Home General
Welcome to the new Diaspora forums, please let us know if you see anything broken! Notice: Some users may need to reupload their avatars due to an issue during forum setup!

I'm Thinking About Running a Test (Minecraft)

SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
edited May 2011 in General #1
An experiment, if you will, in expanding our horizons. How many people would be interested in Diaspora: Minecraft Survival Multiplayer?

A couple things to go along with this, of course. For starters, I'm going to be building a new computer as a Media Server anyway, so I may have some spare power to devote to something like this. In about 2 weeks (after I get back from Spring Break*), I'll try running this on my home PC for about a week to see how this all runs. By about the end of that, I'll have the parts necessary to build the new computer at my doorstep.

A couple preferences I would like to get from you guys:
  • Public or Private? That is, should the server be open to all, potentially letting in griefers, or should it be left to a username whitelist, delaying new joiners until someone sees that they want in?
  • Mods and Managers? Which would be the best to run on the server? I'm thinking Bukkit and Essentials to start, but there may be something better I'm missing.
  • Interest? Most importantly, who all would actually PLAY there, making this all worthwhile? I.e. who has Minecraft, wants to play it, and/or would actually GET Minecraft to play here?
  • Nether? Should I bother setting up a secondary server to link in the Nether? I know it's doable, I've seen that servers can be setup this way, I'm just wondering if it's worth the hassle. This will probably be delayed until the initial week-long test passes and I get the new PC built.

Depending on how much bandwidth this sucks up, actual player interest, and willingness to split attention between GMod and Minecraft, I may keep running this server on my network. Oh, donations would help keep the server running smoothly too, funds always help. ;) (Fuhrball has the PayPal link somewhere)

*Actually found out I GET a Spring Break on the Friday beforehand, go figure...

Comments

• Alex4921Alex4921 Registered Posts: 139
    I would most certainly endorse this however i would just like to point a few things out.

1:
    Dont just make another survival server,make it unique somehow(A Nation(Towny mod) based War game would be an example)

2:
    2 Servers are not required for nether,it can be set up on 1.

List of mods I recommend:
    Bukkit
    Essentials
    Heroic Death -Has messages in chat such as "Alex4921 drowned in a huge vat of sand" and these messages can be customized
    WorldEdit -Used to edit the world for building projects or grief fixing.
    LWC -Used to secure chests,doors etc etc
    Towny

As for Towny it is used to create towns where only the town members and owners can build,which stops greifers ruining the town and allows for a community to start up(And eventually a nation out of a few towns)

As for public/private I would recommend having it whitelist based or you will just get trolls on there.
    If you need a hand ive had experience running minecraft servers so just give me a call.
    The quieter you are,the more you are able to hear.
  • Psi-Xi 7Psi-Xi 7 Registered Posts: 28
    Its about time someone finally mentions minecraft here.

Ok, here is the rundown for the server I run for minecraft.

Utilizes Bukkit.
    Plugins include:
    Movecraft
    Minecart Mania
    CraftBook
    CommandBook
    WorldEdit
    WorldGuard
    godPowers
    and Housedeeds.

I also have a multiple - worlds mod, and about 30 plugins I made specifically for my server. Java is something I do know, anyway.

I have my own version of permissions/group manager/whatever, because that is the most important method of keeping order.
    Side note: my server was under a state of rebellion as a joke, its currently down as a result.
    If you are serious about having a Diaspora minecraft server I would love to build stuff on it. If I am not programming mods to antagonize people or fix said griefings, I am building craploads of structures.
  • KatelynKatelyn Registered, Administrator Posts: 171
    I run a small minecraft server from my desktop that I use. I been thinking about adding towny, iconomy, and a good factions and trading plugin. My goal would be to make a player driven economy and encourage people to make settlements. Maybe even make nights a little harsher than normal if there is an addon for that to encourage people to not camp out at night.
    Katelyn wrote:
    I run a small minecraft server from my desktop that I use. I been thinking about adding towny, iconomy, and a good factions and trading plugin. My goal would be to make a player driven economy and encourage people to make settlements. Maybe even make nights a little harsher than normal if there is an addon for that to encourage people to not camp out at night.
    Its called mobs.
  • KatelynKatelyn Registered, Administrator Posts: 171
    I wasn't aware if there was one or not. I really need to get a dedicated box.
  • ZardianZardian Registered Posts: 88
    just dont get tons of silly mods and im okay with it.
    allso please for the love of god dont let it be another LULZ`CONSTRUCTIUNZ SURVUR, aka hugeass pointless glass towers. please.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    the eternal pain in our beloved superadmins asses. Does stuff.
  • SteeveeoSteeveeo Registered, Administrator Posts: 849
    To start out, it will definitely be a Legit Survival server. That is, anything you want to build has to be gotten by your own work, rather than a bunch of give commands.

