Home General
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

The Minecraft 1.0.0 Update and You!

SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
edited November 2011 in General #1
Greetings, Minecraftians. As many of you know, the 1.8 update is quickly approaching, and with that update, the whole terrain generation has been completely changed, meaning that any parts that are generated in the seeds we have will cause shearing in the landscapes and other ugly artifacts, as well as having none of the new terrain features unless you run way the heck out there.

So, we discussed this issue over the past couple of days and have come up with at least a temporary solution. Our current main world, Baehr, will be moving to a secondary world, and a new main world will be generated. We will do our best to find a copy of the old map generator for Baehr, so there will not be any landscape-shear, but this also means that this world will be essentially out of date and not have any of the cool terrain features such as rivers and ravines, or the supposed "Strongholds" and NPC villages that Notch talked about in the IGN interview (video below). I myself will be working on a "Duplicator" plugin for those who wish to move their creations on over to the new world relatively easily, but that will probably not be done in time for the update, and also will not duplicate chest contents.

Which brings me to the next point. Minecraft 1.8 also includes a leveling system, and depending on the depth of this leveling system at the time of release, McMMO will likely be removed in favor of using the stock system. Complain as you will, but keep in mind that this is ONLY IF Minecraft's leveling system is deemed better than McMMO's (also mind that this does not mean features alone, but also stability, balance, and ease-of-use). However, due to talk in the provided video about the update being split into 1.8 AND 1.9, this may not happen for some time, if at all.

Finally, here is what will happen in the interim between 1.7.3 and 1.8, where Bukkit and all our plugins get broken, then updated for the new version. Bukkit itself will indeed take a couple of days on average to catch up, and with the size of this update, I'd say that it might take a little longer. This means that the server will be staying on 1.7.3. until the updates are complete, and this means that you must not, and I need to stress this, MUST NOT update your Minecraft client to 1.8 until the "All-Clear" is given if you intend to play on the server during this time. If you want to play the new version in singleplayer, (I only know this for Windows, so Macs will have to do some research) open a file browser window and go to "%appdata%/.minecraft/bin/", copy "minecraft.jar", and rename it to "minecraft.jar.bak", then update as normal. When you want to play on the server, go back to that, remove the minecraft.jar, remove the ".bak" from your copied jar file, then refuse the update when loading. Remember, we cannot provide you with a 1.7.3 minecraft.jar here (piracy and the like), and if you update before reading this, you're not going to be able to play for at least half a week.

Now that that's said, revel in the awesome that 1.8 will bring! And remember, do not look directly into the Enderman!

Comments

• DataSchmuckDataSchmuck Registered, Moderator Posts: 147
    I've been playing the 1.8 leak that came out yesterday, all I can say is Wow. Wow. Wow. Switching Baehr to secondary and starting a new primary will be worth it, the new terrain and biomes are awe inspiring. The strongholds are incredible. Everything is just getting better and better. I cant wait to play 1.8 on Diaspora. Son, you will not be dissapoint.
  • AmaroqAmaroq Registered, Administrator Posts: 450
    I've actually got a server running right now, if you wanna try it out.

24.196.174.97:25566, just add it and join. It's vanilla MC, but it works great.
    So is this going to be like we have it now, where we can teleport between Baehr and the other worlds instantly, keeping our inventories, or will we be losing our inventories when we go to the new 1.8 world?
  • LtBrandonLtBrandon Registered, Administrator Posts: 507
    So is this going to be like we have it now, where we can teleport between Baehr and the other worlds instantly, keeping our inventories, or will we be losing our inventories when we go to the new 1.8 world?

So long as he copies the player data files over we will keep them. Otherwise, yes we will lose all of our inventories.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Lλmbdλ: donations for coding the space future of diaspora :>

Get your extra long EVE trial here!
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    It is highly likely that everyone in Baehr during the move will stay in Baehr, for the same reason why you can log out in Talon and log back in there without losing stuff. Just to be safe, though, I'd recommend storing everything just before the move and yes, there will be at least a day's warning on that.
  • Mr.Niceguy976Mr.Niceguy976 Registered Posts: 33
    ZOMG.

