Home General
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Next patch will cause issues

Ded10cDed10c Registered Posts: 136
edited January 2012 in General #1
A jungle biome has been added to the most recent weekly snapshot, which will require a new map to see it. Few other major changes.

Comments

• SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    Hopefully it will just be a biome seed change, and not a terrain generation change. I think at this point, if it is the latter, with the small size of Myrrha so far, we could probably get away with loading up the server with nothing but world edit and having everyone go to the edges and smooth the shear.
  • Ded10cDed10c Registered Posts: 136
    It will definitely requirea new world

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Upcoming_features - Added jungle biome (requires a new world) with new tree and leaf types

EDIT: That said, we could use the same seed and copy things over.
  • hadleyrhadleyr Registered Posts: 51
    From what I can tell, it may be only a temporary requirement for the jungle biomes, and that jeb will correct that in a later snapshot (and the update itself).
    [minecrafthead]hadleyr[/minecrafthead] -h.
    Huh, from what I read in the above, it will only spawn in NEW worlds, rather than just continuing on the old seed. If true, this leaves us open to using a separate world for generating the forests (maybe a seed with a gigantic one?) after we sort out the multi-world lag issues we currently have.

And after the power comes back on, whenever that will be.
  • Ded10cDed10c Registered Posts: 136
    How many worlds do you plan to have running simultaneously, in the end?
    Depends on what happens.
  • Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    Might this mean they are FINALLY packing the version # in the world file and making MC continue generating a map with the old generator if the version # says so. Or I hope it is.

I would wait on a new world and use a custom generator (one that gives control over existing bioms maybe) to force a world to all jungle or something.
  • jb_aerojb_aero Registered Posts: 11
    Hi there. Been a long time since I've made any comments here, but I do still check what's going on regularly. I've taken up more administrative roles in my own minecraft community, which ultimately won out over Steam/Source/GarrysMod's super long start up times, hopefully that will change if Garry gets his new update out sometime this century.

Anyway I find the frequency of terrain generation changes to be annoying as well (along with jeb making new releases when bukkit has barely caught up to his last one). If your world really is small enough that you could smooth the edges with worldedit, then I congratulate you on your patience. If you don't care about new biomes, you may want to check THIS out. Supposedly it keeps your terrain generation the same as it was when you installed it, even if the generation code changes.
    Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me
This discussion has been closed.