you a possible solution.
    Nielk1 is working on preparing that for installation on the forums, and I'll be making the BBCode, so 10 diamonds to the both of you once this gets working.
  • hadleyrhadleyr Registered Posts: 51
    AH showed me your system, and fair play to you guys, it's better than what I had thought of. My metaphorical hats goes off to you. But if you want just the faces, would the skin edit / minershoes visualiser image still be a good idea?
    [minecrafthead]hadleyr[/minecrafthead] -h.
    Nielk1 got the system working with some PHP flags on his forum server, but he fell right the hell to sleep the moment I tried installing it on this one, and I can't get it to display anything but the default skin.

EDIT: Just added in some BBCode to work with the little mod. When this:
    image matches this: render.php?user=Nielk1&size=5&head
    it has been successfully installed.

Until then, we wait until Nielk1 wakes up...
    Sorry I couldn't be around to help the test/debug effort a little more, I had to go off to work. Glad to see it should all be working :)
    AHadley wrote:
    Sorry I couldn't be around to help the test/debug effort a little more, I had to go off to work. Glad to see it should all be working :)
    But it isn't, reread that post.
    *should* all be working :P

I imagine it will be sorted quite sharply once N1 wakes up.
  • Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    The script is the same, something on the server is making it error out, and the default way to handle an error for it is to replace the skin with Steve.

Remove line 16 "set_error_handler("customError");" and it should dump an error file in the same folder as the PHP script giving you a clue.

Also, it seems poorly made skins sometimes cause issues (Rettro didn't make the non-visable parts of his skin transparent, it seems like stock Minecraft might skip head accessories that are all one color. Will try to write a fix.

EDIT:
    Perhaps Paperclip has protections on the site that prevent the PHP from loading content from outside the local domain and he has to add the domain the skin comes from to some sort of whitelist.

Also, fixed the issue above mentioned about solid color head accessories.
  • Paper ClipPaper Clip Registered, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 87
    I uploaded a test version with a couple debugging messages, renderEdit.php, which logs to log.txt and errorlog.txt. From the debug outputs I added, I can tell it is displaying the default image right now because it can't get the image from minecraft. When I enter that url, http://www.minecraft.net/skin/Nielk1.png, I can't get the image right now because the minecraft webpage is down. I will run a few more tests tomorrow when the server is back up to narrow down the problem.

Error message:
    2: imagecreatefrompng() [<a href='function.imagecreatefrompng'>function.imagecreatefrompng</a>]: Cannot read image data\n\r

Maybe it should be designed so that it stores a local copy of their character image for when the server is down? It might simply be that your script is using a cached copy of the character?
    The thing is, Nielk1 is running the exact same script as I installed here, and his works while ours does not.

Just as well, I clicked that link and it was not down, but our installed version still cannot get connection for some reason.
    Hilariously, I think I just fixed it...

The script was pointing to http://www.minecraft.net/skin/<USER>.png, whereas the websafe version is http://s3.amazonaws.com/MinecraftSkins/<USER>.png. If you click the link Paperclip provided, it goes to a download, rather than displaying it as a web image; I think PHP was freaking out about that very fact.

Pointing it to the right image host seems to actually work.

EDIT: Nielk1, please add in your fix for the all-white head accessory problem, it was not on the server when I added in the websafe image link.
  • Paper ClipPaper Clip Registered, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 87
    Weird, good to hear. Actually minecraft is responding for me, it seems as though it is a problem with the chrome browser with the weird redirection it does as well. Firefox and IE can go to the minecraft image link, but not my chrome browser - weird.
    This thread is now about testing the system.

• Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    You aren't using the latest if it is covering their head. Use the one I gave you with the loop to not render solid 1 color head accessories.

I used the minecraft.net one on purpose because it was a redirect in case they ever moved it. For some reason, the server Diaspora is on pukes on that redirect and mine does not.

I don't have FTP for this server or I would have had it all working by now. I had to upload the latest (a while ago) to the Minecraft game server so Steeveeo could get to it, He has not yet though.
    Ah, right, forgot about that. Fixing.

EDIT: I can't seem to find the version with the loop, actually. I MAY have accidentally deleted it. :\
    Please resend when you can.
    Uploaded the head-fix version.

Lol, look at all the steampunk! Also, I have to wonder if I can make an edit to the forum software sometime down the road to let people use their Minecraft heads as a live avatar rather than the standard image upload.

Anyone care to provide some help on that one?
This discussion has been closed.