I just played the leaked 1.8- damn, this is turning into a more solid game every update!

I can't wait until we create a new world on the server. It'll be great! What will we name it?
    MrNiceguy9765.jpg
    geo.php
    I've already voted for calling it Amestus.
    I'll wait until the world's generated to make a name (I'll be trying to find a good seed in SSP when it comes out).
    So it seems that 1.8 is now out, but Bukkit will take some time to update. No, we will not be using any unstable build, as we will be waiting until Bukkit puts out a Recommended Build before updating.

Until then, gunna crowd-source this and ask you all to send in what you think would be a really nice seed for the new main world. Keep in mind that NONE of the known seeds in 1.7 and prior (like the awesome 404 and such) will work, as the terrain generation is completely different. If you generated a map randomly (no inputted seed), it should be shown on the F3 debug screen in-game. Screenshots would be nice, of course, but I will ultimately be looking through each suggestion (if any) in SSP before the Bukkit update.

Do it nao.
    MrNiceguy9765.jpg
    geo.php
    Huh. Seems pretty basic to me. Most maps have similar stuff to that.

I like this one. It starts you on the side of a mesa overlooking an npc village. There is a lake with a crack in the bottom, if you go down it theres some cool cave systems, found a ravine with lava instead of a river down there. Also on the other side of the mesa there is a very tall waterfall falling into an enclosed lake.

Check it out.

I like this one. It starts you on the side of a mesa overlooking an npc village. There is a lake with a crack in the bottom, if you go down it theres some cool cave systems, found a ravine with lava instead of a river down there. Also on the other side of the mesa there is a very tall waterfall falling into an enclosed lake.

Check it out.
    So far, this seems to be the strongest competitor for the new map, followed closely by Dubby's '6' seed. I like the area of readily available flat land next to all the mountains, and the village will make a nice spawn point.
  • DubbyDubby Registered Posts: 7
    I might seem a little selfish here with this, but I'm going to vote for my own survival map instead of the number 6. The seed is: 8790773648958628937

http://oi52.tinypic.com/2ztj885.jpg

You start in a forest, filled with friendly wolves. To the north and east of you is desert, funky mountains to the south and west. There is a very large ocean to the far north west, and even farther north. There is also a quaint little coastal village a short distance from spawn. That's not the big reason why I vote for mine, though. The big reason is the fact the map is overloaded with an excessive amount of abandoned mines. See here: http://oi51.tinypic.com/m2cnk.jpg Mines are full of easy to reach resources, they're all _very_ interconnected, and sport numerous, numerous treasure chests and spider spawners. There's also a moderately sized stronghold directly east of the village, but it's a day or two travel to get there on foot.
    Here's one I've been using for a while, seems to have nice features in any version. I don't care for much of the new features yet, but there are a lot of lakes and rivers over the mountain near spawn, and there is also a ravine near a lake with lots of stuff in it. :D

I leave you to explore it, the spawn isn't super interesting, but as you get away from spawn there are some interesting looking areas. I noticed a lot of flying bits in the newest version as well.

Seed: Hell is diamonds, and 3.14 is pie.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Any updates on this? The server is still down.
    MrNiceguy9765.jpg
    geo.php
    Any updates on this? The server is still down.
    No it is not, read the first post again.

If you're on 1.8.1, you will not be able to connect, you needed to have backed up your 1.7.3 jar or not updated at all.
    Just curious, but is anyone doing that? How many players have been on the server since the 1.8 update? Maybe we could just have a temporary 1.8 world to play around on? It sucks being homeless. Amaroq has a 1.8 server but its rarely up.
    Yeah, sorry. My grandfather made a thing about leaving the box on all the time, and he gets weird about it sucking up electricity/bandwidth. So yeah.

