Home Help and Tutorials
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

[MoreRecipes] What We've Added

SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
edited June 2012 in Help and Tutorials #1
About 20 minutes before originally writing this post, I finished implementing a quick little plugin that adds some useful recipes to the crafting list. There are recipes that I personally felt should be in the game already, plus a couple handy ones to have. The list is below and will be updated as the new recipes do.

This plugin adds three types of recipe to the game:
  • Shaped Recipes - These recipes need to be in the correct shape to craft successfully.
  • Shapeless Recipes - These just call for a set number of resources that can be inserted in any order or shape to craft successfully.
  • Furnace Recipes - These add to the list of items that can be "Smelted" in a furnace to create different/better items.

The Recipes
The following is a complete list of all the recipes currently added by MoreRecipes, sorted by the above categories:
  • Grass:
    grass.png
  • Redstone Ore:
    redstoneore.png
  • Coal Ore: (Bear in mind, that's COAL, not CHARCOAL)
    coalore.png
  • Cobweb:
    cobweb.png
  • Flint:
    flint.png
  • Sand:
    sand.png
  • Nether Bricks:
    netherbrick.png

Keep in mind, as of the time of this writing, there is a bug where custom recipes don't update the player's inventory properly if he/she Shift+Clicks to fast-craft the recipe. If this happens, just exit the crafting menu and it should update fine.

With all that in mind, I do think that this list is a tad lacking, and other things could definitely be added. That is where you, the community, comes in. Feel free to suggest what you think would be handy to have as any of the recipe categories above, as long as it's feasible and balanced (e.g. no "Trololo 4 Dirt Shapeless = A diamond!"), I would be glad to add it to this list, as I will be updating it as frequently as I get ideas for it!

Comments

• Ded10cDed10c Registered Posts: 136
    Might be good to have some way of crafting redstone ore, as it both is useful, and used as a building material. Would also be useful to have some way of crafting redstone and coal into blocks for more efficient storage.

And making otherwise inaccessible blocks would be useful too. Something like "1 water bucket + 4 snow > # ice". Maybe something for sponge, because I've used it a lot in my building and have no way of doing that legitimately.
  • hadleyrhadleyr Registered Posts: 51
    I've had a couple of idea, which might make sense, but that said, might be unbalanced.

1. Cobwebs. Yes, I'll accept that you can make them with a CraftBook Cauldron, but I for one can't make head nor tail of cauldrons anyway. So, in a 3x3 grid, placing 5 string in a diagonal cross gives a single cobweb.

2. String. With the addition of getting sand from sandstone, it might fit to get string from wool (single block of wool gives string), so that wool can be used as a from of string storage. But, if this is considered unbalanced, then maybe the number of string obtained could be changed (to 4 or 5 perhaps)

3. Saplings. As a form of safety net, although (mostly) unnecessary, crafting four leaf blocks (one in each corner) with a central bonemeal, to give one sapling.

One for the future
    :

Fire Charge: As a block that is only available in creative in 1.2, perhaps having these available to all might be a good idea. My idea for the recipe is one TNT block, with four nertherrack in a vertical / horizontal cross.
    [minecrafthead]hadleyr[/minecrafthead] -h.
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    Those are some nice ideas, but keep in mind, there's apparently no way to save/change blocks in the crafting grid with default Bukkit and vanilla client, currently. Depending on the response and/or future changes due to questions like these, I may be able to do stuff like that later.

E.g., grinding Cobblestone into Sand by crafting it with Obsidian, then returning the Obsidian block into the grid. This also goes for water buckets emptying out instead of just getting eaten by the process.

@hadleyr, for now, I'm going to have to pass on the String from Wool, since killing one sheep = best ranged weapon in the game, pretty much.

@AHadley, I'll think of something for the Ore, but I'm not too sure about Sponge since they don't really seem to have a use, and I'm not sure if it ever will.

EDIT: Updated first post.
    Hmm... Minecraft really needs craftable coal/charcoal and redstone blocks by default. It would be so much more useful.
  • Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    I would suggest diamond ore blocks, but then the small bit of those I have from the old Mining TNT mod would loose a bit of value.

Sponge with Sand + Gravel would be a good idea.
    Why would you want to obtain diamond ore blocks?

Also, sand+gravel is probably good, because materials along those lines are often used in industrial water filters.
  • Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    AHadley wrote:
    Why would you want to obtain diamond ore blocks?

Why would you want coal ore blocks? Its all decorative.
    Glowstone blocks take up less space than glowstone dust; redstone/coal blocks (made with just redstone/coal) would do the same.
    Nielk1 wrote:
    Sponge with Sand + Gravel would be a good idea.

Possibly, but I think it would make more sense to have wool involved, as sponge usually has a fiberous (if that's even a word) texture. So, my suggestion is (on a 3x3 grid) wool in each corner with gravel between the wool (leaving the center blank):

W=Wool
    G=Gravel
    _=Nothing

WGW
    G_G
    WGW
    I had an idea recently, that admittedly might be one to keep under wraps - as if used incorrectly, could lead to hell on the server.

Spawn Eggs
    It can be a bitch to find a certain mob (especially peaceful ones if they've been killed or moved elsewhere), so if we could make spawn eggs, perhaps just of the peaceful mobs - to prevent griefing - it could be used to get mobs where the player needs them

My idea for the recipe being:
    -Egg in the centre of the crafting grid;
    -Mobs main drop (leather, wool, raw porkchops, etc.) in the four slots directly above, below and to the side;
    -Colour wool closest to the mobs main colour (cow-black, sheep-white, pig-pink, etc.) in the four corners.

This would give 1 spawn egg - somewhat expensive, but still reasonable.
    could lead to hell on the server.

You've answered your own question. If you're that desperate for mobs, you could just ask a staffer.
This discussion has been closed.