Home General
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Submit your Personality Sphere Ideas

Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
edited May 2011 in General #1
Well, I have done it, recompiled the Portal 2 Personality Sphere with all possible skin combinations as options. I have started trying to come up with custom eyes and such to use as well. Anyone have any designs in mind for new 'Personalities' complete with eye design? I will allow for multi-texture eyes in some cases, or animated textures or ones using proxies. ATM I am looking at a basic one that might have a really slow spin and some scan-lines generated in the VMT by a simple proxy application.

On the note of proxies, all the eyes have in their VMTs something about a LightedMouth proxy. I assume currently only Portal 2 has code for that.

For those who don't know WTF a proxy for a material is, its a series of parameters and a given name that cause special code to run for the material, scrolling, rotating, or any number of other things the base image.

So, what I need are Personality Sphere designs. There are Moron (Wheatly), Space (corrupted), Fact (corrupted), Adventure (corrupted/Rick) already. I plan to add a Morality, Curiosity, Logic, and Anger of custom design as well as some weird green one I don't know the personality for yet. I might be able to get some custom sounds for the new ones if I can get voice mechanization working, so voice actors chime in too.

I can post an image template later for the eye, though I would prefer that if you do make your eye directly, I get source files like PSDs. Eyes are 256 by 256 textures that are circular, but they don't take up the entire texture. The alpha is the self illumination but if you make such a thing with Photoshop shapes, that is easy. Designs made in Ink-Scape are perfect since I can convert them and spruce them up with no sizing artifacts.

I am mostly expecting you will all have suggestions for personalities and simple eye designs but no actual files for me.

In the end I hope to get this on the server so E2s can be made using these models, animations, skins, and sounds as ship interfaces or other devices.

Comments

• MikhailMikhail Registered Posts: 24
    Curiosity and Anger were in portal 1. What about jealousy?
    monkeyk.jpg
  • Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    Mikhail wrote:
    Curiosity and Anger were in portal 1.
    So was Logic, most ppl call it Cake. Morality, the purple one in Portal 1, never said anything. A bit boring. Might need to change that. I want to redo them in a much more high quality style. Probably using the old sounds but some new eye textures and animations. I can't make my own animations since trying to mux in my own nurfs all the stock ones longer than 32 frames. Of the 300+ stock animations in Portal 2 for these, 200 or so are like 120 frames.
    Mikhail wrote:
    What about jealousy?
    Good thought. Color? Eye design? Phrases?

We should probably mix some useful stuff in too, like numbers and resource names and such. Then we can use these for ship AIs.
  • MikhailMikhail Registered Posts: 24
    Eye color could maybe be like....really light blue (green would be preferable but Rick already took that)
    Pupil could be really small and sharp looking
    and some phrases could be like...
    "Nice gun, I want that gun. Can I have that gun? Give me that gun. Why can't I shoot portals. I wish you didn't have that gun. You ruined everything. "
    Now that i think about it this sounds more like envy, so yeah.
    monkeyk.jpg
  • ZardianZardian Registered Posts: 88
    grumpysphere
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    the eternal pain in our beloved superadmins asses. Does stuff.
    I noticed that the existing spheres have some minor cross conversation. Mostly yelling at the Space Sphere.

Ignore colors already used since we have more options than just color.

Also: I read on another board, a depressed sphere that says things like "Just jump down that pit", "this is hopeless", etc
  • Alex4921Alex4921 Registered Posts: 139
    Zardian wrote:
    grumpysphere
    Grumpy sphere so much!
    If you can create your own decent portal sound clips then i recommend the following phrases
    "I'm going to go and nerf ship cores again."
    "My spaceship got killed by lasers,lets nerf them so nobody uses them!"
    "I cant code LUA,i just hit random buttons and hope it works."

Then I recommend forcing any sphere Zardian spawns into a grumpy sphere.
    The quieter you are,the more you are able to hear.
    These would start as models and sounds and skins. After we get all that nailed out, it will start with people making E2s and then SENTS will likely be down the line. The thing lends itself more to an SNPC, but those best remain sbox 0.
  • Lambda217Lambda217 Registered, Moderator Posts: 534
    The Mustwin Sphere!

"moremjolnirsmjolnirsmjolnirs"
    "gotta have more resource caches lady lady give me resource caches"
    "shield strength 200! 500! 800! TWO OF THEM! IT'S NOT ENOUGH"
    "this facility only has 6,000,000,000 core hp! plug me in, I need to order more panels!"

"I want you to show this world what it means to fear the sky."
    Depressive
    Grumpy
    Emulous/Competitive

You guys make me want to pursue a full on SENT suite with docking bay and ship core interaction. We start with just the base files for E2s though.
    That would be awesome, funny, and set Diaspora apart from all the other servers! But what effect would the spheres have on ship cores?

Lambda217 wrote:
    That would be awesome, funny, and set Diaspora apart from all the other servers! But what effect would the spheres have on ship cores?
    None because by that time zardian would have nerfed them out of existence,I really need to get around to making that angry forum post complete with pictures about that nerf...
    I view nerfing as a necessary temporary action. It will be balanced out in the end.
    Nielk1 wrote:
    I view nerfing as a necessary temporary action. It will be balanced out in the end.
    Zardian views nerfing as a permanent action to annoy everybody using a core and forcing us to build bigger ships*

But if these cores are fixed up they should be configurable boosters instead of having craploads of shield batteries and relays all over the place you should be able to have a few of these to replace them all.

*All is opinion
    This is the Personality Sphere thread, not the Yelling About Core HP Thread. :<
    Incidentally, I can hardly wait until Portal 2 sounds are in GMod. I shall have Wheatley fixing my shields by telling the low HP siren to shut up.

Lambda217 wrote:
    This is the Personality Sphere thread, not the Yelling About Core HP Thread. :<
    Incidentally, I can hardly wait until Portal 2 sounds are in GMod. I shall have Wheatley fixing my shields by telling the low HP siren to shut up.
    Same here,I predict a ton of shipboard AI's saying "Oh dear,we have a problem" or something when the ship is under attack.
    Just to show some general progress...
    spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccee.png
    hal9000.png

We really should remove translucency from image entries. They are inheriting it from the rest of the CSS so we need to explicitly state it.
  • KatelynKatelyn Registered, Administrator Posts: 171
    There needs to be a BA core that screams, "ADARI SCUM!"
    You do realize that an ADARI is basically MAKING the Personality Cores right? :-P
  • KatelynKatelyn Registered, Administrator Posts: 171
    You know you want to come to the dark side.
    Actually I want to reform the ADARI and start again. Not have all those members who can't do jack like we had in McBuilds after CatMaster got some sort of level of control.
    How about a dick core?
    It screams "DICK DICK DICK" at the maximum volume and rolls around with a 10000 strength pressure field for 1000 radius.
  • ZardianZardian Registered Posts: 88
    is that black sphere by any chance the grumpysphere? :3
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    the eternal pain in our beloved superadmins asses. Does stuff.
    Zardian wrote:
    is that black sphere by any chance the grumpysphere? :3

I just modeled it after HAL.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file