Home Suggestions
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Spacebuild/Diaspora IRC

xX Lord Anubis XxxX Lord Anubis Xx Registered Posts: 170
edited November 2013 in Suggestions #1
Was thinking maybe we should have an IRC for meaningless chatter about things.

Anyone here consider hosting? Not really sure how IRC works.
Every Human Being has some capacity for evil. It's just that some Humans have a greater capacity for evil than others.

Comments

• NinjrKillrNinjrKillr Registered Posts: 175
    I'd love an IRC connection to the servers. I love being able to help people, however I don't launch as much as I used to - so I'd love to be able to catch up.

"We fear that which we cannot see... we respect that which we cannot see... thus the blade will be wielded."

Urahara_Bleach_Signature_by_Harty73.png
  • TangentDeltaTangentDelta Registered Posts: 54
    I have an IRC client up all the time on my computer, as I am a super operator on the #computercraft and #appliedenergistics channels on irc.esper.net. I'd be happy to moderate the channel, if one gets created, though I doubt the channel will get much action :P

I think the most logical IRC server to create the channel on would be gamesurge, since it hosts the Wiremod and other various Gmod channels.
  • DataSchmuckDataSchmuck Registered, Moderator Posts: 147
    does it cost anything to host a channel on gamesurge?
    That doesn't appear to be the case. There are no costs listed for creating a channel, we just need to provide the account name and a description of why we want it, etc. They'll get back to us soon after, determining what happens.

"We fear that which we cannot see... we respect that which we cannot see... thus the blade will be wielded."

Nope, with most IRC servers, channel registration is free. I've messed with gamesurge before, and channel creation is free.
  • LtBrandonLtBrandon Registered, Administrator Posts: 507
    Not at all as far as I am aware. Atleast, none of the legal crap/etc suggested that it required any form of money.

If people want this, then I'll go ahead and set us up with a channel at some point.

--Also fuck off ninjas, I was here first(I forgot to hit post before I made food >.>)
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Lλmbdλ: donations for coding the space future of diaspora :>

Get your extra long EVE trial here!
    LtBrandon wrote:
    --Also fuck off ninjas, I was here first(I forgot to hit post before I made food >.>)

I fucking lol'd.
    LtBrandon wrote:
    If people want this, then I'll go ahead and set us up with a channel at some point.
    Even if the epic masses don't necessarily want it, it'd be a great place for the awesome few of us to idle and feel awesome... rite? DO IT! :3

• xX Lord Anubis XxxX Lord Anubis Xx Registered Posts: 170
    Yay I made a suggestion that was taken into consideration!
    Every Human Being has some capacity for evil. It's just that some Humans have a greater capacity for evil than others.
    I have submitted a channel creation form on gamesurge, once it is created it will be deleted if we are inactive. So if you guys want to keep this up make sure you remain active!
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

LtBrandon wrote:
    I have submitted a channel creation form on gamesurge, once it is created it will be deleted if we are inactive. So if you guys want to keep this up make sure you remain active!
    Thanks Brandon :D
    I forgot to mention, the channel is now up. #diaspora-community

• Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    LtBrandon wrote:
    I forgot to mention, the channel is now up. #diaspora-community
    Note active I believe means that owner level ops are present often enough. My laptop, where I did all non Steam/Skype chatting is dead, so you won't see me for a bit. (When my laptop died in fact it resulted in my being unable to be in two specific IRC rooms on that server, where I was the 2nd owner, and the rooms went inactive after a while and were removed despite periodic use by non-staff level chatters.) If this hasn't been done already, might I suggest a chat tab on the server's nice little chat interface that lists the IRC contents? You can use a bot (that is owner level op of the room to keep it alive, you can have more than 1 person like this) that echoes all things said in the tab on the game server into the chatroom. You can also have the bot accept commands from Ops or other with specific credentials to do actions on the server.

I have played, way way way way back, on a Minecraft server (OvermindDL1's) that used IRC as its main chat and operated in this fashion.
    Can someone move this thread to general and pin it, or move the IRC server info to the SVN/map links thread?
  • KanzukeKanzuke Registered, Moderator Posts: 181
    Would be kinda redundant, since the channel died due to inactivity, which I blame on losing the print-to/print-from server which made it useful to be in there.

Lambda217: oh oh i am kanzuke and i love my little pony and now i'll make all the brandonphysics myself cause i know fuckin everything because now i'll make a big pony fighter drone squad and a big fuckin portal ship and i am a fuckin idiot
    Kanzuke wrote:
    Would be kinda redundant, since the channel died due to inactivity, which I blame on losing the print-to/print-from server which made it useful to be in there.
    I wasn't aware the server had gone down. Whoops.
  • KanzukeKanzuke Registered, Moderator Posts: 181
    Well, today I was rather amused to discover that not only is the server still up, but the chat from the server is being relayed to it again, probably the only thing keeping it alive.
    Now, only if it worked the other way around, and connected players could read messages posted in the IRC, it would be useful again.

At current I just feel like I'm eavesdropping.

Lambda217: oh oh i am kanzuke and i love my little pony and now i'll make all the brandonphysics myself cause i know fuckin everything because now i'll make a big pony fighter drone squad and a big fuckin portal ship and i am a fuckin idiot
    Kanzuke wrote:
    Well, today I was rather amused to discover that not only is the server still up, but the chat from the server is being relayed to it again, probably the only thing keeping it alive.
    Now, only if it worked the other way around, and connected players could read messages posted in the IRC, it would be useful again.

At current I just feel like I'm eavesdropping.
    Last time we tried, our admin permissions had been dumped, but we could still connect to the channel. I figure they just make a temporary channel when we join or something.

I thought ninjr turned his chatbot off though, it hadn't been around for a while.

I don't even remember where I hosted that bot anymore. Whoops.

NinjrKillr wrote:
    I don't even remember where I hosted that bot anymore. Whoops.
    See, its because of this derpmander that everything internet related breaks on the server :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file