Home Bans & Appeals
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Ban Request: Rema

GalvazimGXGalvazimGX Registered Posts: 18
edited February 2011 in Bans & Appeals #1
Rema" STEAM_0:1:28372735
Time: 11:00 PM EST
Reason: Racism
Apparently rema called me a Gringo and that was completely racist
Rema: thatll work too
pete: yea restart it then it will work
Rema: Just press f4
Rema: actually i mean f4
Rema: sir
Rema: Oh
Rema: its cus your a gringo
Rema: GRINGO
pete: what?
pete: who the hell is that
Rema: a white man

*** Ironwatsas facepalm
NormallyClosedSwitch: no
Rema: XD
NormallyClosedSwitch: loll
p
The guy doesnt deserve to be here
Thank you

EDIT: As I told him that he was reported he said this to my face
Rema: OH SHIT THE GRINGO REPORTED ME
Rema: I am screwed

Comments

• OneAndOnlyOneAndOnly Registered Posts: 38
    The American Heritage Dictionary classifies gringo as "offensive slang," "usually disparaging," and "often disparaging." However, the term can also be used to simply identify a foreigner and does not carry a negative connotation according to the definition in the dictionary of the Spanish Royal Academy which defines the Spanish language.
  • GalvazimGXGalvazimGX Registered Posts: 18
    We he was harassing me because im american and hes spanish. so technically its harassing players. Still he needs to be banned
  • Paper ClipPaper Clip Registered, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 87
    I don't think Rema should be banned for this. The word gringo isn't a very serious insult, and I would say it is about as severe as calling someone an idiot. It isn't a nice thing to say, but nothing that should warrant anything more than a warning.
  • KatelynKatelyn Registered, Administrator Posts: 171
    You guys ban people for saying furfag and degrading furries. I would hope I would be banned if I called someone a nigger or something equally offensive. Gringo was NOT being used in a neutral way in the context above. Just because we all like Rema does not exempt him. Do something about this.
  • Paper ClipPaper Clip Registered, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 87
    Katelyn wrote:
    You guys ban people for saying furfag and degrading furries. I would hope I would be banned if I called someone a nigger or something equally offensive. Gringo was NOT being used in a neutral way in the context above. Just because we all like Rema does not exempt him. Do something about this.

From what I heard, there was a bit more going on than just this part of the chat. I think Galv had previously introduced race about Rema being Mexican, and his usage Gringo isn't as bad as previous things said.

In the case of the furfag, I think calling the server owner "a f*cking furfag" is a lot worse than calling someone a Gringo. I think that case would have just been a warning or kick had it not been directed at the server owner. I really think Gringo is a less severe swear word than calling someone anything related to a fag, and is even less severe than the word f*ck.
  • AmaroqAmaroq Registered, Administrator Posts: 450
    As a guy who has been called a furfag plenty of times and refers to himself as such, I don't really have an opinion about this.

To me, it all depends on the intent of the word behind it. There's a difference between seeing someone Hispanic and randomly going, "Hey wetback, fuck off," and being with your friends, and playfully going, "S'up, mah nigga!" As a joke.

My opinion, though. When it comes to racism, I tend to ignore it most the time. I'll let someone with a better view on these things handle it. Steeveeo, what do you think, if you're around?
  • OneAndOnlyOneAndOnly Registered Posts: 38
    Was Steevo kidnapped or sumthing?

I think what Rema did should be punished with a max of 24 hour ban...
    Its really not that offensive...then again i do know the word for 12 hours now :roll:
  • KatelynKatelyn Registered, Administrator Posts: 171
    I never said ban; I said do something about it. Obviously any context the OP uses is going to be in his favor. That is where you dig deeper and figure out what was going on. When verbally attacked as such an appropriate response would be not responding in kind. Unfortunately it is very hard to write clear cut punishments for some transgressions because of how muddled it all gets.. If you want an appropriate punishment in my opinion, both parties should apologize and forget this happened. If it happens again, the one that initiates it gets a week ban and if the other party participated they get a 3 day ban.
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    As I believe the first time was meant to be a joke, and the second one an exasperated reply to a supposed overreaction to the joke, I shall wait a few days for Rema to post here and learn his side. If anyone sees him in server before Sunday when I close this down and resolve it, redirect him here.

I will make it clear though that derogatory comments directed at or about any race, lifestyle, or culture is NOT allowed, keep it clean.
  • NormallyClosedSwitchNormallyClosedSwitch Registered Posts: 137
    Lemme drop my 2 cents here.

We were on the server doing our own things and then Galv came on the server like a bag of fire crackers and start yelling after our props, yelling after us cuz he was overflowing and disconnecting. Then I don't really remember how it started really but he picked up a fight with Rema. At first I tough he was joking and playing that angry kid type of game (galv) cuz it was frankly hilarious and I'm sure that's how Rema took it, cuz it could be anyone on the server standing before trial, because Galv just look like that type of guy, to pick up fight with anyone "speaking" to him.