Anything more than that will come after I figure out if a Diaspora Minecraft server is even plausible, and therein making a dedi-box.

P.S: Posting from a train, whee! WiFi at 80 miles per hour, GO!
    Steeveeo wrote:
    To start out, it will definitely be a Legit Survival server. That is, anything you want to build has to be gotten by your own work, rather than a bunch of give commands.

Anything more than that will come after I figure out if a Diaspora Minecraft server is even plausible, and therein making a dedi-box.
    Oh god forget /give,freebuild servers that give you all the shit you want on a plate are just awful and over done.
    I still think a Nation war server would be the best way to go as there is not many about,if you need to choose a map i would also recommend the seed "gargamel" as it makes for a GREAT map for this sort of thing
    Alex4921 wrote:
    Steeveeo wrote:

Oh god forget /give,freebuild servers that give you all the shit you want on a plate are just awful and over done.
    I still think a Nation war server would be the best way to go as there is not many about,if you need to choose a map i would also recommend the seed "gargamel" as it makes for a GREAT map for this sort of thing
    It probably would not be a straight up war server, as, like our GMod servers, some people actually like to build in peace.

However, I am not opposed to having events based in this either. By this, I mean like having a 10-person "404 Challenge", build competitions, wars, etc. 24/7 war just borders on the line of grief.
    Steeveeo wrote:
    Alex4921 wrote:
    Steeveeo wrote:

It probably would not be a straight up war server, as, like our GMod servers, some people actually like to build in peace.

However, I am not opposed to having events based in this either. By this, I mean like having a 10-person "404 Challenge", build competitions, wars, etc. 24/7 war just borders on the line of grief.
    Naturally not 24/7 war,nobody likes that but having Towny gives you opportunity to start wars,nobody likes going to war but say 1 nation has a strategic location that another wants they could go to war.

Reasonless wars suck,so i think if a nation wants to go to war it must have a damn good reason.
  • ZardianZardian Registered Posts: 88
    i agree with this nation thing, sounds fun, allso.
    we could have event type wars after which the maps restored from backup, meaning no work is lost n shit. just for the fun.
    on a sidenote, try this seed, its epic even if a bit "over" for mp.
    (be sure to include the -!)
    ps. nether? yesyesandyes
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    the eternal pain in our beloved superadmins asses. Does stuff.
    I just thought of something hilarious.

If the Nether were to work in MP, and we had a war event, I'd imagine that using the Nether to "tunnel" into the enemy complex would be rather effective, and possibly quite frightening.

Imagine: Night falls, the enemy is oddly quiet. A couple archers patrol the town walls, watching for movement. Suddenly, an explosion in the middle of town! As the dust settles, there can be seen a dark portal, with the entire enemy army pouring out of it.

Then, to top it all off, a Ghast spawns and starts shelling the place.
    Steeveeo wrote:
    I just thought of something hilarious.

If the Nether were to work in MP, and we had a war event, I'd imagine that using the Nether to "tunnel" into the enemy complex would be rather effective, and possibly quite frightening.

Imagine: Night falls, the enemy is oddly quiet. A couple archers patrol the town walls, watching for movement. Suddenly, an explosion in the middle of town! As the dust settles, there can be seen a dark portal, with the entire enemy army pouring out of it.

Then, to top it all off, a Ghast spawns and starts shelling the place.
    Been there,done that and it was a great battle(Yes,a ghast did spawn and yes,their houses were made of wood)
    Nether works fine in MP with mods,and you don't even need 2 servers.
  • Nielk1Nielk1 Registered, Administrator Posts: 252
    The only mods I suggest are a means to make flowers/shrooms grow, pumpkins grow, and so on. There are mods to make them grow if there are free same type adjacent tiles (pumpkins don't since they are on dirt surrounded by grass) and one that does it with Bone Meal (the Bone Meal one working well because of the ability to add leaves to trees with it and less CPU overhead).

