Home General
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

Current 'Dev' (Old Main) Server News

Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
edited August 2011 in General #1
First of all, as I renamed the Main server to 'Dev' and the Dev to 'Main' I will instead refer to the servers as the F server for Fuhrball and the S server for Steeveeo, where the server that was DEV before and is now showing as the Main is the S server.

The F server has been rebuilt and is being rebuilt alone these general steps:

Initial Installation
Admin Mods

Wire and Model Packs and Minor Mods
Wire Customs
Space Build
Space Build Wire Customs

Space Combat Cores
Space Combat Weapons
Mining Addon
UTime converted to SharedTime

Unfortunately my time is primary available during weekends, though I have other projects I really must get to too I will try to get them done during the week. Thus more work will be stalled till at least Friday. So far I have put in a literal all-nighter that left me working on this for more then 24 hours straight. Today, my computer apparently couldn't take that and it overheated and left me doing not much after those initial 24. I found a plastic raincoat melted into a plastic object in a box a short distance from my tower so I am pretty sure it was an overheat.

I hope I can get a little bit of love for pulling that. As of hitting submit I will have been up for at least 30 hours.

I will be getting people to help at certain stages, if you think you can help, speak up.

Weapons will be re-added one by one so they can be updated and fixed and maybe even new ones created along the way.

The password on this server during development will be "diaspora", though for the moment it is nothing more than a sandbox with the Stargate, Stargate_Resources, CAP_Resources, SBEP_Models, SBEP_Fortifications, wire and wire extras (no custom functions yet).

Also, the Stargate and other addons are not restricted yet, but they will be.

Comments

• noldevinnoldevin Registered Posts: 27
    I'm glad to see the server getting some love, I thought it was all but abandoned. I generally don't speak for others but I'm sure everyone appreciates that you are putting in such time and effort
  • KanzukeKanzuke Registered, Moderator Posts: 181
    I agree with Noldevin, but will the F server be restored to it's original state, (i.e environments reinstalled) or will it be made into a copy of the S server?

Also, I saw your ShareTime Upgrade was on that list, will the shared dupes be coming along with it?

Lambda217: oh oh i am kanzuke and i love my little pony and now i'll make all the brandonphysics myself cause i know fuckin everything because now i'll make a big pony fighter drone squad and a big fuckin portal ship and i am a fuckin idiot
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    Kanzuke wrote:
    I agree with Noldevin, but will the F server be restored to it's original state, (i.e environments reinstalled) or will it be made into a copy of the S server?

Also, I saw your ShareTime Upgrade was on that list, will the shared dupes be coming along with it?
    Most likely, we'll be going back to SB3 and LS3 instead of Environments. The latter causes way to much hassle to be worth it.

ShareTime and Shared Dupes are two completely different systems.
  • Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    Shared Dupes still has several concepts on 'how' but no code. Shared time has a 'how' and the local server side portion is nigh completed. Only the central server is truly missing.
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    Nielk1 wrote:
    Shared Dupes still has several concepts on 'how' but no code. Shared time has a 'how' and the local server side portion is nigh completed. Only the central server is truly missing.
    Still saying that the forums would make a nice nexus for that kinda stuff.

Just gotta get Paperclip to setup the database connections.
    He did, but I do not like how he did it (if I recall). This was a bit ago.
  • DataSchmuckDataSchmuck Registered, Moderator Posts: 147
    many many years ago, back before even Mcbuild's, I used to play on Tomato's servers. He had 3 servers each set to a different map and when you saved a dupe on any one of them it got transferred to the other 2 by the next day. He also had global chat across the 3 servers, and even stargates working across servers (only tansported players across).

It was great because it made the 3 servers feel like 1 giant server, very cohesive. I don't think they had figured out shared time yet, though.
    For shared time I am making each server the 'god' of its own time, where it shares it with a remote location via basic URL vars (and session info, so don't get any ideas ya hackers). It gets its info via the page that loads from a given URL. And it keeps a local copy of all data for in cases when it can't access the central server.

It is really basic, might get improved in the future.

Now, that server you mentioned probably had a CRON job on it. If we had access to SSH on these servers I would have a clean update client and all sorts of other cool things.

I know of a method that can not only link the gmod server chats but the minecraft if we really wanted to. That uses IRC, meaning that it can be set up so Ops in the room or rooms can do in game actions.

Do you wish me to look into a shared chat for the servers? Getting an IRC chatroom is very easy.
  • DataSchmuckDataSchmuck Registered, Moderator Posts: 147
    it would be pretty awesome to have a shared chat between the two servers and the minecraft server. But it might fill the chatbox up with non-relevant stuff speicific to the server. maybe options to switch between local chat and global chat?
    Indeed. The gmod version is separated with a 2nd chat area and a prefix to type to it, but the minecraft replaces the base chat, hence why I have not perused it yet.
  • noldevinnoldevin Registered Posts: 27
    If there is a shared chat, it should be between the spacebuild servers only. I feel like combining minecraft would be too much chat and it would get cluttered with irrelevant chat. Perhaps admin only minecraft chat so admins can poke in, but that's all I'd support.
  • Lambda217Lambda217 Registered, Moderator Posts: 534
    Plus, Minecraft and Spacebuild don't really have much to do with each other, unless we put that awesome make-your-own block Zeppelin mod on the MC.

"I want you to show this world what it means to fear the sky."
  • AmaroqAmaroq Registered, Administrator Posts: 450
    >Implying that the chat in the SB servers is relevant to anything
    C'mon guys. Really? Most people talk about random shit anyways. It's not gonna kill you if some other people discuss random things. Especially if they're separated.

Not to mention that programming a way to turn off the MC chat for your own client would be easy as hell, if it's really THAT bothersome for you. Hell if I know why it would be, but people are irrational sometimes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file