Home General
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Are we going to have an issue...

Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
edited May 2011 in General #1
... when the next patch adds MP Nether? I am staying out of the nether, for building at least, simply because a soon coming patch might foobar our nether world.

Also, we need a way to make Talon more special since I accidentally found snow on the main world. It always 'thunder snowing' there would be cool, but it still needs something... more...

Comments

• SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    I'd say that the perma-night makes it the "Challenge Zone" and that it doesn't need much else. I'm not sure if it's a step above or a step below the Nether.

That is, unless someone knows how to take a map, find all the diamond deposits, and make them 3 times bigger using an automated process.
  • AmaroqAmaroq Registered, Administrator Posts: 450
    How does Multiverse work exactly? Is it possible to generate worlds and then insert them into it?

If so, you could probably use a mod to alter the amount of stuff that is produced underground, as well as making it a massive snow biome, then putting it into Multiverse.

Just an idea.
    MultiVerse is simply the linking interface between multiple worlds. It does nothing with the actual worlds themselves.
  • Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    IE if a server-side terrain generator was available, we could drop it in, and tell it to not run the custom code for the Baehr or Nether worlds but to run it for the Talon one.

Hell, you could replace all the dirt blocks in the generation with snow blocks (well, this would f*ck up trees), force it all one biome, and apply custom terrain formations, if you wanted.

It would be really cool if we found a way to dynamically generate complex dungeons instead of straight caves. Like, lots of passageways and stuff, lava/bedrock around them so you have to go in and out the designated places. Put those under Talon.

Oh, another thing that can be done with multiverse is pre-made worlds can be dropped in, but this is only suggested if we find a way to restrict the world so it doesn't expand anymore, simply because having, lets say, 1 or 2 special small worlds would work great until someone decided to breach containment. (Of course you could do so by converting a bunch of chunks to solid bedrock around a central area. You would do this if you had a very special small area world. Like if there were 100s of items in the game, you might make a marker 'world'.)
  • MikhailMikhail Registered Posts: 24
    Theres a mod that allows you to designate all the boundaries of the mpa i think.
    monkeyk.jpg
    Back to the reason I posted in the first place. Is there going to be an issue due to the normal Nether? Or can we just not know? What does SSP Nether do, make a 2nd map or somehow get mixed with the main map? I ask because if it is a 2nd world we can just drop our variant in but if it isn't we would be starting over.
    The Nether in either case is a new world file. I think it was labeled DIM-1 in SSP saves. We will have to see how it works with the new update.

For the dungeon idea, I've only seen one map generator for that, and it hasn't worked since Alpha.
    Steeveeo wrote:
    For the dungeon idea, I've only seen one map generator for that, and it hasn't worked since Alpha.

Good thing for us I am a degree-ed programming with experience in a multitude of languages (my AP classes were in fact Java). Now all I need is time. Oh wait. Dammit we need a quantum physicist here to do something to space-time.

On the programming note, the easiest method is to create a series of Lego blocks that represent entire rooms in a dungeon set and then apply basic maze generation algorithms. Most algorithms would create a path to the destination or endpoint and then fill in the rest, only having to back-step if there is an issue fitting a piece.

I think the next thing I may do on the server is design a set of dungeon rooms for later use. They will be cool to live in at least :-P.
  • MikhailMikhail Registered Posts: 24
    Well isn't our current nether for all intensive purposes just another map, but it was generated like actual nether? My theory is that we will just end up having two nethers and the portals will default to the ACTUAL nether and not our own.
    monkeyk.jpg
  • Alex4921Alex4921 Registered Posts: 139
    Just been checking about and ive discovered there is a 95% chance that the real nether portals will send us to the nether you guys have made if you set it up right(Moving the actual nether world folder of DIM-1 into the main map folder may be needed)
    The quieter you are,the more you are able to hear.
This discussion has been closed.