Home Help and Tutorials
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Tutorials

jb_aerojb_aero Registered Posts: 11
edited November 2011 in Help and Tutorials #1
Something I was thinking would be helpful, and that also seems to be lacking, is an explanation of Diaspora's unique content. For example, it would be extremely helpful to have stats/requirements of the various weapons you all have designed since there is no CAF tooltip ingame. What I've figured out on my own is almost everything requires energy (duh) and rocket launcher type things require metal (makes perfect sense, but not immediately obvious). Then I know there are nitrogen powered weapons, but I don't even know what they are.

Either the svn is crap or you also really customized the mining addon. I'll try the gmod.org version to see if it's any different as far as whether it even works, but the addon itself fails at having documentation. As the lasers also do not have tooltips, it would be helpful to mention somewhere that in addition to energy they also require water on first use in an earthlike atmosphere (that was my experience anyway). It'd also be helpful to explain where to best find PN as it looks like there are no crystals, unless this is intended to encourage exploration and using scanners when mining.

Apparently the ranking info was in a MOTD at some point. I think I've figured out the hours for each rank, but it'd be interesting to know what things get unlocked at each; ie ensigns can use SBEP turrets, admirals can use zpms etc.

Oh, and above all else, an explanation of the Ship Cores feature!
Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me

Comments

• KanzukeKanzuke Registered, Moderator Posts: 181
    Many people have asked for this, and I vaguely started trying to make a full "Diaspora for caddies" Tutorial, but that never got finished.

Basics are:

Most weapons have a script so that if you press E on them, it'll print a bunch of data to the console, including required resources, amounts of each, damage, projectile speed, travel time, and other useful stuff like that. Some weapons don't work, and if they don't assume you only need energy.

Mining only requires that you have energy and you point the laser at an asteroid. PN Crystals grow on one planet on the map, and you just have to visit each until you find them.

Ship Cores:

Pick a prop, pick a core type, use tool on prop, prop becomes core, position core in ship, weld core to ship, look at pretty numbers.
    From here, press E on the core to see more in-depth info, especially in the slots tab. Here you will be able to see Number of slots available for High (Energy Upgrades), Medium (Shield Hardeners and Repairers) and Low (Armor Hardeners and Repairers) as well as two very important numbers, PG and CPU. These act as limits as well as the slot limits.
    PG = Power grid, it's increased by Reactor Control, Magneto Network and Hypercoil threading, all of which are energy upgrades.
    CPU = Processor, increased by Co-processor, Remedial VI and Neuromorphic Cortex, also all energy upgrades

Then there are 3 tiers of shield and armour upgrades, Tier 3 give the biggest enhancements but require the most PG and CPU, and the oposite of Tier 1.

Not much more to it.

Lambda217: oh oh i am kanzuke and i love my little pony and now i'll make all the brandonphysics myself cause i know fuckin everything because now i'll make a big pony fighter drone squad and a big fuckin portal ship and i am a fuckin idiot
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    Also to note, our Mining Addon is unique (in-house dev), and Fuhrball/Amaroq and I left it in a somewhat incomplete state, i.e. before the documentation was written. There is no public, official SVN for it at this time.
  • jb_aerojb_aero Registered Posts: 11
    @Kanzuke
    ah, thanks. I was not aware that the info goes to console. That would be a useful note to put on the menus for them. Ship cores, yes! I was having a hard time because the meanings of high-medium-low were not clear, and i would switch between tier 1 and tier 3 devices and have inconsistent results.

@Steeveeo
    that explains why I can't get it to work in single player. The "Gmod SVN Updater" comes with a link to what must be a quite old version of Mining, I just checked and it has your name on it and everything. But, as of that version, there was no storage or use for most materials, and you still had rubble. So if you think what Diaspora has is incomplete, you should have seen what I was trying to work with before I started playing here :lol:

and if that's the case someone might have posted this from MCBuilds era or something, but here is the link that I have if you want to find out what's behind it: http://spacebuild-mining.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
    Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me
    Unless something changed since I last played (a while, to be sure), High slots are for Shield buffs, Med slots are for Hull/Armor, and Low is for general buffs to the core, though I may have jumbled that up a little. Just note that High/Med/Low has nothing to do with Tier, which is a factor of size.

As for that SVN, I think Fuhrball threw that up as a form of Version Control that never actually got used, it is wildly out-of-date.
  • LtBrandonLtBrandon Registered, Administrator Posts: 507
    Steeveeo wrote:
    Unless something changed since I last played (a while, to be sure), High slots are for Shield buffs, Med slots are for Hull/Armor, and Low is for general buffs to the core, though I may have jumbled that up a little. Just note that High/Med/Low has nothing to do with Tier, which is a factor of size.

As for that SVN, I think Fuhrball threw that up as a form of Version Control that never actually got used, it is wildly out-of-date.
    Actually it's Low for Armor, Med for Shield, and High for energy upgrades.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Lλmbdλ: donations for coding the space future of diaspora :>

Get your extra long EVE trial here!
    Ah, had it backwards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file