Home Suggestions
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Gravity Hulls!

Lambda217Lambda217 Registered, Moderator Posts: 534
edited August 2011 in Suggestions #1
Someone is finally making a addon so people can walk around inside ships!
http://www.facepunch.com/threads/108572 ... p=29629567
It's a fairly crazy way of doing it, but OverV is considering with Garry about adding it to the game if the beta works!
Of course, why have ship-to-ship infantry battles when you could just cover your frigate with as many types of pulse cannon as possible? But it should help with repairs and monitoring mining, plus give those nice interior core holograms more of a use!

"I want you to show this world what it means to fear the sky."

Comments

• Alex4921Alex4921 Registered Posts: 139
    Well done.
    I now have coke all over my computer screen.

I havent watched it yet however i'm guessing it creates a clone of the ship outside the map with you walking about in that and your camera set to a playermodel in the "real world"

Now we dont have to have ships that all fly "the right way up" like in star trek.

Inb4 Rotating ships!
    The quieter you are,the more you are able to hear.
  • Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    In Star Trek most ships are oriented to the galactic plane. Thus the strangest thing you would find in a non-battle situation would be a ship that is perfectly upside down because they viewed the galaxy flipped over from what many of the other races viewed. Also in Star Trek, interestingly, ships primarily moved by field interaction, thus they performed more like boats than Newtonian craft.

I have an idea that uses the same methods as this in combination with one of Dubby's ideas to extremely reduce the lag caused by ships by removing most of their body entirely and instead placing a very simplified object in its place. (Dubby's idea has to do with a bounding box used only for world collisions.)
    Suggestion1:
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/108563 ... hysics-mod
    Information:
    Read the thread but we NEED to wait till it has a fully stable release with the features we require before adding it,no good to have it half completed on the server

Suggestion2:
    Expand Infantry battles as if the above addon is put on the server boarding parties will become a whole lot more fun so things such as infantary weapons which charge up via the LS addon would be required(A special "Charging Point" for energy weapons,a micro-factory for weapons that use hard ammunition) with advantages to each sort of ammunition.
    If you like this point i could expand on it further with different ammunition types for each weapon.

Also we will need some sort of health boosting thing otherwise infantry battles will be over fast(Perhaps make cover more important on spaceships somehow and make it a rule that doors have to be openable in a ship?)
  • Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    I think we need to remove all the current weapons and implement weapons tied into the resource systems we have. Even if all those systems do is manufacture the weapon sent and manufacture the ammo modules. Then you would have to actually arm your troopers.

One thing I would love to see is a game on a map like Intergalactic-Funk with two Battlfield 2142 type Titans (level flying high altitude hovercraft with drop pods) fighting it out for some key locations. Maybe pre-assembled manufacturing plants some admins placed that have block holes at their core but some sort of method of regulated production.

I sort of like the idea of ground based combat with hovertanks and BF2142 Titans and such.
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    Can't wait. According to the To Do list on that thread, though, it needs some time to make it work well with Spacebuild, so there's that.

EDIT: Merging these threads, since they're essentially the same. Also moved to Suggestions.
  • Mr.Niceguy976Mr.Niceguy976 Registered Posts: 33
    Imlovinit.png

Also, if this can be finalized with spacebuild, imma fixin' to make one of the first spacebuild maps with spherical properties. Just like RL! :D
    MrNiceguy9765.jpg
    geo.php
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    Also, if this can be finalized with spacebuild, imma fixin' to make one of the first spacebuild maps with spherical properties. Just like RL! :D
    Unfortunately for this idea, the gravity hulls don't work like that. They're just localized areas displayed in the world, not actual gravity changes.
  • KatelynKatelyn Registered, Administrator Posts: 171
  • Mr.Niceguy976Mr.Niceguy976 Registered Posts: 33
    awww :( !!! I've always wanted spacebuild to evolve into a more realistic model. I really like the mod after seeing all the videos of it though. It should be incorporated into the source engine.
    MrNiceguy9765.jpg
    geo.php
  • MikhailMikhail Registered Posts: 24
    lol the addon is 8 kilobytes?
    monkeyk.jpg
  • AmaroqAmaroq Registered, Administrator Posts: 450
    Well, it's on the Dev. And appears to be pretty damn borked. It teleports you into the middle of the map, it seems, and doesn't do its job properly. Also, it appears to sometimes cause your camera to be stuck in some weird, tilted way, even while outside of the prop.
    Amaroq wrote:
    Well, it's on the Dev. And appears to be pretty damn borked. It teleports you into the middle of the map, it seems, and doesn't do its job properly. Also, it appears to sometimes cause your camera to be stuck in some weird, tilted way, even while outside of the prop.
    Go moan at the creator,he will fix the incompatibilities for the time being.
  • spectorspector Registered Posts: 11
    sorry for posting on an old thread but ill this be added it is a very nice addon and has been update also helps with lag and it is awesome to be able to move around in ship without it glitching around and clanking.
  • LtBrandonLtBrandon Registered, Administrator Posts: 507
    spector wrote:
    sorry for posting on an old thread but ill this be added it is a very nice addon and has been update also helps with lag and it is awesome to be able to move around in ship without it glitching around and clanking.

It's been on the servers for a long time, look for it when your in the server.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Lλmbdλ: donations for coding the space future of diaspora :>

Get your extra long EVE trial here!
  • DataSchmuckDataSchmuck Registered, Moderator Posts: 147
    Nope, it was removed due to the errors it caused every few seconds (made console logs very hard to read) and the general buggyness/crashyness of it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file