Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Must. Add. More. Slots!!

xX Lord Anubis XxxX Lord Anubis Xx Posts: 170Registered
edited July 2011 in Suggestions #1
The server needs more slots. ALOT more slots. Like 32 Slots max. :mrgreen: . Who else agrees?
Post edited by Unknown User on
Every Human Being has some capacity for evil. It's just that some Humans have a greater capacity for evil than others.

Comments

  • KamekaziKamekazi Posts: 36Registered
    You are a false god, but i agree with u on this.
  • LtBrandonLtBrandon Posts: 506Registered, Administrator
    While I understand them having it at a low slot amount, I do want more slots. If they can get the community to stop being dumb then the lag won't be to horrible. I mean really, far to many failships and faile2s around when I'm on :\

    Edit: No more than 16 slots recommended though.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

    Lλmbdλ: donations for coding the space future of diaspora :>

    Get your extra long EVE trial here!
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Posts: 849Registered, Administrator
    Unless you want to contribute to the server costs, this is never going to happen. We pay for servers by the slot, meaning that the more slots we have, the higher the price. Note that this is coming out of our OWN MONEY, not some invisible source like a government grant or free service. For the Dev server, I pay $250 a year, and I am not sure how much Fuhrball pays for the Main, but probably similar. Also consider that I do not have a job due to full-time college, and I may not be able to support it on my own wallet at the end of the year.

    There's also the fact that, at current, there is absolutely NO WAY that the servers will be able to run with the strain of any more players than it has already. It's sad to say, but the stuff we have on it so far is much too unwieldy to run like a sandbox server.
  • KamekaziKamekazi Posts: 36Registered
    Spacebuild does not play well with large groups. And remote servers are damned expensive long term :(
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Posts: 849Registered, Administrator
    Kamekazi wrote:
    Spacebuild does not play well with large groups. And remote servers are damned expensive long term :(
    And local servers are just damned expensive.
  • LtBrandonLtBrandon Posts: 506Registered, Administrator
    Steeveeo wrote:
    Unless you want to contribute to the server costs, this is never going to happen. We pay for servers by the slot, meaning that the more slots we have, the higher the price. Note that this is coming out of our OWN MONEY, not some invisible source like a government grant or free service. For the Dev server, I pay $250 a year, and I am not sure how much Fuhrball pays for the Main, but probably similar. Also consider that I do not have a job due to full-time college, and I may not be able to support it on my own wallet at the end of the year.

    There's also the fact that, at current, there is absolutely NO WAY that the servers will be able to run with the strain of any more players than it has already. It's sad to say, but the stuff we have on it so far is much too unwieldy to run like a sandbox server.

    On the costs note, you COULD take some slots off that dev server that hardly anyone plays ya know. If people weren't crazy on the weapons and shit then we wouldn't lag anywhere near as much.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

    Lλmbdλ: donations for coding the space future of diaspora :>

    Get your extra long EVE trial here!
  • Nielk1Nielk1 Posts: 252Registered, Administrator
    In most real world environments, the dev server is a tower running a server OS with a cap of like, 4 max players.

    Once you pull me back from Minecraft I can start working on cross server integration again and then we can name the servers 1 and 2.
  • ZardianZardian Posts: 88Registered
    More slots means more morons in the server spawning hugeass contrapions = MORE AGONY on and to the server, no thanks
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    the eternal pain in our beloved superadmins asses. Does stuff.
  • AmaroqAmaroq Posts: 451Registered, Administrator
    Definitely not. The reason why the server is at 8 slots now is because we can't HANDLE that much more. SB is a rather taxing bit of code, along with all the other addons that go along with it.

    The server program cannot hold up that kind of performance, and unless Valve decides to up it's limitations, it never will.
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Posts: 849Registered, Administrator
    Amaroq wrote:
    The server program cannot hold up that kind of performance, and unless Valve decides to up it's limitations, it never will.
    Don't make that sound so easy, optimizing a game engine pretty much the antithesis of that.

    Unless there's a discussion to be had here, I don't think this thread needs to stay open.
  • AmaroqAmaroq Posts: 451Registered, Administrator
    I never said it was easy. I just said that they had to increase it. But uh.. yeah. Go ahead and close it.
  • roychookroychook Posts: 23Registered
    when you say local server you mean just running out of somones home?
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Posts: 849Registered, Administrator
    roychook wrote:
    when you say local server you mean just running out of somones home?
    Yes, as opposed to a licensed server in a server farm.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
Drop image/file