Home Bans & Appeals
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

I'm getting tired of this...

Golden_CrowGolden_Crow Registered Posts: 21
edited August 2011 in Bans & Appeals #1
I'm getting a bit tired of having a "lagship".

Now I'll ask this: Does a lagship consist of about 40 (tops) props, a little bit of wiring and no gyropod? Granted it is not parented but all parts are frozen and no-collided to nearby props.

So I've been on the server for a couple of hours, building a new ship since my previous had some trouble I couldn't figure out. No one complained about lag and neither did I.

Then a guy logs in named El Mango Fuerte, all is well for 15 minutes or so until he starts complaining about lag and consequently blames it on my ship. At this point it might be worth saying that I encountered little to no lag what so ever. Anyway he wouldn't accept my defence on how it couldn't be my ship and so I moved into a building bay.

Then after having it pasted in there for about 30 minutes El Mango Fuerte starts complaining about lag once again. Now why did it take 30 minutes for him to notice this lag he was claiming my ship was causing? There is no reason. All there is to it is that he would not accept that it could be something else and continued his claim that it was my ship.

Last but not least it should be mentioned that there was more players on the server that did not complain. Sanders did even point out that it was very unlikely that my ship was causing the claimed lag.

I'm posting this as an appeal to ban El Mango Fuerte for being a douche and not listening to reason.

Comments

• Lambda217Lambda217 Registered, Moderator Posts: 534
    Why not parent it?

"I want you to show this world what it means to fear the sky."
  • Golden_CrowGolden_Crow Registered Posts: 21
    I wasn't done. There where still some things I had not added to it yet like weaponry and mining lasers. And proper controls.
  • KatelynKatelyn Registered, Administrator Posts: 171
    He's not going to get banned for complaining about something. Someone might talk to him though.
    Were you flying around in the unparented ship?

Nope, I didn't even have a gyropod when he started complaining.

Also it's just not only because he complained, that I could have endured. It was the fact that he didn't listen to me. All he said when I started explaining how it could not be me was "Here comes the victim speech". Which to me is also an insult.

I did mention that the same thing happened yesterday with another ship, which was confirmed by Brandon that it did not lag after I had pasted it. (My two latests ships do cause a lot of lag when I paste them for some odd reason, even though they are alot smaller then other monstrosities.)
    So the guy was complaining at you for not parenting a frozen ship?

Not explicitly. All he did say was that it was my ship causing the lag. It was frozen and unparented, but I have no idea if he had any sort of innuendo in what he meant.
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    Sometimes the best way to shut someone up is to copy your ship into the duper, delete the ship, and tell him to watch the netgraph as it is unaffected by the removal of the ship.

In case you're curious, open the console with the Tilda key [~] and type in net_graph 4.
    Yes I did get my netgraph working later on. I tested it and when I removed the ship there was very little change on the netgraph. I was even lucky that during the time of testing there was a similar amount of lag.

I'm also thinking that I could start using the tool that removes private ownership as the tool itself states that it reduces lag further. Just to be on the safe side.
  • DuneDDuneD Registered Posts: 31
    Steeveeo wrote:
    Sometimes the best way to shut someone up is to copy your ship into the duper, delete the ship, and tell him to watch the netgraph as it is unaffected by the removal of the ship.

In case you're curious, open the console with the Tilda key [~] and type in net_graph 4.

Yep, that always works for me, and if you want to be more specific you can even check how much msecs your ships takes from the server, checking at the var, betwen 1-10 is good, it kind of depends of the map aswell, since the more enviorments the map has, more lag is added to the server, but if your ship doesnt lag more than 10msec its ok.
    Another point that people dont seem to understand is that what usually ends lagging the server is contraptions, meaning the more contraptions, more lag (which seems pretty obvius I know) but even when that happens people like to point to 1 ship causing the lag, when its the whole bunch of shit everyone has on the server causing the lag.
    Anyway one thing to point tho, dont use nocollide, you dont need it, it just adds more constraints, stick to welding everything to a single and massive prop, just 1 weld per entity, since each constraint counts as an entity aswell and adds up to the global lag.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file