The first time I saw galv, I connected and there he was screaming like hell against I'VE GOT BALLS OF STEEL, for some parenting issues, which I resolve SIMPLY by telling him how to do it, cuz that's the only thing he needed is telling him how to do it. So I figured Galv just came up to him and started yelling at him without giving him a chance to do it. Cuz that's how he came out with Rema.

Oh! and I've heard him say "I'M GONNA GO ON THE FORUM AND REQUEST A BAN FOR YOU BALLS" so, you see the type here

So, in resumé, don't play in his little spoiled angry type of attitude, because frankly, Galv should be the one to be banned if one deserve it simply because pinking fight with people, and yelling at them without giving them the chance to correct their mistake is very bad.

So yea, give Rema a slap on the hand, but give a bigger one to Galv to make us loose our time because of his inaptitude to behave with people.

And seriously, making fun of white people? Is it a joke here? Am I the only seeing the irony of it? I am white btw... but I suppose yea, technicly, of course, no racial bs..
    "...wait, this IS rocket science!!!"
    Why should I be banned. Look I have post traumatic stress disorder which means that I get easily stressed alot and at times yell at people for no reason. the reason why I was yelling at balls is because he was spawning useless junk that is not needed. and second Rema started this crap so I didnt have a choice of picking a fight with him. but him calling me a gringo because im white is downright racist. Dont ban me because of my problems. Blame him!
  • NormallyClosedSwitchNormallyClosedSwitch Registered Posts: 137
    well, I don't think you should be banned. I don't think anyone should be banned, period. You know, I actually think you are a great guy but you should slow down and take everything a little less personal. I think Rema is a great guy too and he doesn't deserve that.

And dude, you really came down on us like a ton of bricks, out of nowhere bitching we had too much props and bitching and bitching, I don't know if u remember, but you told me I could get out of the server... I was there for like, 3-4 hours, having fun, and all of sudden you come and act like a drunk Irish on speed. (sorry, I love Irish people, I've been raised with Irish people)

So that's it, you know, for your own sake, take down your appeal, you will just feel better after it. You have to overcome your conflictual attitude, for us but mostly for yourself, you'll just enjoy your time on the server a lot more. Not to mention, we'll be able to have fun playing with you, instead of fighting over here. Like I said, you look like a great guy, we want to play with you, but stop being conflictual at every corner, it's a waste of time and energy for all of us including yourself.

Peace man
    "...wait, this IS rocket science!!!"
  • BasqueBasque Registered Posts: 2
    Not sure if this is the best place to post this or not, but it seems like it's becoming an issue, or rather a scapegoat for attempting to get people banned. Offensive language isn't offensive 99% of the time. I've called every single person on the server a wide variety of racial/sexual/religious slurs and never once have I actually meant it in a hurtful way. If it bothers you that somebody else doesn't have a problem with using certain words, ask them not to do that. Don't immediately assume a ban is in order because somebody called you a fag.
  • AmaroqAmaroq Registered, Administrator Posts: 450
    Basque wrote:
    Not sure if this is the best place to post this or not, but it seems like it's becoming an issue, or rather a scapegoat for attempting to get people banned. Offensive language isn't offensive 99% of the time. I've called every single person on the server a wide variety of racial/sexual/religious slurs and never once have I actually meant it in a hurtful way. If it bothers you that somebody else doesn't have a problem with using certain words, ask them not to do that. Don't immediately assume a ban is in order because somebody called you a fag.

This is pretty much my opinion. I wasn't there, so I can't really say what went down. Or make too much judgment on it.
    All I can say really is that he needs to watch what hes saying and just play. Look I didnt come to diaspora just to get trolled by a player who claims to be from mexico. I came there to have fun and build things. and thats what I came here to do
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    That should settle it then. I think we all need to chill out a bit, everyone seems tense and I don't see the reason behind it. I talked to Rema on the server and he only meant it in jest, and I'll state here what I told him:

The "No Derogatory Comments" rule was meant not to be all Word Police on everyone, but rather so people would understand that some people just don't like it when you say certain things to them. We cannot ban every single person who says a bad word, there would be nobody left! Everyone lets fly a comment that will offend someone every once in awhile.

The rule of thumb is this; if someone asks you to stop, please stop. Likewise, if someone says something that you just don't like, ask them nicely to not say that, don't immediately go "OMG I AM REPORTING YOU!" as that just invites ridicule and you won't be taken seriously.

I hope everyone can understand this, I am getting tired of everyone spamming my Steam chat with reports of people saying things.
This discussion has been closed.