Personally, I think a modded server/client combo would be best so we would have more control. Aether anyone?

Might be best to wait till Minecraft is more complete.

Also, last I checked MP Nether on same server didn't fog or light correctly.

If possible, the arrangement I would use is thus:
    Towny world - The starting server, no wilderness building, start in the central spawn town or some such. Transport could be allowed though 'Chaos Gates' made of solid gold blocks with diamond block pivots. I think about .hack//SUFFIX when I say that. Then it would have to be something the town worked together to make, legitimizing it. Of course, then players need to do some tasks to make money to be capable of buying a plot of land to be able to start to be productive. Maybe a base starting gold count?
    Free world - You can own land, but not in the form of towns. Basically world guard with payment though currency you gained in the town. (I would play here most often.) We should write a custom mod allowing you to return to a town of rough geographical closeness (across the 'dimensions', provided you are 'allowed' in said town) by chat command. All transport from a Town Gate to the free world would cause you to appear at a gateless point of the same X/Y as the gate you entered (though the different world) unless you somehow constructed a Chaos Gate inside of your Free World domicile.
    Nether world - Hell, reachable only by the normal obby gate.
    Aether world - Sadly only an unreleased SP mod atm, but it would be epic. Reached by its own gate type.

The only issue with my plan is do Nether (and Aether if that is possible to use in the future) gates link to Towny or link to Free? You can't invade a town if it links to Free unless Chaos Gates are made unlocked entirely, but then a simple security measure in the town itself would protect you.

Chaos Gate = A method of travel to unsafe areas where by keeping a solid separation between the Chaos and the Town. The mythos goes that the breakdown of the system makes a town dangerous. In our case, the town would be governed by towny and the gate just a method of travel between towns or to the free realm.
    I dislike the idea of a "Towny world" where there is just 1 central town,i absolutely LOATHE overbuilt huge servers with nothing but 1 central mega town for miles around.
    The idea of Free world would also kind of suck as you cant get towns but rather just little outposts with no sense of community,no "real" fighting/wars.
    Still think the idea of a nice world seed with towny mod and a few other mods would be nice,perhaps a SMALL spawn town with a few things such as a shop,forge town hall etc for people to stay in/about(But not join) till they can join a real town or simply go off and build their own house elsewhere.

I for one would not play on the arrangement Niel described,we do need an economy system but having a huge spawn town and the same goes for all these different worlds which simply complicate matters and make it more difficult and confusing for players.
    However the Aether is a good idea if implemented into the game when released.
    Alex4921 wrote:
    I dislike the idea of a "Towny world" where there is just 1 central town,i absolutely LOATHE overbuilt huge servers with nothing but 1 central mega town for miles around.
    The idea of Free world would also kind of suck as you cant get towns but rather just little outposts with no sense of community,no "real" fighting/wars.
    Still think the idea of a nice world seed with towny mod and a few other mods would be nice,perhaps a SMALL spawn town with a few things such as a shop,forge town hall etc for people to stay in/about(But not join) till they can join a real town or simply go off and build their own house elsewhere.

I for one would not play on the arrangement Niel described,we do need an economy system but having a huge spawn town is awful and the same for not being able to have player towns.

Well good because that is not what I suggested. I suggested the main world being a Towny World not a MONOLITHIC Town World.
    Spawn town is just a place to spawn safe normally.
    Nielk1 wrote:
    Alex4921 wrote:

I for one would not play on the arrangement Niel described,we do need an economy system but having a huge spawn town is awful and the same for not being able to have player towns.

Well good because that is not what I suggested. I suggested the main world being a Towny World with MANY TOWNS.
    Spawn town is just a place to spawn safe normally.
    Yes however having different worlds for all this will simply complicate everything and having a specific world that just has towns on and nothing more would be kind of bad as there would no creativity,just nothing but towns which would probably end up merging into a huge conurbation city(Ive seen it happen,with about 3-4 towns and a spawn town on Project Genesis server)
    Alex4921 wrote:

The thought of the Free World is it is a resource rich land of untold and unknown wonder. Where people can make mega-structures and strange things were in the town they have to pay taxes and if they start a town maintain it to an extreme nausea.

