Home Tech Support
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

steam... has derped my addons.

OverloaderdaveOverloaderdave Registered Posts: 87
edited June 2013 in Tech Support #1
well, I tried to play GMod, but it converted to a new format then updated the steam client. I found it had made a new "GarrysMod" folder and renamed the hold gmod to "garrysmodOld", which seems to have broken when I put SB3 onto it.

the blue loading screen appears when I open gmod but it crashes without any errors, leaving an unopenable crash report that needs C# to open. I am running windows vista, if that helps.
is it because all the file paths have changed, and SB3 is trying to find the old gmod folders?

also, I just recieved 25 copies of DOTA 2. for no reason. email from steam saying they gave them to me.
SoSxyhp.png
and yes, there are 24 here because dread has one. I dont even need them.

Comments

• LtBrandonLtBrandon Registered, Administrator Posts: 507
    Garry had warned on facepunch, his blog, and garrysmod.com to backup anything you wanted to keep before running the update. If it broke your stuff you'll probably end up needing to redownload it.

Do NOT put everything from the old folder back because you might derp your client, if you did that already(sounds like you did) then validate your client and it should work again.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Lλmbdλ: donations for coding the space future of diaspora :>

Get your extra long EVE trial here!
  • DataSchmuckDataSchmuck Registered, Moderator Posts: 147
    Why hasn't my folder locations changed? My gmod updated to version 165 but everything is still in the same old folders, nothings changed, and gmod runs fine?

Server 2 had its folders change. I pretty much just moved all our custom content and addons to the new directory (Garrysmod folder in the root of the FTP) and it runs fine, played on it for a few hours with no issues.

So why is my local copy unchanged?
  • LtBrandonLtBrandon Registered, Administrator Posts: 507
    Why hasn't my folder locations changed? My gmod updated to version 165 but everything is still in the same old folders, nothings changed, and gmod runs fine?

Server 2 had its folders change. I pretty much just moved all our custom content and addons to the new directory (Garrysmod folder in the root of the FTP) and it runs fine, played on it for a few hours with no issues.

So why is my local copy unchanged?
    You actually need to completely reinstall it for it to properly move over to the correct folder, Garry's Mod is a bit weird with how steampipe is setup. Some people have it move it automatically, some have it delete their everything, and others don't even notice the change.

Your hosting provider was smart btw, when it came back from the control panel swap they were already using steamcmd instead of hldsupdatetool, which made the swap a simple update for your server.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Lλmbdλ: donations for coding the space future of diaspora :>

Get your extra long EVE trial here!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file