Home Development
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

New Map

KamekaziKamekazi Registered Posts: 36
edited June 2011 in Development #1
After a 2 year hiatus from mapping, i have finally started a new project. So far the map includes 2 "capital" lag bunkers, 3 "Battleship/cruiser" lag bunkers, and spawn/teleporter room. The lag bunkers will be shielded behind a large asteroid field and sloped walls to prevent large ships from crashing into/spazzing on them.

Feel free to post suggestions/comments/questions about other features.

Comments

• Lambda217Lambda217 Registered, Moderator Posts: 534
    It would be interesting to have a dark planet with no sunlight. Dynamic lights can be laggy, but it would be nice to actually have a use for the LS lamps.
    Oh, and I vote that one planet is called Cydonia!

"I want you to show this world what it means to fear the sky."
  • KanzukeKanzuke Registered, Moderator Posts: 181
    Care to clarify what the Capital and Cruiser "Lag" bunkers are? Are the just space staion type things which certain classes of ship can't get into?

I'm really confused...

Lambda217: oh oh i am kanzuke and i love my little pony and now i'll make all the brandonphysics myself cause i know fuckin everything because now i'll make a big pony fighter drone squad and a big fuckin portal ship and i am a fuckin idiot
    I assume they are big bunkers with those thingies that prevent people outside them from rendering the contents, so that people can make giant ships made of Pulse Cannons without causing people to RSO! c:

• KanzukeKanzuke Registered, Moderator Posts: 181
    But why would that be needed if there's a spawn room? Because if that is so, people won't be able to watch the epic space battle from a habitable environment.

Lambda217: oh oh i am kanzuke and i love my little pony and now i'll make all the brandonphysics myself cause i know fuckin everything because now i'll make a big pony fighter drone squad and a big fuckin portal ship and i am a fuckin idiot
  • KamekaziKamekazi Registered Posts: 36
    The Build rooms will be just like the lag room in Forlorn, but bigger and outside of spawn. They will work in much the same way(with nicer textures/lighting). The bunkers serve as a place to build large projects that are not going to be ready to fly/fight for a while. While only small/combat ready ships should be built/spawned outside. And in the event that space becomes inaccessible to someone due to RSO, they can still teleport from spawn to these rooms to continue building there.

As far as planets go they will likely have translucent skies, however I will release a version with occluders and solid skies on the spawn planets as well.

I could name a planet Cydonia XD
  • Mr.Niceguy976Mr.Niceguy976 Registered Posts: 33
    If you need any texture help, ask me :D
    MrNiceguy9765.jpg
    geo.php
    Do you know how to make blended textures for use on displacements? The default mud/grass texture is terrible.

Putting up a screencap of a planet and the lag bunkers to show bunker sizes relative to the spawn planet.
  • Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    One of these days I am going to make a map bit ago with McBuilds but quit when the administration there starting acting like shits (well, some of them).

One thing I would love to see is a space station were it has massive bays that are set up for ship construction. They would not render the contents to anyone outside unless the bay doors are open and a custom LS entity would quickly evacuate or re-add air to the room for effect. Sort of a Lag Bunker 2.0 idea.
    We'd need a way to stop mean people from opening the doors while people are building however.

that would be great, if SnakeSVX would ever fix brush environments :evil:

maybe for sb4 :P
    HDR works now, moving on to more planets/setting up crystal spawners :ugeek:
  • KatelynKatelyn Registered, Administrator Posts: 171
    YAY AWESOMESAUCE <3<3<3!!!!
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    Lambda217 wrote:
    We'd need a way to stop mean people from opening the doors while people are building however.
    I have no idea if this will work because I am clueless about mapping, but if you can embed scripts inside a map (like Lua scripts or something), then you could give the first player into a build room a "key" to the control room for the doors, and then take that "key" away when they leave the build room.

That's as best as I can figure would work.
    Dumping today's renders.
    As for brush environments they are a no-go for now. Spacebuild just will not recognize them.
    lag bunkers are sealed away behind a layer of skybox to prevent "air in space" from their logic_case.

These screen-shots were taken in HDR, with -final option set for the light-map compile.
    These 2 didn't fit XD

More updates tomorrow, for now, I need to get some sleep.
  • AmaroqAmaroq Registered, Administrator Posts: 450
    Remember to try and keep the entity limit relatively low. Spacebuild is kind of iffy with lots of them.
    Damn, that's smexy!

Will do, I plan to do a few good spam tests and compare to other maps before I release it anyway.

Any props built into the map will be setup as static props without collision models enabled so they should not cause any extra lag.
    The real challenge will be coming up with a water solution for an ocean planet that does not kill fps.
    One set of water won't cause issues.

In my opinion, the water on one planet should be reflective, the rest should be Cheap.

Also, you don't have to worry about static prop's collision models. Those tend to lag very, very little. So long as they aren't spammed.
    A Water_lod_control entity takes care of cheap water, any water further than 1600 units away renders cheap, closer than that fades to normal water. If there is a planet covered in water it will be set to cheap to avoid lag locally as well.

I am trying to maintain at least 2x Forlorn's framerate. More if I can get it.
    Makes sense. I've run into a problem with the WLC though. It.. actually doesn't seem to do anything in Gmod. I've used it in Vacuum on every reflective water surface, and it seems to do nothing at all, even with the surfaces linked properly.
    Ouch, thanks for the heads up. I'll look into what goes into water/cheap water and see if I can make a cheap water that looks decent up close.
    Use good cubemaps, 64x64 resolution. Also, place it right in the middle of the surface, about 10 units above the water.

That's Valve's recommendation, anyways.
    Just dropped normal water for some modified dx7 water, instant 20% boost to framerate.

The water is still translucent and looks reasonably enough like water, however it does not refract or reflect.
    I should have a beta version of the map ready in 8 or so hours more hammer time. Anyone want to help test?
    Me! <3

edited June 2011 #28
    I've managed to recover many of the files i lost in the time since I released Forlorn. I am currently in the process of finishing SB_Battlegrounds, optimizing and recompiling Forlorn, and possibly optimizing and repairing SB_Spacewars(moon crash bug).

All 3 will also be updated with HDR lighting support. (Known nvidia 9k series problem: if hdr causes sudden jumps and falls in brightness, disable multi-core rendering).

Forlorn - optimized, compiling/testing now
    Battlegrounds - finalizing the last planet(lava), optimizing, bughunting
    Spacewar - looking for the source(s) of the moon glitch
    Status update:
    SB_Battlegrounds - tweaking
    SB_Spacewar_V6 - compiling
    SB_Forlorn_R3 - compiling

I should be able to upload all 3 some time tomorrow. :D
  • LtBrandonLtBrandon Registered, Administrator Posts: 507
    He has completed it !

FUHR TO THE SERVER WITH IT.

Battlegrounds: http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=122296
    Spacewar: http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=122292
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Lλmbdλ: donations for coding the space future of diaspora :>

Get your extra long EVE trial here!
    Yep he beat me to the post XD

Forlorn optimization in progress.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file