I refuse to play Minecraft on a Towny server. I tried. It was such shit I will never play unless there is still a frontier. When the only way to protect your far flung outpost is to make a town yourself that barely lasts a week before it implodes due to funds, there is no way to have fun. At least, no way for me.

I am the sort of person who does MASSIVE exploration dotting the landscape with different buildings of different types. All well made.

Think of it as Metropolitan, Frontier, Hell, and Heaven.
    I am now back home and have a little spare time. I may start setting up the test server today, but I need to know about what the general community interest in this endeavor is.

I've attached a poll to the first post and will tally the responses at the end of the day, please vote as you can. Note that the poll is for the interest in expanding the horizons of Diaspora into Minecraft territory, not if you have or have not Minecraft nor about if you like/dislike Minecraft.

I will start counting the votes in the next 6 hours, but I'll leave the poll up for a week to help decide if this is a permanent thing or not.
    I really do loath towny worlds as the only world.
    Nielk1 wrote:
    I really do loath towny worlds as the only world.
    Don't worry, I do not plan to run Towny, should I set this up.

At most, it will have IConomy or something similar.
    Good good.

Whitelist.

Disallow moronic building. (penises, block piles)

Be sure we can revert masses of land somehow to their generated state.
    Nielk1 wrote:

There's no automated way of searching for "Monolithic Penis", so that would have to be up to the ops to enforce.

World Edit I believe can revert chunks. Also, I have a couple other editors that can remove chunks for regenerating.
    Steeveeo wrote:
    Nielk1 wrote:

There's no automated way of searching for "Monolithic Penis", so that would have to be up to the ops to enforce.

World Edit I believe can revert chunks. Also, I have a couple other editors that can remove chunks for regenerating.
    BigBrother can rollback chunks.
    Personally I like my somewhat .hack inspired set up, but it would require custom mods.

Meanwhile someone I talk to often that Steeveeo knows of from the Battlezone II community is trying to make Minecraft Spacebuild.
    There is a mod that allows you do use bonemeal to do a lot more. It can grow leaves on tree stumps, grow grass on dirt, flowers and mushrooms and pumkins will even spread with it.

Ask OvermindDL1 about it Steeveeo if we can't find it. On his server we used to use one that made flowers, shrooms, and punkins spread to same tiles (punkins turned the grass under them into dirt and thus never naturally spread, dirt floored farms worked well) over time as a factor of total player movement (or some such event to hook to lower the stress to the server) but it made some mighty big flower fields at times (though they can't jump elevation with auto-grow, they can with bonemeal) and Overmind said it spammed a server console a lot saying 'could not find place to spread/grow' because all the close enough tiles were occupied, not dirt or grass, or at a different elevation.
    Will keep an eye out for it, right now we're just setting up, so things might be a little weird.
    Zardian wrote:

Just got around to trying this in SP. MAN that's a lot of overhangs! Nearly died in the first 3 minutes due to all the monsters underneath!

By the way, looking for huge, near One-Biome map seeds! Preferably either Snow or Desert.
  • LtBrandonLtBrandon Registered, Administrator Posts: 507
    That seed is INSANE.
    Ohmy.png
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Lλmbdλ: donations for coding the space future of diaspora :>

Get your extra long EVE trial here!
  • Psi-Xi 7Psi-Xi 7 Registered Posts: 28
    Steeveeo wrote:
    Zardian wrote:

Just got around to trying this in SP. MAN that's a lot of overhangs! Nearly died in the first 3 minutes due to all the monsters underneath!

By the way, looking for huge, near One-Biome map seeds! Preferably either Snow or Desert.
    I might be late to the thread, but not late for the comment.
    Currently there are no single-biome seeds due to the map generation process.
    You have to use a biome terrain mod. The PhoenixTerrainMod was just reborn and is out for single, multi, and Bukkit servers.
    I will put a link when I have my computers hard-drive reattached. You could also just Google it.
    It works quite well, in addition, a GUI for adjusting world options is in the works.
This discussion has been closed.