Home Tech Support
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Some Annoying E2 Bugs

TangentDeltaTangentDelta Registered Posts: 54
edited June 2013 in Tech Support #1
I've only recently noticed these bugs, and they seem to happen at random. The first one, is that an interval() within an if statement sometimes doesn't work. I found this most annoying on my landing legs, since they only run if the theta is not 0 or 45. I ended up replacing it with a timer(). The second bug I ran into so far, is that parented holograms behave erratically, acting as if they're not parented at all. My landing feet sometimes don't angle along with the legs that they are parented to. The legs on my ship are parented to hologram 0, and angle using holoEntity(0):toWorld() (hologram 0 points forward on the ship, and is parented to the parent of the ship). When I raise/lower my legs and move around, they angle to the world, instead of to the hologram 0.

It's not just my leg E2. I've noticed similar behavior (but less noticeably, since it only has a few holograms) on my back door E2. It also fails to function sometimes due to the interval() in an if statement. DataSchmuck also has the same problem. The sliding doors on his ship sometimes angle weirdly, and move only partially.

If this is a user error, and not an actual bug with E2, or is an already known problem, then I do apologize for making this useless post.

Comments

• SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    Sounds like something that needs to be taken up with the Wiremod guys.
  • DataSchmuckDataSchmuck Registered, Moderator Posts: 147
    Both of these bugs are annoying and started recently after the latest updates to gmod/wire/adv dupe.

You've already figured out the interval workaround:
    instead of
    if (Input) {
         interval(100)
         Do Stuff
    }

you now do
    if ( (~Input&Input) | (clk("something")) ) {
         timer("something",100)
         Do Stuff
    }

Next the holo parenting workaround:
    just set a delay for the holoparenting.
    if (first()|dupefinished()) {
         Parent=entity():isWeldedTo()
         holocreate(1 blablahblahblah)
         holocreate(2 blablahblahblah)
         holocreate(3 blablahblahblah)
         holocreate(4 blablahblahblah)
         holocreate(5 blablahblahblah)
         timer("parentDelay",3000)
    }
    if (clk("parentDelay")) {
         holoParent(1,Parent)
         holoParent(2,Parent)
         holoParent(3,Parent)
         holoParent(4,Parent)
         holoParent(5,Parent)
    }

This shit was bugging the hell out of me until I figured these workarounds. I know its not ideal, but for now it works.
  • TangentDeltaTangentDelta Registered Posts: 54
    Both of these bugs are annoying and started recently after the latest updates to gmod/wire/adv dupe.

This shit was bugging the hell out of me until I figured these workarounds. I know its not ideal, but for now it works.

I re-wrote my landing leg E2, and I'm not really having the issues any more. I discovered the hologram parenting workaround purely on accident by getting some timers mixed around :P
  • DataSchmuckDataSchmuck Registered, Moderator Posts: 147
    I've fixed the interval issue by reverting to an older version of Expression2's timer function.
    I've also fixed the SBEP chairs spawning above their original locations when duping.

The hologram thing I have no idea.
  • Lambda217Lambda217 Registered, Moderator Posts: 534
    parenting actual props right after they're created is also super dodgy, and has been for a while

"I want you to show this world what it means to fear the sky."
  • LtBrandonLtBrandon Registered, Administrator Posts: 507
    The parenting thing is probably just a source issue, if they're doing anything involving constraints then parenting and etc won't work until the next tick.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Lλmbdλ: donations for coding the space future of diaspora :>

Get your extra long EVE trial here!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file