Seemingly pure Snow Biome seed. I've explored for kilometers on this place, the only spots that aren't snowy seem to be the spots with really deep water. Would be a great seed to use, I would think.
    so now 1.9 will be coming out soon. Are we gonna wait for that too? looks like bukkit was just updated to 1.81 today. by the time its ready for 1.9, the next version will be out, and well have to wait again. maybe we should just wait for November for the official release of minecraft.
    You seem to think that it will take nearly as long to come out with a new build. Considering that most of the stuff is just additions, not changes, they don't have to write Bukkit from scratch, like they pretty much did before. I'd guess a few days before the Bukkit RB comes out. However, if a relatively bugless version of Bukkit is released, I'll totally set it up.
    Amaroq wrote:

Seemingly pure Snow Biome seed. I've explored for kilometers on this place, the only spots that aren't snowy seem to be the spots with really deep water. Would be a great seed to use, I would think.
    Only if we're redoing Talon completely.
    Looks like the 1.9 update is coming out soon as well, which ALSO changes up the world generation code. Bukkit did release Recommended Build #1185 (on the 21st, seems the feed didn't update for me until today, freakin'...), and then I saw the 1.9-pre leak. What this all means is that, as it adds a bunch of new map features (like Mushroom biomes and restoring Snow biomes), generating a world now is just going to end up with the same world-shear as if we just left Baehr the way it is now.

Until the Bukkit RB release for 1.9, I think I am going to be running a basic Bukkit server in place of the main public server, which can be reached at the same URL as the public (same computer). This is not going to be permanent as it will go away once 1.9 for Bukkit comes out, and it is only going up for, as DataSchmuck put it:
    Maybe we could just have a temporary 1.8 world to play around on? It sucks being homeless.

It being completely temporary, this substitute server will just be set to Creative mode, so people can dick around as they feel like it. The whitelist will still be on and imported from the public, too. That being said, please refrain from spamming TNT everywhere, this IS still going to be a place to play. If you feel the intense urge to make new craters, go out past the 1,000 - 1,500 mark in some direction, THEN blow stuff up. Other than that, all the same rules apply as normal.
    Steeveeo wrote:
    Amaroq wrote:

Only if we're redoing Talon completely.

Do that and I'll burn you alive O_o

Dude, just take your stuff with you.
    Also, I do have a 1.0.0 server running. It doesn't have a whole lot, Just Essentials and Safe Creeper (Stops explosions from breaking stuff), but it works great, and it's dedicated. We've got a little village. So long as you're not griefing and stick to the aesthetic, then I can whitelist you.

It's a 10 slot server, so.. yeah.

IP is 108.202.57.69:25566
    I miss you guys. Whitlelist me please, Amaroq.
    The main server will be back up shortly, actually. Bukkit has some pretty dang stable dev builds at current, and they should be releasing a Release Build any time soon.

Also to note, I have just about finished my DupeBox plugin, so players with stuff in Baehr can move it to the new world when they get on. Baehr will be removed from the server in 2 months time (so people who went elsewhere have time to return), and all players who wish to move their structures can do so for free; all DupeBox pastes related to saving structures from Baehr will be admin-assisted and will not cost any materials.

In closing, the terrain generation was changed a couple times during the 1.9 Prereleases, so I need some more scouts for some good level seeds, as the ones we have now are no longer the same.
    I miss you guys. Whitlelist me please, Amaroq.

Added. Also, Steev. All of the 1.9 Biome seeds do work. Any changes to the World Gen have been structure or populator based, not terrain-based. So.. tree amount, structure placement/quantity, things like that. The actual terrain will look about the same.

That being said, use the Snow biome seed I provided up higher, it would make a fantastic Talon replacement. The snow biome is massive, I haven't been able to find the end of it yet.
This discussion has been closed.